Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best eq pedal for boosting midrange?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the best eq pedal for boosting midrange?

my engl head doesnt have as much mids as i would like; my solos get lost in the mix. what would be the best pedal to boost my midrange?
    jackson pc-1 chameleon
    charvel model 4
    prs ce-24 emerald green
    ltd gl 600ss skulls and sword
    jackson rr ps 3t
    ibanez rg 770 lazer red
    engl thunder 50
    ibanez rg 565
    mesa boogie dc-5 head

I've been happy with the MXR M-108 10 band EQ. I thought it was better than the Boss when I A-B'ed them side by side.

Comment

Originally posted by vondran View Post
      I've been happy with the MXR M-108 10 band EQ. I thought it was better than the Boss when I A-B'ed them side by side.
      +1 - I love my MXR EQ. It is the pedal you will have to pry from my cold dead hands.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

+2

Comment

i use a vintage ibanez PQ-9. it's this little baby-blue parameteric EQ pedal. it has 3 sliders for bass, mid, treble and then a sweep knob for the mids. it is amazing!!! it's from the period of the original TS-9. it will take a stock strat and fatten the sound to near les paul thickness....it is amazing!!!
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

thanks, i was pretty much decided on the mxr 108, i just wanted someone to verify
            jackson pc-1 chameleon
            charvel model 4
            prs ce-24 emerald green
            ltd gl 600ss skulls and sword
            jackson rr ps 3t
            ibanez rg 770 lazer red
            engl thunder 50
            ibanez rg 565
            mesa boogie dc-5 head

Comment

The MXR M-108 is hard to beat. Love mine, now if I could just quit touching it. LOL
              I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

One of my favorite settings is with the sliders flat at 0 (across the center), and the 500Hz up. This hits that sweet spot wah frequency, ala Michael Schanker and Brian May sound. I use mine in front of the amp as a clean boost.

Comment

another fan of the MXR EQ, boost my mid signal pretty well on all of my amps

Comment

Electro-Harmonix Tube EQ. I use it to fatten up my mids.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                      i use a vintage ibanez PQ-9. it's this little baby-blue parameteric EQ pedal. it has 3 sliders for bass, mid, treble and then a sweep knob for the mids. it is amazing!!! it's from the period of the original TS-9. it will take a stock strat and fatten the sound to near les paul thickness....it is amazing!!!
                      I too would recommend a parametric EQ pedal. They are far more flexible than most people realize and if you take a little time to understand how to use one, you would be amazed at what they can do.

I use a quasi-parametric EQ(fixed bass and treble frequencies, adjustable mid frequency with a fixed Q) in pretty much all my distortion sounds. It lets me get a nice thick rock tone out of Fender SCN or Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs.

For Strats I like to add a 3 dB boost at 711 Hz and for my LPs I add the same boost but at 638 Hz. It's subtle but it makes a world of difference.

Comment

EMG has a presence control that you put in your guitar that will give you a 6DB boost in the midrange.

Comment

ok, everyone seems to vote for the MXR. I have both the MXR 10 band KFK and the Boss GE-7. If you think in future you might wanna boost the front end of the amp with an eq pedal, then go for the MXR. Its the quietest EQ pedal out there. But it also needs 18 V. Keep that in mind.

If you want something just for the loop, the Boss GE-7 does a fabulous job! In fact, I like it in the loop better than the MXR. In front of the amp, the Boss just adds noise and messes everything up.

In the loop of a cheap tube amp or a solid state amp, the Boss does add noise as well. but in the mark iv, I find there is absolutely no noise. So, you should be fine too.
                          Sam

Comment

Not all MXR EQs are 18 volt, this is the one I use and it's a standard 9 and boosts my signal plenty.

Comment

Just a thought...if you don't need a volume boost, you should lower the other frequencies rather than boosting the ones you want to boost. This should end up giving you the sound you want without all the noise of a cheap pedal.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X