Line 6 - XT, X3 or M13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 - XT, X3 or M13

Ok a month or so ago I went to test a Digitech Rp500 vs a 1000 but was spun round to the Line 6 M13. Yes it sounded awesome but it was more than I had at the time and I wanted an expression pedal. I still play with an ME-5 right now and wanted to expand.

Well I have been exploring used Line 6 gear and read a lot of good things about the XT plus it can be found for a great price often. The X3 has more and initially I preferred the switches although I seem to hear they can cause issues (any one know ?) I have a chance at a brand new (well barley used at all) X3 for about $400 I am still checking Ebay for a sub $200 XT but I was thinking maybe really an M13 with an external expression might just be better. Most people do not rate amp modeling so the M13 gives all the boutique effects lots of loop options and an external pedal would mean placing either side or any where you want. Do people think that is a good way to go or is the XT for the money just as good?

IT all depends if you want the amp models if you dont get the m13
    "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
    Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

I don't have nay now and so nothing to miss, I did thing they might be cool for recording purposes. At the moment I am kind of thinking if I find an XT for 200 or less I will grab it, but what I really fancy is an M13 with Expression for $400 (I have seen them listed just not in my state)

Amp modeler would however let me go straight to a PA skipping the amp if I needed. There are times this would be very handy.

I had been offered an XT Pro with Midi foot pedals for $250 a great price but I think less flexible than a floor board.

Comment

X3. I've had all the PODs and the X3 kicks ass. Need to practice when the missus is sleeping? No problem, put the headphones on. Need to record? Plug into the computer via USB. Need to run a JCM 800 on the left and a Silver Jubilee on the right? No problem, dial it up. You can also set it up to just use effects and then map the models for those into patches and plug in the floorboard.

I'm assuming you're talking about the X3 Pro for $400 used, right? Because the bean is $400 brand new.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

The POD X3 Live (floor unit), $499 most places this one is 6 weeks old guy was talked into it when he bought first guitar. My only worry is those new switches, now the warranty is unsigned so I would get the 12 month warranty I had just heard in the last few days that build quality of the XT was a lot better, what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by creeduk View Post
            I had just heard in the last few days that build quality of the XT was a lot better, what do you think?
            The X3 bean is really not that easy to program, honestly. The XT bean was a bit easier. The floor version of the X3 seemed even more cryptic to me. I think the XT floor was easier to program. As far as "build quality" I think the X3 is pretty top notch, so...
            Blank yo!

Comment

Just so we are on the same page

this is the one

Thishas vocals as well, does it allow the use of a vocal and guitar at the same time? My wife is a singer and I am mainly wanting to repace my Boss ME-5 because it is from the UK so needs a transfomer which is a pain and it is old and needs care from time to time and I will be accompanying my wife on the guitar as she sings.

I had looked at some rack effects but I dumped all my stuff and the hassle of getting back into preamp seems to much rgiht now. For years I have been happy with my Boss and my combo 100W amp. I would like to do more with the computer so again a new pedal would help there. I think the M13 is seeming less and less flexible it would need a good DI I guess or preamp. If only they built a preamp on that sucker, they could still forget modeling but give at least a good line out would have really helped

You may have put me back on the X3 track..what price though, you have been a good source for pice advice before

Comment

The X3 can do vocals as well, but I can't speak for how they sound as I've never used it for that.
                Blank yo!

Comment

Going to head over to youtube (got to love that site) see if any body did vocal review.

I read this at line 6

Perform live using POD X3 Dual Tone processing to turn your POD X3 Live into both a vocal processor/preamp and a guitar amp modeler/effector, and simply send a single stereo pair to the house as you sing and play your sensitive heart out!
                  Of course would love eventide or something for the missus but as she sings with nothing on her voice typically and just the tweaks of an EQ on the rack by the amps and the high, mid and bass of the mixer this subtle addition may be cool. Worth me switching, well time would tell I guess.

p.s. I have to say I still love that M13 though but I know it is not what I need for all my situations only 70% of them. (must stop looking at it, unless I found it and a DI and expression for $400 ish then it no)

Comment

Grandturk will kill me, but I still prefer the tone out of the POD 2.3 over the PODxt with all model packs. Granted, I haven't expermented with the XT to the fullest depths.

Remember if you buy the XT and want the model packs, they'll run you an extra $100.

The X3 has them included.

Comment

True, I have seen some local sellers who have already purchased and loaded these, so I guess as long as I back up the unit I would be good to go?

Comment

Nah, Don - I'd have to kill a lot of people, and that would just be messy. A lot of folks prefer the POD 2.x over the XT and the X3, etc, etc. There's all kinds of claims about fizziness, and the 2.x being warmer and all that. A lot of the debate focuses exclusively around the JCM 800 model, too - aparently lots of people loved the original model from the 2.x and the newer model is actually a model of a hot rodded 800.

I don't know about fizziness, and the 2.x 800 model was kind of wimpy to me.

With the X3, I have this one preset with a Clean Boogie sound on the right and a breaking up Boogie sound on the left, that is just killer.

I also have this preset with two JMP-1s setup EQ'd for high end on the right, and low end on the left, with the left side just a micro second delayed. I get a really cool doubled guitar sound - think like Phantom of the Opera.
                        Blank yo!

Comment

OK so I tested the X3 in the store and could not quickly get a great sound (mainly clean sound) but the M13 was awesome. I decided OK do that and just keep playing through the amp and mic it.

BUT after I bought it I found the stage noise is really a bit of an issue and I needed in one setting to play quiter of course I could not get a good sound I needed to crank the amp for distortion/OD. I had 10 days to see if I liked it so it is going back, awesome tones and if I could afford it I would keep it and add someting with amo modeling, either a Sansamp or XT or X3. Any way I can't so back it goes.

Well now I am revisiting the whole which model and threw back into the equation Digitech, The RP1000 has $100 off right now (everywhere). X3 Live seems to get top vote in many effects top 10's but all the ones I saw seem pre the release of the RP1000 unit. Has some great effects, flex, strength and 20 sec looper.

Any thoughts? I am going to take back this weekend.

Comment

i have an XTL and it survived a flood. i let it dry for 7 days and it still works perfectly.
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

That is good going, how long since? I had a friend had a floor unit flooded we had it work for about 6 weeks but it failed eventually (the minerals from the flood can cause havoc with slow corrosion)

It is funny back in January I was all set to get an ME-70 (I have an ME-5 had for ever) and I did not like the fact it had no usb or midi or eq like my original unit and that plunged me into a new quest. I had a few months of zero cash and then started again this last couple of months..seems every thing we chose we sacrifice something I guess I am thinking get as much as I can for as little and leave room to buy a looper later or what ever else is missing.

Also that nagging doubt about the X3 live was I read a lot of people had the expression pedal fail and need replacing.
                              Last edited by creeduk; 10-22-2009, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X