Tube rackmount power amp suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube rackmount power amp suggestions

At some point in the near future I'll be investing in a tube power amp for a rack set up. I've always had tube heads but have decided to go with a tube rackmount power amp.

I'm interested in the following (latest models out there..prefer to go new but considering used):
    Carvin (excellent price & I've had good luck with other Carvin amps)
    Mesa Boogie (50/50, 2:90, etc..???)
    Marshall Dual Monoblock (50/50, 100/100)
    Engl
    VHT (Fryette)
    others??

I'd be running this through two Marshall 1960(a/b) cabinets using a Digitech GSP1101 preamp and lean toward the 80's metal sound (Lynch,DeMartini,etc.-but favor more bottom end).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    2 BC Rich USA Gunslinger's-lightning bolt graphic
    BC Rich USA Mockingbird-candy apple red metallic
    BC Rich USA STIII-gray snakeskin
    Ibanez RG770DX-lazer blue
    Kramer Sustainer American-black

Lots (LOTS) of threads on this. Do a search.

Comment

Look into the VHT(Fryette) 2:50:2 or 2:90:2. I have a 2:90:2 and its a great power amp. Also, you may want to check out the VHT 2150-one of the best power amps ever, but I don't think they still make them. Look on ebay of a used one.

Comment

I keep hearing nothing but positive things about the VHT amps. Thanks for the recommendation.

On a side note, I did check the search feature. Did not find any threads relating directly to rackmount power amps. If there is a thread I'm missing, post a link.

But for anyone who reads this who runs a setup with one of these amps, the pros and cons of your setup would be appreciated. Someone had mentioned the Randall power amp too, is anyone using that amp as well?

Comment

VHT 2150 is what your looking for..
          http://www.facebook.com/HairRaidBand

Comment

Originally posted by usa dk1 View Post
            I keep hearing nothing but positive things about the VHT amps. Thanks for the recommendation.

On a side note, I did check the search feature. Did not find any threads relating directly to rackmount power amps. If there is a thread I'm missing, post a link.

But for anyone who reads this who runs a setup with one of these amps, the pros and cons of your setup would be appreciated. Someone had mentioned the Randall power amp too, is anyone using that amp as well?
            To answer your question about the Randall power amp, yes I picked up a used one off E-Bay a while back. I'm using it with a Randall RM4 preamp with those MTS removable modules. Its nice in that its cheaper than a Mesa 2:90 or VHT and it allows you to used different power tubes in each channel if you want. Mine has 6550's on one side and 6L6's on the other.
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Own an VHT 2:90:2 and have played the mesa series. The thing has some serious punch to it. I would recomment that. Guy I played with had the Carvin and couldn't wait to replace it.

-Nate
              Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

I'd go with the older Mesa Boogie 295 stereo simul class. They're big, they're heavy as hell, but it's the best damn power amp I ever worked with.

Make sure it's not the 2 space version, gotta be the big one like this...
                Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

I have a Mesa 2:90 & a VHT 2:50:2 and really like both of them. The Mesa has more headroom and is a bit fuller overall with more punch while the VHT is a tad warmer. I've also ran through a VHT 2:90:2 and feel out of the three it's hard to beat for metal. Very brutal, aggressive amp.

Comment

I've been very happy with a Marshall 9100.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses so far!!
                      I'm actually glad to hear something negative about the Carvin amp. Guess there's a reason it costs so much less. Someone else told me it won't offer what I'm looking for.
                      So far Mesa and VHT is in the lead. Mesa is more readily available but the VHT sounds like the top contender.

Comment

I use a VHT 2/90/2 and a Mesa 2:100. Both are great. The Mesa links with my Mesa Triaxis the best because of the Mode switching feature. With the VHT, I use it with a Sansamp PSA 1, ADA MP-1, and a Marshall JMP-1. Great matchup. Mesa uses the 6L6 type output tube where the VHT 2/90/2 uses the kick ass KT88 output tubes. Face melting to mellow Jazz tone is available.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Man, Bengal, I would love to hear your rig. I love the SansAmp, and I have heard great things about the VHT.

Oddly enough, I had a JMP-1 and couldn't get the sounds I wanted out of it. I thought that would be perfect with my 9100.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
                            Man, Bengal, I would love to hear your rig. I love the SansAmp, and I have heard great things about the VHT.

Oddly enough, I had a JMP-1 and couldn't get the sounds I wanted out of it. I thought that would be perfect with my 9100.
                            Just about any preamp sounds awesome thru the 2/90/2. I keep it at 50 watts stereo in the studio through 2 Marshall 4 X 12 cabs. The Mesa rig goes thru an additional set of Marshall cabs.

I would have thought your 9100 would have sounded great. I was looking for one awhile back, but decided to stay with the VHT.
                            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

The 2150 is ridiculously heavy and ridiculously loud. You don't get any of the good stuff out of it until it is brutally loud. I would get a VHT 2502 or a Boogie 2:90.
                              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X