2x12 combo recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2x12 combo recommendations?

So I'm thinking of picking up a 2x12 combo, mainly to be a more portable alternative (vs my JSX 1/2 stack) for jams with friends and/or around-the-house loudness.

Specs I'd look for:

- Multi-channel is a must-have, preferably 3. i.e., Very high gain, mid-gain, clean.
    - All-tube is preferred, but I could be convinced otherwise.
    - Needs an effects loop for my GT10.
    - Must be foot switchable, both channels and loop. A solo boost would be cool, too, but not necessary.

Not looking to spend a ton on this, but I would pay up for the right amp if it really knocked my socks off.

Recommendentions, please? And descriptions as to why would be great, too. Thanks.

If you have a dealer that carries them, check out the Traynor Custom Special 90 amp. I did a review of the 1x12 50 watt combo here...

Here is the manufacturer's page on the amp...

The amp should run around $850 USD or so I'd imagine, so it is good bang for the buck.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

2x12 combos imho are a bigger pain to lug around than a head and separate cab 2x12...
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Nah. Not IMHO, and I've had a lot of experience with lugging one around to band practices & jams.

Comment

You could consider the Peavey Ultra series, they made a 2 x12. It's 3 channel, foot switchable, it has a loop but not sure if the loop is foot switchable.

Although I see you already have Peavey gear you might want to go with something different.

I see them on Craigslist from time to time, usually for a few hundred $.

Great amps, very versatile, I have the single 12 version.
          "We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer. "
          Zakk Wylde

Comment

its not 3 channel but, the old 5150 combo?

Comment

well its a 1 by 12 but the mesa mark v sounds nice
              "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
              Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                - Multi-channel is a must-have, preferably 3. i.e., Very high gain, mid-gain, clean.
                - All-tube is preferred, but I could be convinced otherwise.
                - Needs an effects loop for my GT10.
                - Must be foot switchable, both channels and loop. A solo boost would be cool, too, but not necessary.
                Carvin V3... three channels, parallel and serial loops (smart loops that can actually turn on and off when switching channels) and solo boost. It's even MIDI compatible. I've got the head and love it. http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitaramps/v3series.php
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Mesa Roadster 2X12.
                  Sounds great at all levels, 4 channels, throw a clean boost in front of it and an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop and you'll be in tonal bliss. also compliments the JSX very nicely in stereo.
                  If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Yeah, the Carvin and Mesa were on my "to look at" list. Wish I had some good sound clips of each, though.

The 5150 wouldn't be a bad choice, either, but I'm not a big fan of its high-gain tone. It's cool and classic, but not what I'd prefer.

Comment

its not 3 channel but how bout a Laney VC30 2x12

Comment

Randall RM100C. You might spend more than what you want but you will be pleased.
                        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

i made the call to get a head and opt for a 2x12 cab for upgradability later on and the simple fact that i can tote my head to a friends house with a cab when i can't fit my cab in my car.
                          good tone isn't something you learn, its something you develop.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
                            Randall RM100C. You might spend more than what you want but you will be pleased.
                            I was just watching their product demo videos online, of the head version. Holy s**t, that thing is cool!

Comment

I love these things. If you don't like the tone just go get a new module or have one modded. Very easy to bias as well if you want to try different power tubes. A little more expensive but well worth it.
                              http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X