VHT or Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHT or Marshall

I'm thinking of trading my JVM410H for a Pittbull 100CL. I've played an Ultra Lead as well as a CLX and was wondering if the 2 channels on the CL is as versatile as the JVM. I can get by w/clean, crunch and lead, but will the VHT's green channel clean up to a usable clean? I like humbuckers over singles.

This is a done deal if I want as the trader really wants the JVM. I figure I could always pickup another JVM as they're more common.

I have the 50 CL and love it. It really doesnt have a true clean ch imho, one is usable but not a real clean channel. I dont know if the 100Cl is the same or not.

Have you ever played a VHT? Some folks dont like the clarity of them but thats one of the attributes that I really like about it.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

I've played and Ultra Lead and a CLX. They were both great. Is the boost function a solo volume boost or is it a gain boost? Seems like a good amp for the price.

Comment

i would stick with the JVM if you are looking for versatile... Probably get flamed here for saying that but I do think the Pitbull is great... but for cleans it isn't really all that stellar. If you are looking for cleans than I would be looking for something entirely different. Now if you are looking to own a Pitbull and want it for the lead channel than I would say go check it out and let your ears decide. I love the Pitbull gain/tone.

Comment

The green channel can and will clean up entirely if you get the gain set just right and roll the volume off just a tad on the guitar.

As far as clean, crunch, and lead, obviously you know the 50 &100CL's are 2 channel amps? But.... you can do a couple of things.

1. You could set your gain for a "crunch" and then use the boost function to add more gain for lead (yes, the boost function is a gain upper, not volume)

2. With the effects loop set right, you can use the effects switch as a volume boost for lead

3. If you boost the mids on the 6 band EQ, the amp will get a lot louder for leads.

Although I have never played a JVM, I would still trade it for a 100CL anyday. It's worth more money for one....

THe Classic Leads are cool amps.
          Jackson USA guitars
          BC Rich guitars

Diezel Herbert
          Diezel VH4
          Framus Cobra
          VHT UL
          Mesa Rectifiers rev C, F, triple F
          Mesa MK3
          Bogner rev 2 Uber

Comment

What is the street price of a new CL100?

Comment

keep the Marshall.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                keep the Marshall.
                +1

Comment

I can't even begin to tell you how much I LOVE my JVM. It's the amp I was always looking for! I have the 210 head. Tried it against the 410, and glad I went 210, since the second voicing didn't make enough difference to warrant the cost - at least for me. I add a Boss Super OD in front for different voicings. It's everything I need. It has replaced my Randall RM100 - the Randall will be moving to Canada in about a month.

Comment

While I know nothing of the VHT, I do know the Marshall.

I'm a Marshall person all the way, so you'd know my decision.

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
                      What is the street price of a new CL100?
                      $2100-2200 IIRC.

Do it..... marshalls are sub par pieces of doo.....doo.....

Jump up to a quality amp like VHT, boutique amps are expensive, so if you've got some dummy willing to trade a 100CL for a run of the mill Marshall, you'd be the dummy not jumping on that.
                      Jackson USA guitars
                      BC Rich guitars

Diezel Herbert
                      Diezel VH4
                      Framus Cobra
                      VHT UL
                      Mesa Rectifiers rev C, F, triple F
                      Mesa MK3
                      Bogner rev 2 Uber

Comment

I would do it Pete. The Pitbull is a great amp.

Comment

Originally posted by RJF View Post
                          $2100-2200 IIRC.

Do it..... marshalls are sub par pieces of doo.....doo.....

Jump up to a quality amp like VHT, boutique amps are expensive, so if you've got some dummy willing to trade a 100CL for a run of the mill Marshall, you'd be the dummy not jumping on that.

Brilliant. I have a cork for you...sniff, sniff...

Comment

I think I'll hold onto the Marshall for now. I got a chance to crank today, and it cranks like no other Marshall. I'll wait for an Ultra Lead...

Comment

I'd keep both. Well, hold on - I do keep both Don't think one replaces the other.

Comment

Working...
                              X