Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Marshall sound for home recording?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Marshall sound for home recording?

I'm sure this is a familiar situation for many of you

I'm looking for some kind of pre amp/stomp box/else that gives me a good, dry boosted Marshall JCM 800 type sound recording straight to a computer. You know, that has the nice thump when you do palm muting and doesn't sound like a beehive when you play chords. So far I've tried a Vox Tonelab and a Pocket POD. I liked how the Vox sounded but I sold it because I thought I could get better tones from something else. The Pocket POD was awful to set up because I needed both of my hands to adjust some of the parameters. I have no need for a clean sound(I have a volume knob on my guitar) or other effects.

It can also be a real amp since I own a Shure SM57 and a mic preamp however my experiences with micing amps have so far been less than good. The recorded sound mostly consists of the acoustic string noise and my chair squeaking and not too much of the amp sound(And neighbours start complaining if I crank up the amp). :p I'm not playing in a band atm so getting max volume isn't an issue.

Oh, and my budget is around 400USD or 300€

Here's what I've got so far(recorded with Tech21 British and software cabinet emulator)
    http://www.student.oulu.fi/~heikkhan/soundi.mp3

well, i have always been happy with the pod 2.0. i had a 1981 vert input jcm800 2204. it was an awesome head, but it was so loud it rattled the fillings loose in my teeth. i won't say that the pod 2.0 was JUST LIKE the real deal, but it was close enough that i didn't miss the 2204 once i sold it.

the 2.0 is way easier to use than the pocket pod and it has better sounds. i have seen them used for as little as 80 USD.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Nice recording. That's the first Megadeth song I learned.

I don't think you're going to get better than the Vox for the price. I hear good things about the new Marshal MG DFX amps, but haven't heard one in person. Here's a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1-jC...om=PL&index=13
      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
        well, i have always been happy with the pod 2.0. i had a 1981 vert input jcm800 2204. it was an awesome head, but it was so loud it rattled the fillings loose in my teeth. i won't say that the pod 2.0 was JUST LIKE the real deal, but it was close enough that i didn't miss the 2204 once i sold it.

the 2.0 is way easier to use than the pocket pod and it has better sounds. i have seen them used for as little as 80 USD.
        LOL! I still love my POD 2.0/2.3. I have an xt but just use it for the tuner

With my 2002 LP Std. (stock BB Pros) and the model 4D on the POD, I can pretty much nail early Def Leppard tones. I'm pretty lazy and tend to use the presets, and for me, the old POD works great.

Of course this is my apartment / hotel rig. I have a DSL100 1/2 stack at home.

Comment

I would say the POD recommendations would be best. you could probably get them with a Marshall JMP-1 and a cabinet simulator too. the POD would be easier.

if your going with an amp, nothing nails the boosted Marshall tone better than a Splawn Quick Rod. but that dont fit in your budget, but OH does it sound outstanding. Not even Marshall sounds more marshall than a Splawn.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Are you sure about that? I've always thought that Pocket Pod had exaclty the same models as Pod 2. Has anyone tried the newer Vox Tonelab models? I had the original blue desktop model and I was wondering if the newer models added anything new.

Comment

Go with the Line-6 Toneport models. (They may be called "Studio" models now.)

They are designed to by used only for computer input/recording purposes though so you can't use them away from the PC but the gearbox software interface is awesome.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                Go with the Line-6 Toneport models. (They may be called "Studio" models now.)

They are designed to by used only for computer input/recording purposes though so you can't use them away from the PC but the gearbox software interface is awesome.
                I'm using Linux so no special software for me

Comment

yeah but with the pod 2.0 you can record balanced signals.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I love the sound from my pod 2.0 (2.3). Not much I haven't found really close presets for on the customtone library and tweaking with the Line6 edit software. I assume you can't do that with the pocket pod. And with the floorboard I hardly touch the pod anymore. Except for when I'm feeling especially randy....

Was that out loud??
                    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by zuppermuhle View Post
                      Are you sure about that? I've always thought that Pocket Pod had exaclty the same models as Pod 2. Has anyone tried the newer Vox Tonelab models? I had the original blue desktop model and I was wondering if the newer models added anything new.
                      the pocket pod i tested out was a bit like canned ass compared to the 2.0. it may have the same models, but i couldn't tweak it to get the sounds i am used to. the line 6 edit is awesome with the 2.0. it makes the unit a lot more tweakable and easier to use.
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

the pocket pod i tested out was a bit like canned ass compared to the 2.0. it may have the same models, but i couldn't tweak it to get the sounds i am used to. the line 6 edit is awesome with the 2.0. it makes the unit a lot more tweakable and easier to use.
                        That's one reason why I love the XT - the Line 6 Edit software.

Ok, clue me in guys. What type of USB -> Midi cable do I need to the POD 2.0 where I won't have any compatibility issues?

And you know, so many love the tone of the POD 2.0, I wonder if it might achive collectable status like a TS-808 or a 2550?

Comment

Had the POD 2.0, XT and have the X3 and Pocket POD. Also have the Jam Looper as well from Line 6.

Flat out, I prefer the models on the XT and the X3 to the POD 2.0. More of the amps I want. I never liked the 800 model on the 2.0 - it sounded too much like an unmodded, unboosted 800. The Pocket POD is real close to the 2.0, but its been so many years, I can't tell you how close. The Pocket POD is cool, but you can't record through USB and it eats batteries for breakfast. A lithium rechargable iPod style should have been #1 priority for Line6 on this one.

The XT and the X3 are very easy to hook up to your computer to edit and record from. USB simple. Plug in and go. The 2.0 was a fucking nightmare with the Midi to USB converter. It worked... eventually... sometimes... it was like I was trying to play a DOS game through on a Windows 95 machine in 2004. Technology left the 2.0 behind.

Tone wise, to me, when I got an XT, I said "wow." It sounded that much better - that much more "in the room" through headphones. The X3 didn't wow me with the sound so much as the features - especially the dual amp mode. Very cool, otherwise the models and effects were all the same.

The 2.0 felt the most solid and was easy to program on the fly. Each model seems to become less so - less solid feeling, more difficult to edit on the bean itself. The X3 really needs to be edited on the computer.

In this thread I've posted some clips recorded with the X3 - http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96641

There's one that I think sounds really good - this rhythm track - http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...d=7933243&q=hi Its my ProMod, PAF Pro neck and I think either a Marshall Bluesbreaker or a Bassman model... I forget - but it sounds real to me. I know I know - its not hi-gain Marshall.

Now, all that said, I play 90% of the time through the Jam Looper now, which you can't hook up to the computer at all, and doesn't have the same models - instead its got those Spider Green/Red Blues/Crunch/Metal/Insane channels. I can't get a good clean sound, I can't get a great metal sound - but once the drums and the backing track comes on - it doesn't really matter.

These were recorded with the Jam Looper -

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...songID=8115560

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...songID=8115559
                          -------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                            I never liked the 800 model on the 2.0 - it sounded too much like an unmodded, unboosted 800.
                            So you are saying you didn't like the 800 because it sounded too much like a real unmolested 800? I think that's the idea. Come to think of it, it works good if I hit it with a Tube Screamer or a Wah pedal, kust like a real 800 would.

When did you give up on the POD 2.0? I think the new Line 6 Edit software works on the POD 2.0 and it doesn't look like a DOS game, but I don't know first hand.

To me, the PODxt sounds more "airy" and maybe more realistic, but I just like the sounds that come out of the POD 2.0 better.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                              So you are saying you didn't like the 800 because it sounded too much like a real unmolested 800?

When did you give up on the POD 2.0? I
                              Yes and 2004.
                              -------------------------
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X