Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worth it to UPgrade Speaker in MG15 CDR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth it to UPgrade Speaker in MG15 CDR?

Hi
    Is it worth it to upgrade a 15W combo practice amp? I don't know what the rating of the speaker is in efficiency (92db 1 watt?) or whatever, but the speaker, it does sound muddy to my ears. Kinda like you have cotton in them? Its not a bad amp though, it does the job.

The good thing is that I only paid $50 for it, while the new price goes over a $100-$120.

I looked at some 8" jensen speakers and they run about 25-30 bucks.

Looking for a bit more clarity and maybe 3db more power. I actually prefer a 12" speaker though, which leads me to my next option.

Or should I just say forget it and get another 2x12 50w fender on Craigslist for an avg price of $250? I don't know if those sound good at lower volumes or not.

Another option is to upgrade this 15w amp speaker and still get another 2x12, but I want to know if you think its worth it in the first place. If it was more powerful tube amp there would be no question.

What say you?
    Equipment
    -Jackson Kelly Std. Professional J003908 (blood red) w/TB-5
    -Marshall MG15 CDR hosted by
    -VOX Tonelab ST (tube)

I'm going to say "no." No, its not worth the time, effort and money it would take to cram a 12" speaker into a Marshall practice amp.

I have the little Kerry King Marshall MG as a little fuck around amp, and it sounds really good pumping out a POD either through the main input or the aux-in.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

oh I didn't mean cram a 12" into an 8" hole, thats ridiculous. I mean buy another 8" speaker for this amp.
      Equipment
      -VOX Tonelab ST (tube)

Comment

Originally posted by Danzo View Post
        oh I didn't mean cram a 12" into an 8" hole, thats ridiculous. I mean buy another 8" speaker for this amp.
        Oh - then that's even less worth it.
        Blank yo!

Comment

Oh ic. Thanks for your reply..

Hey I tried googling info on the speaker efficiency in db per 1 watt, but that information isn't available on Marshall or anywhere else online.

I guess I'll try saving for another amp.

Fyi, the resale value of 15w amps are pretty low too.
          Equipment
          -VOX Tonelab ST (tube)

Comment

Originally posted by Danzo View Post
            Fyi, the resale value of 15w amps are pretty low too.
            Well, for 15w POS practice amps that cost peanuts to begin with, you're right... something like a Fender Princeton is a little different.
            Blank yo!

Comment

Yeah thats the problem with 15w amps, its not just the wattage, but its the sound quality features, and cheap parts.
              I was looking at a fender Princeton for a negotiable price starting at 299 and lower.

My vox pedal sounds better through headphones than it does through the amp..
              They just don't make quality sounding low wattage amps out there. It begins to fart at half volume, so I don't think it gets more than 1 usable watt. 15 usable watts is rare..
              1 Watt is very loud but its not getting anywhere near loud and clean.
              Equipment
              -VOX Tonelab ST (tube)

Comment

I think you're expecting A LOT from a cheapo practice amp.
                Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                X