VHT or Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
    Brilliant. I have a cork for you...sniff, sniff...

Oh..... I get it now..............

You've obviously never had any serious time on a VHT, let alone owned one.
    Jackson USA guitars
    BC Rich guitars

Diezel Herbert
    Diezel VH4
    Framus Cobra
    VHT UL
    Mesa Rectifiers rev C, F, triple F
    Mesa MK3
    Bogner rev 2 Uber

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
      I think I'll hold onto the Marshall for now. I got a chance to crank today, and it cranks like no other Marshall. I'll wait for an Ultra Lead...
      I hope you aren't kicking yourself a few months from now letting this deal go by.

THe ultra lead is supposed to be pretty bad, but I've never played through one, just the classic lead. Far as I know the preamp voicing is nearly identical, but it's the KT88 power section in the UL that produces a slightly even tighter and clearer distortion than the EL34 power section in the CL. But, I've also heard that if you like to boost your mids a lot, the CL's are the better choice, again due to the power section.
      Jackson USA guitars
      BC Rich guitars

Diezel Herbert
      Diezel VH4
      Framus Cobra
      VHT UL
      Mesa MK3
      Bogner rev 2 Uber

Comment

Originally posted by RJF View Post
        Oh..... I get it now..............

You've obviously never had any serious time on a VHT, let alone owned one.

Or...

...I don't really want one. Sorry mang...they've never perked my interest, and trust me -- I've had ample opportunity to play them. A friend of mine owned the #10 Pitbull, and was an endorser. The artists that I know that do use them don't really play stuff I'm into. Marshall, on the other hand... It's all good though. Everyone has their thing. Just kinda short-sighted to say that one amp sounds like "doo-doo", when it's your subjective opinion, and then to say it of all Marshalls...come on. VHT and Marshall are not really targeted at the same thing, and just cuz it's "boutique" doesn't mean it's better.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
          Or...

...I don't really want one. Sorry mang...they've never perked my interest, and trust me -- I've had ample opportunity to play them. A friend of mine owned the #10 Pitbull, and was an endorser. The artists that I know that do use them don't really play stuff I'm into. Marshall, on the other hand... It's all good though. Everyone has their thing. Just kinda short-sighted to say that one amp sounds like "doo-doo", when it's your subjective opinion, and then to say it of all Marshalls...come on. VHT and Marshall are not really targeted at the same thing, and just cuz it's "boutique" doesn't mean it's better.
          I've owned a JCM900 and a JCM TSL. Neither were all that great, the TSL was noisy and they had a bunch of issues with the footswitch. My 900 was just an all around bland amp IMHO. There are a ton of amps that can mimic the marshall sound, many of which do it better than a Marshall itself, IMHO. The Classic Lead being one of them.

VHT is a very unique sound, and you either like it or you don't. It's too dry and not saturated enough for some, and some think that is what makes them better than the rest. Obviously, we know what the original poster thinks, as he said he really liked the UL and CLX.

When it comes to the JCM900 series and up, they are pretty much run of the mill amps that can be had everywhere. An used VHT is not exactly something that turns up all that often. As the owner of three true boutique heads, I do believe there is a quality and feature difference. I can't speak the same for the cabinets though, (ever seen the material and build quality of a Framus cab?:think.

Doesn't really matter anyway, he decided he isn't going to do the trade.
          Last edited by RJF; 12-12-2009, 10:39 PM.
          Jackson USA guitars
          BC Rich guitars

Diezel Herbert
          Diezel VH4
          Framus Cobra
          VHT UL
          Mesa MK3
          Bogner rev 2 Uber

Comment

My JCM900 I bought in 1997 was the epitome of boring. I had a DSL50 for a bit @ 1999 I think, but it didn't cut it either. The JVM210 is a pretty cool amp though.

Comment

Working...
            X