Bugera 333XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugera 333XL

I'm currently in the market for a new head, (I have a Peavey Windsor that I can't stand) and originally I was looking at the Burgera 6262, but after hearing some soundclips I think I prefer the 333XL more. But unfortunately the only Burgera dealer in the state only has the 6262 in stock. So if anyone here has a 333XL or ahs played one, any input would be greatly appreciated.

I heard tons to clips on www.youtube.com. Check em out.

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

What don't you like about the Windsor?
      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
        What don't you like about the Windsor?
        I can't for the life of me get a decent clean tone out of it. I've tried replacing the tubes, but still, not matter what I do there's still some overdrive there. So the only way I can get a usable tone out of it is by running my POD X3 through the FX loop, and even then after two years of tweaking my settings I just can't get a balls to the wall crushing distortion out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rattlehead22 View Post
          I can't for the life of me get a decent clean tone out of it. I've tried replacing the tubes, but still, not matter what I do there's still some overdrive there. So the only way I can get a usable tone out of it is by running my POD X3 through the FX loop, and even then after two years of tweaking my settings I just can't get a balls to the wall crushing distortion out of it.
          Ah, there's your problem. The Windsor is designed to be a one channel classic rock tone amp.

Honestly, if you like the tones from your POD, just get a power amp and play it through that, or even plug right into the PA system. Even a tube amp with a fantastic clean channel will still color your tone.

Or better yet, just sell the POD and get a Flextone or a Vetta, or even a Spider Valve.
          Last edited by Spivonious; 10-08-2009, 04:05 PM.
          Scott

Comment

The POD is really nice, but honestly I only use like 5% of it's capablities. I'd just really like to get a tube head with decent cleans and a good lead channel, and a few stompboxes. I've been using multi-fx for six years and I'd like to try something, for a lack of a better term, simpler.

Comment

I've been gigging my 333XL since I got it the beginning of this year. So it's got plenty of hours on it. There's a pic in this thread : http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93570

This amp is a workhorse! For starters let's get 1 thing straight... These amps are the real deal and are quite possibly the best bang for the buck IMO. They're loud as hell, quite loud enough to keep up with the loudest of amps. They have no problem cutting thru the mix of a live band either. Unlike alot of other lower priced tube amps, this thing is by no means a 1 trick pony. All 3 channels are usable and you can get some great tones across many styles of the musical spectrum.

Most of the video reviews out there don't really capture the true sound of this amp. So here's a quick rundown.

Channel 1 - Clean. Clean means clean. Pristine, like fine crystal. I'd put this amp next to any fender or rivera for clean tone and the diffrence is minimal.

Channel 2 - Crunch. Think Marshall 800 meets Mesa MKIII excellent for straight up rock to 80's metal galore. Warren DeMartini's or George Lynch's 80's tones can be NAILED with this channel. Punch in the XL button and it gets very 80's Metallica tonewise. This channel actually has a wider gain range than expected.

Channel 3 - Lead. This channel REALLY shines. If metal is your thing, search no further. Pantera? Does it. Slayer? Does it. Soulfly? Does it. Korn? Does it. Ozzy? Does it. Megadeth? Does it. Very versitile metal channel. The analog noise gate on this channel does a nice job of cleaning up the tube buzz associated with all high gain tube amps without changing the tone of the amp or killing sustain. That was a nice surprise. Another thing is that there are UNGODLY amounts of gain to be had with this channel.....and unlike some other amps (I'm referring to the 5150 in particular, which IS a great amp too) all the gain is usable without sounding like a flubby mush machine after say 6 on the dial. Add in the xl button and and it gets more bottom heavy and overall punchier.

Other great points are that the overall tonal sweep from the eq controls is very good and very responsive. The effects loop is great if you use outside effects, but it also doubles as an adjustable boost feature which I do use regularly. The footswitch (which could use about 5 more feet of cable since I use a full stack) is really built like a tank and works great without any delay in switching. The Reverb is good and usable, plus it has smart memory. If you turn it on for one channel then switch to another that doesn't need it it remembers.

Those early reviews of the 1st batch should be paid no mind as they've sorted out ALL the issues from the early models and these amps will take it really well if you push it's limits. Louder is better right?

Do remember tho, that there are some plastic parts that work great but must be paid attention to when moving it from gig to gig. Then again, if you're rough enough with it to break stuff off....maybe you should switch to drums! lol

All in all a great amp for a great price that in my expierience has gone head to head live with the likes of VHT ultraleads, Dual Rectos, 5150's and others and has more than held it's own.

Hope that sheds some light for you.

PS - by the way, do stay away from their cabs tho. While they're built well, these amps sound best thru celestians.
              Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Awesome! Thanks a lot Voice, that was just what I was looking for. This helped me out tremendously.

Comment

Don't mention it. I know there's a lot of misinformation out there about Bugera amps and they're really not fair. I figured I should give an actual account of one that's been pushed hard and has been thru many load ins and load outs without issue. It really is a great amp!

Good luck in your search.
                  Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Comment

Originally posted by VoiceX3 View Post
                    Don't mention it. I know there's a lot of misinformation out there about Bugera amps and they're really not fair. I figured I should give an actual account of one that's been pushed hard and has been thru many load ins and load outs without issue. It really is a great amp!

Good luck in your search.
                    I think I finally need to really consider either the 333xl or 6262 though im more leaning towards the 6262 as I dont like any crunch channels for that mid=low gain tones prefer single channel amps for that...

Comment

Nice info Voice - glad to see someone saying something good about them rather than crying like all the shit that was in the other thread.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Truth be told, I think that no matter who says what, there are a LOT of gear snobs out there (here on the forum) that will shoot down anything that is made cheaply and sold inexpensively.

I proudly buy super cheap stuff and I am extremely happy with a lot of it (not all of it :lol). Win some lose some.

I don't think any of the 13 FX on my board cost more than $60 each. Comparable "brand name" FX to some of them would've run me twice that.

So to those willing to spend the $ on something like a Bugera I give ya'll a big thumbs up. Play em loud and prove their worth the coin!!!

I don't think you need to spend huge $$$ for good tone.
                        Last edited by bombtek; 10-11-2009, 03:03 PM.
                        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          Nice info Voice - glad to see someone saying something good about them rather than crying like all the shit that was in the other thread.
                          It's funny. When i first got it a lot of people were waiting for it to burn up after like 2 gigs. They're all convinced that it is a pretty badass amp now.

Comment

I just ordered one and it will be here tomorrow. Everyone who doesn't charge shipping and ST, is out of stock but I found a dent and scratch one for $480. I thought it sounded great at low volumes when I checked it out a few weeks ago.

Comment

Bugeras are awesome amps for the price. I personally dont like them because I cant get the sound I want but if your in the market for a Hi gain tube amp I would start with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X