Which power conditioner should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which power conditioner should I get?

Now that I finally have a decent tube amp, I would like to get a power conditioner to protect it. Prices seem to be all over the board. Do any of you guys have recommendations as to which one to get?

monster or a furman plus series 2, any one that's really worth a shit is bucks.
    you can probably find a series 2 in the $100 range on the bay, monsters are a bit more when i was looking.

Comment

One with lights. They look so steezy!

Comment

Another vote for Furman. Never had any problems with mine.

Comment

If you mean a true power conditioner then the low level Furmans won't cut it. Those are just rack mounted power strips with a fuse. Furman does make better power condiotioners like the AR1215, etc... which regulate the voltage to the amp and are more money. These come in handy at clubs where the power supply they have leaves a bit to desire. I ran into this issue at one club locally where the voltage was so bad it caused my Uberschall to drop its volume to talking levels!
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Thanks guys. I read up on this quite a bit last night. It seems to be a pretty deep subject, surprisingly. I agree that the voltage regulator ones look nice, but I ended up just getting a Furman PL Plus, for $120. Hope it helps.

Comment

Bah! I just tried looking for one of those AR1215's. Is this strictly a USA model? I used to own a UK version PL8-E, which I had the hardwired power inlet cable extended by HHB Communications (London). Cost me around £250 at the time. I would prefer to have a male IEC connector as it's inlet as found on my Samson unit, so I can chain as many IEC cables together to reach my mains socket (there's only one socket in the room). The Samson is crap. The unit bends off it's rackmount faceplate. The Furman PL8-E I used to own was built like a tank.
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
                Thanks guys. I read up on this quite a bit last night. It seems to be a pretty deep subject, surprisingly. I agree that the voltage regulator ones look nice, but I ended up just getting a Furman PL Plus, for $120. Hope it helps.
                The PL is not a true power conditioner. Its a fancy power strip and comes in handy to plug in your amp and pedal board or rack, etc... together so you are less likely to get hum. The more expensive AR units ensure a constant voltage within a certain range. Depending on where you play you may or may not need this. In my case, I definetly needed it one particular night at one club. I thought something was wrong with my amp. Thats how bad the voltage was in that place and my Uber did not like it at all. Luckily, my Randall RM100 wasn't as finicky about the voltage and that got me through the night.
                Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Just find an ultra rare VHT power conditioner... these were about $800
                  when they were new in 99'... (OK, enough bullshit! I put a VHT sticker
                  on a $70 Furman! LOL

Comment

The Monster stuff is awesome but it ain't cheap. Their voltage regulator is about $1500-$1600.

Martin
                    2008 PRS 57/08 Custom 24 Blueberry #67
                    2005 PRS Custom 24 Tobacco Sunburst
                    BC Rich Mockingbird SL Trans Red
                    1997 Jackson SL1 Shannon Soloist Blue Ghost Flame
                    Jackson SL1 Violin Amber
                    Jackson SL1 Eerie Dess Swirl
                    Carvin DC 400 Flame Koa
                    Jackson Jenna Jameson King V
                    Diezel VH4S Head
                    Mesa Heartbreaker Head
                    Mesa Triaxis
                    Mesa 2:90
                    Mesa Maverick 212
                    Vox AC15H1TVL 112
                    Marshall JMP 212
                    Fender Super Sonic 112
                    Egnater/Rocktron TOL 50 212
                    1997 PRS Standard 24 Maple Top Black

Comment

Yea, I think the basic Furmans provide noise filtering and some basic surge protection, but thats about it. the actualy "conditioners" are really expensive.
                      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Working...
                      X