Recommend a cab simulator/direct box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a cab simulator/direct box?

I have a Hughes & Kettner Red Box Cabinetulator Mark IIG (wow that's a mouthfull) which is old as hell. I'm sure there is something better than this now.

Stuff I've looked at:

Palmer PDI-09 (this seems outrageously expensive for a simple passive device... $179?)

Hughes & Kettner Red Box Classic

Behringer Ultra-G GI100 DI

These are all just little inline boxes. I'd rather have something rack-mount but can't find anything that's reasonably affordable ($200 or less.)

Anyone have experience with these units, or using anything like this with a slave out from your amp, to go to a PA or recorder?

as weird as it may sound, there have been times when i have gone from the send of my effects loop into the front of a line 6 POD 2.0 set to the "tube preamp" model, but with a cab model assigned for direct recording. it has worked great.

what's cool about the "tube preamp" model is that it can be set with no color from the EQ and minimal gain since the amp is hitting as hard as i set the "send" level on the loop. to make it for totally silent recording, i will insert a dummy jack into the return, set the return level at zero, the just use the preamp.

but i have not tried any of the devices you listed above.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

try googling.. ADA Monstercab and head over to ADADEPOT.com

Comment

Originally posted by bloodandtears View Post
        try googling.. ADA Monstercab and head over to ADADEPOT.com
        I knew about this... Well, the Microcab anyway. I wish I could find one! Palmer makes a rack unit that's active and stereo... $925! A little too expensive. The Microcab would be perfect. I wish someone made something like that (in that price range) still.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
          I knew about this... Well, the Microcab anyway. I wish I could find one! Palmer makes a rack unit that's active and stereo... $925! A little too expensive. The Microcab would be perfect. I wish someone made something like that (in that price range) still.
          You'll be lucky to ever find a MonsterCab because not many people have them and those that do don't get rid of them.

Microcab 1s can be had on the cheap ($75-$125). I had (3) of them I sold a few months ago for $75 each.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
            You'll be lucky to ever find a MonsterCab because not many people have them and those that do don't get rid of them.

Microcab 1s can be had on the cheap ($75-$125). I had (3) of them I sold a few months ago for $75 each.
            YOU SON OF A BITCH! You didn't save one for me?

I know I would be lucky to find one. Sooo lucky. Maybe I should hold out for a while, though.

Comment

YOU SON OF A BITCH! You didn't save one for me?
              Well, I did post them here and sold at least 1 to a member. All in all I have (3) Microcab 1s, (1) Microcab 2 and (2) Ampulators but I don't need any of them now that I have the Axe-FXs

I know I would be lucky to find one. Sooo lucky. Maybe I should hold out for a while, though.
              Check out the ADA Depot boards. That's your best bet for a fair price.

ETA: This guy is selling one that I sold him for $75 (+ shipping) so I'd bet you could haggle a bit with him on it.

Comment

I had a MicroCab - that thing didn't sound good. The H&K Redbox is decent - I have one if you are interested. The Palmer PDI-09 sounds really good.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I also have a pair of the Behringer's - I'd sell those too if you want. The H&K is a bit better though.
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Hey thanks for the continued input, guys.

So, hippietim, I actually have the OLD Red Box still and think it works (have not tried it yet) and I do remember it sounded great when I used it with my Marshall Studio 15, although there was a lot of hum (which was the amp).

It's more the form factor of those units I don't like. I guess I could velcro it to the inside of the rack case or something. :dunno:

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                      Well, I did post them here and sold at least 1 to a member. All in all I have (3) Microcab 1s, (1) Microcab 2 and (2) Ampulators but I don't need any of them now that I have the Axe-FXs

Check out the ADA Depot boards. That's your best bet for a fair price.

ETA: This guy is selling one that I sold him for $75 (+ shipping) so I'd bet you could haggle a bit with him on it.
                      Thanks, I will check that out.

Comment

that palmer is the best there is. Friend of mine used to tech for slipknot and mudvayne, i couldnt believe it but he said a lot of bands are using this instead of mics. I saw kings x in july and ty was playing egnaters and using a palmer. probably in the top 5 guitar tones ive ever heard live.
                        Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Well, for that much jack it ought to sound good!

Comment

Man just get a real cab
                            "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
                            Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

I have a cabinet. :think:

I'm trying to avoid a mic (and a lot of loud noise), not a cabinet.

Comment

Working...
                              X