Digitech 2112 and 2120 problems with pots or encoders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digitech 2112 and 2120 problems with pots or encoders

My encoders or "digital pots" on my Digitech 2112 and 2120 preamps are all bad. 4 on each of them. they dont work. you turn the knobs and the values on the screen go all ape shit. had this problem years ago, and I sent it to digitech to get it fixed, and they replaced one and upgraded the 2112 to the 2120 chip. anyway, all 8 of these are bad now, and are these easy to replace? or are they a pain in the ass to heat the solder up to get them off the circuit board?? I would probably need a solder sucker to do it correctly. any place to buy these cheap? or you got to get them from digitech???

any ideas folks???

thanks for any info anyone can provide.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Was having the same issue with mine. Just put a couple drops of rubbing alcohol down the shaft of the encoder while spinning it to get it down in there. Seems to have done the trick. May have to do it a couple times. I'm sure someone will say that is a bad idea but if they are going to have to be replaced anyway if it doesn't work, it's worth a shot.

Comment

Thanks Jeremy. yea, I dont care if it ruins them, they arent working right anyway. I dont see how it can ruin them though, I mean if they arent powered up, and you wait until the alcohol evaporates, it should be fine. I wonder if electrical contact cleaner would work too? how do you get he alcohol down there? just use a medicine dropper or something?? stand it on end and pour it in?
      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Dropper right over the top of the shaft or can use a q-tip and give it a little wiggle and give it a few turns. I dont think contact cleaner is a good idea as they usually have lubricants which probably aren't good for the encoders since the insides are plastic and don't work on an actual electrical contact like a normal potentiometer.

Comment

Working...
        X