Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any E-MU 1616m or Focusrite Saffire users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any E-MU 1616m or Focusrite Saffire users?

Not sure where else to go with a recording interface topic, so here it is. I've all but ruled out USB for my next recording interface, and have narrowed it down to the PCI-based E-MU 1616m or Focusrite Saffire FireWire. Both have built-in effects that (supposedly) can be run as VST plug-ins in virtually all recording programs. The E-MU has the same analog/digital converters as in the high-end Pro Tools HD systems, but the Focusrite gets great reviews about its mic preamps. My band has been recording guitars and bass through our vocalist's ancient Digi 001, but once we're done, he's selling it and I'm buying my own interface for my home studio. Just trying to get the best bang for my buck, and either of these two interfaces seems to offer that.

If you've used either one, please chime in!
    sigpic

I've been a 1616 (the PCMIA laptop interface version) user for three years. The patchmix program can be a little tricky to figure out, but can be mastered in a few hours of playing around.

Even though it is not the "m" version, it sounds darn good, so I would imagine the "m" version would be even better. I used to have a Digi001/Mac G4 setup that died do to a lighting strike (fried all the electronics in my house). I honestly get better sounding recordings using this interface and Sonar 8. I'm running a maxed out Inspiron and using a seperate drive for audio and can honestly see myself using this combo for five or six more years.

I was about to drop crazy money on recording equipment when I replaced my 001/Mac, but then I realized unless I was spending mega bucks (ProTools HD, 1K mics, etc.), there would really be no noticable difference in performance among most of the highly derided "prosumer" gear. For a total intial investment of $1900.00 (computer, memory, extra drive, interface, and Sonar Producer Ver. 5), I ended up with an easy to use and good sounding setup.

I use the Emu effects primarily when done tracking. There can be some latency issues if you don't offset/use the plug-in correctly - but it is nothing as bad as what happens with the 001.

The soft synth that comes with it is good as well. When I purchased mine, it also shipped with Ableton Lite, Amplitube, T-Racks, etc. I took advantage of the cheap upgrade path available with most of the demo software that it shipped with.

Comment

Are the plug-ins running directly from the 1616, thus using no CPU capacity? That's something that I haven't seen adequately described so far.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X