Carvin half stack vs .... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin half stack vs .... ?

So I'm updating my entire rig in the next couple months, a new band project has kind of given me a kick in the @ss to do so. I was looking at the Bulgara(sp?) 5150 clone.

Now I'm kind of looking more at Carvin, the V3 and the Legacy. I can't seem to locate the audio demos for either of these.. (will start looking at youtube)

I will be working on two projects and one band, the projects are gothic/metal, and country (yes country) and the band is thrash metal and some "prog"

think either of these amps would work well with that whole range? I also have the line 6 pod x3 live so I'm sure I can fiddle with that to help.

Also can anyone recommend a distortion pedal, i want a distortion that sounds almost metallic. I want something that literally sounds like metal grinding.
    Last edited by eakinj; 11-13-2009, 02:06 PM.
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Oh! The other question. Right now I have a crate power amp I am using (200watt through a crate half stack) with my Line6 as my pre-amp. I am also wondering if I couldn't just buy a new cab and a better power amp? Seems like that might be a way to go. But I would rather hear someone who actually live performances under the belt to tell me that would be a viable solution

Comment

i used to use the line 6 flextone II head when they first came out. i know that is a bit outdated compared to now, but....

prior to that i was using a stereo rivera rig. i used a 120 watt (60/60) head into a pair of rivera 1x12 cabs and a mesa recto 2x12. my effects were run in stereo through the loop in a wet/dry set-up. it was a great sound. it looked impressive on stage. it was heavy.

when i got the line 6, my attitude was that i'd scarifice some awesome-ness for convience. well, in the live context, the line 6 was NOT comparable. it lacked "feel".

so i went back to the rivera rig. i am still using it.

my point?

if you are going to be playing live, keep loking at the carvin stuff and use your line 6 as a supplement for effects. the V3 has incredible versatility and assignable effects loops. i bought one when they first came out. it sounded awesome, but they hadn't worked the bugs out yet and ended up returning 3 heads. they have since worked out the issues.

the V3 had a great clean tone, a nice usable crunch channel and a ripping lead channel. i was VERY impressed. at the time i bought the V3 i also had a soldano astroverb, blackface fender tremolux, silverface fender bassman, marshall 2204, rivera M100, rivera S120 and a boogie MKIV. the V3 was like taking a fender, a marshall, and the boogie and putting it into one head.

as far as the bugera, i just bought the V22 and am EXCEPTIONALLY pleased. it makes a great practice/jam amp. i wouldn't gig with it...some of the parts seem flimsy, like the jacks and switches, but it sounds wonderful.

hope some of this helps.....
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

oh, and my band gigs regularly so i am speaking from a performing perspective - not a sit in the bedroom and play alone view.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

v3

Comment

I love my V3 head.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The V3 is a great amp and will probably suit you better than the Legacy due to the sheer volume of the Legacy. Plus you get 3 channels versus 2 in the Legacy. And yes, I've had both and wish I still had the V3.

Comment

If I didn't already own the best amp in the world I would be playing a V3.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                  That best amp in the world wouldn't happen to be a Randall MTS, would it?

Comment

Well you can find a used splawns of ebay for 900 bucks.
                    "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
                    Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Legacy and V3 sound clips (Werner1 on Carvin forums)
                      Legacy sound clips (Bryan K aka bkkornaker )
                      V3 sound clips (FastRedPonyCar)

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
                        That best amp in the world wouldn't happen to be a Randall MTS, would it?
                        we have a winner

Comment

Sounds like the V3 is the winner here. Though I'll have to look into splawns which i hadn't heard of before, and now I'm also curious about the Randall MTS.

I'm seriously considering instead of buying a guitar + amp, just putting my money towards the amp stuff and getting really good stuff. I have 24 or 25 guitars and a lot of them are jacksons, i'm sure i can find something to play.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                            So when did you get a Bogner Ecstasy John?
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

If ya got any questins about the splawn (nitro in particular) ask me
                              "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
                              Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Working...
                              X