Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey VT Classic question (high pitched noise)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey VT Classic question (high pitched noise)

Hey guys, my friends son has a Peavey VT Classic. He asked me for some help with it, and I know NOTHING about amps, so I came here.

When he uses the phasing (built in effect I guess), he gets a high pitched noise. He told me its a tube amp, so I thought it might be a tube going out. It only does it then. If he turns the phasing off, the noise quits. He lives pretty far from here, so I can't just go look at it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by guitarsjb View Post
    Hey guys, my friends son has a Peavey VT Classic. He asked me for some help with it, and I know NOTHING about amps, so I came here.

When he uses the phasing (built in effect I guess), he gets a high pitched noise. He told me its a tube amp, so I thought it might be a tube going out. It only does it then. If he turns the phasing off, the noise quits. He lives pretty far from here, so I can't just go look at it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    I had a Classic VTX as my first "tube" amp. If it is like mine (sounds very similar), it's not really a tube amp. It's a SS front end with a tube power amp (either a pair or quad of 6L6's depending on the model).

If the problem is with the phaser, that's a SS effect that's gone loco. If he is careful of high voltage, he can open up and prod around in the amp looking for a loose connection, a resistor that got fried, a cap that's bad, wiring that's in the wrong place, etc.

Not going to be an easy fix, most likely a tech will need to see it. These amps go for around $200 currently, so he'll need to decide if it's worth fixing. I liked using the phaser as a comb filter (like a fancy EQ) to get some good metal tones.

I sort of miss the old Peavey (always watching Craigslist for a good deal), but I really don't need one at all.

Comment

Thanks Don, yeah he told me it had 2 tubes..I had him check while we were on the phone. I'll pass on the info. I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
      X