Brightening the clean channel..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brightening the clean channel..

I have my Crate BV120H and 2 4x12's (one at a time, not running both). Both Carvins but not stock speakers. One is straight with 4 Celestion GT12-100's (Dark, Very Metal-ish), one is slanted with older Eminence legends (more rock, vintag-ish sounding). I'm ok in the overdrive/distortion area but I'm looking to brighten up the cleans some. A nice glassy fender-ish would be nice. Literally with the treble on 10, still sound kinda muffled. What do you think I could use to lighten up the tone some? Maybe something like an acoustic simulator? Just an EQ pedal? I don't have anything in front now. I just crank the hell out of it till my head hurts and I can't hera anyway. So...

Also, because you are all such a bunch of funny fuckers.... "sell the Crate" is not happening so stop before you start!!
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

"There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I think the Blue doo-doo hurts most of our heads

So we can't tell you sell it.

You already mentioned EQ and change speakers, so why not try those?

Short of that, break open the amp and warm up the soldering iron...

Comment

I may try out that FDR. The reverb leaves a bit to be desired as well. Maybe it'll help with that too. Add a GE-7 or MXR EQ and maybe even DonP would stay in the room if I hit power button!! lol

Comment

where are your mids set at?

Comment

Bass at 7, Mids at 6-7, high max'd. That's about the happy medium I've found. Lowering the mids was pretty sterile sounding. Maybe I'll run the pod through it but i don't want to keep swapping it back and forth. Most of what I do now is through the POD/PC/Monitors. Replacing the Crate isn't in the cards right now. Gonna pick up a EQ and chorus and see where it goes. Maybe the FDR. Gotta stop spending money!!

DonP - I switch back and forth between those 2 cabs, not changing any speakers.

Comment

You only want to change the cleans, so yea, you don't want to change speakers if that messes up the distortion. Your choice is an EQ you can turn on or off, and mods,

I don't know the layout of that amp. Is it multi channel? If so, either you or a tech could modify the clean channel to brighten it up the way you like.

This would be done mostly with capacitors. Lower the coupling cap values so that they pass less bass. Add bypass caps around the volumes so that the amp stays bright with the volume turned down. Lower or get rid of cathode caps to reduce the bass.

Comment

You could try using a BBE with the Process control cranked. On a neutral amp that will often make the high end over-pronounced.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

cut your bass a lil bit. from what i remember my old bv120 had a bassy clean channel. too much bass will keep you from sounding bright.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                    cut your bass a lil bit. from what i remember my old bv120 had a bassy clean channel. too much bass will keep you from sounding bright.
                    But if it's a shared EQ, that might mess up the distortion channel.

I'm beginning to see a pattern of clean channels being too bassy on amps. You really do need two separate EQ's.

Comment

oh yeah, youre right then an additional eq would probably be the only way or some kind of bright switch added to your guitar.

Comment

try 25w Greenbacks.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

wait, the bv doesnt share an eq does it? i thought it had separate eq for each channel

you probably already figured somethin out, but maybe instead of switching to neck pickup(if you do) just roll ur tone knob to 0. that should give you the brightness of the bridge pickup w a sliver off the top end.
                          Last edited by jdr94; 12-19-2009, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X