Amp Wattage Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Wattage Question?

I have a high-end speaker cab rated at 120 watts max. If I played a 300 watt head through this cab at a low volume, would the cab and the speakers (Celestion Vintage 30 speakers) be okay? I will only use this cab for home playing and recording. It would never be cranked. I assume that as long as I play at a low to moderate level, the speakers will not get fried.

Thanks

as long as you don't crank it you will be fine.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Yeah, nothing to worry about if you don't play at stadium levels. At home I run my 180 watt Boogie into homemade cabinet which has one Celestion V'30 speaker.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

...Until some doorknob wheels it up to "8" when you're not watching.
        And watch the dynamics-those spikes can put out a lot more than you might think.
        But it should be fine as mentioned.

Comment

Yeah, at lower volumes, I would not worry about it too much.

Comment

Bedroom volumes should be fine, but like Cyg said, watch the peaks. If this is your permanent setup, I'd say it's time to upgrade the speakers or get a new cab.
            Scott

Comment

What is the Ohm rating for the 300 watts and what are the speakers rated and are they series or parallel. If the speakers are 16 ohm and in parallel they would be 8 ohms. If the 300 watts is at a 4 ohm load and if it is solid state it should be giving you 150 watts at an 8 ohm load.

Comment

i'd worry more about underpowering your cab than overpowering it. it should be just fine.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                  i'd worry more about underpowering your cab than overpowering it. it should be just fine.
                  Whut?

I drive a 300 Watt cab with a 7 watt amp...constantly.
                  I like the tight sound of the 4x12 on my little high gain
                  monsters.

Same with the old Deluxe Reverb.
                  Into a 60 watt cab, it pushes 22 watts wide open.
                  No harm there.

It does not hurt the amp at all.
                  On the other post, absolutely-watch out for impedance mismatches more than anything.
                  The speaker wattages are only potentials...not lively bloodsuckers that will put a vampire treatment on the amp.

Comment

Working...
                  X