Behringer V amp pro....again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behringer V amp pro....again

I had posted this thread in the completely WRONG forum (Artists and their gear), so I'm reposting it here. ..So admins, can you please delete it from the other forum? Thank you in advance.

I pretty much know what's coming for me on Xmas and this is one of the things. Now I know that a lot of folks do not like the Behringer products and I get that, but I've had my fair share of their stuff and have not had any problems with any of it. This however is my 1st foray into the modeling world besides my Digitech RP50. Anyone have one of these units? I will be using it only with a KRK Rokit 5 active studio monitor, so no guitar amp involved. I will also record with it as soon as I figure out how to that. Hopefully the netbook I got (and love) is powerful enough to hold a recording program of some type. I've also heard that if you get this Behringer V amp pro, you should also get the FCB101 foot board midi controller. Now know absolutely ZILCH about midi I do not know if this is true or not other than to access the wah. I have a feeling that I will be doing a LOT of research on this thing before I ever really get to play with it.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

I haven't heard one myself, but I read great things about the V Amp Pro.

Your netbook is most likely not powerful enough to do any recording unless you're just doing a couple of tracks. Remember that the CPU in those is essentially a Pentium III.

You'll need a MIDI foot controller if you want to do any switching with your feet. MIDI is MIDI, so you're not locked into the Behringer controller.
    Scott

Comment

I still have mine.. great stuff for the price.

I also have the MIDI footcontroller, but I don't see much use of it playing at home.

It's better to get a MIDI device connected between your PC and VAMP for that kind of setup. The Behringer SW you can download for free is your switchboard then.

Comment

Originally posted by pebber View Post
        I still have mine.. great stuff for the price.

I also have the MIDI footcontroller, but I don't see much use of it playing at home.

It's better to get a MIDI device connected between your PC and VAMP for that kind of setup. The Behringer SW you can download for free is your switchboard then.
        What exactly is the Behringer SW?
        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

I have a V-Amp PRO and it does a decent job.
          I use it for headphonesessions and recording once in a while only, and it's fairly easy to use.
          it has lots of functions that I don't use, so I can't really judge ALL its abilities, but if you're after dialing in a sound with effects and whatnut fast and jam around with it, this might be a good choice for you.

I also have the FCB1010, even though I use it with my tubeamp in rehearsal room and never tried it with the VAmp.
          if you're not in a hurry with switching sounds, I don't see a reason for a midi controller unless you really want to use a wah or volume pedal.
          you have a couple of banks in the VAmp and each bank stores 5 sounds which can be recalled with just one button... that's enough for me.

but I can say it looks and feels really solid.
          my band buddy controls his boss GT-whatever with an FCB as well and is pretty satisfied with it as a volume pedal.
          I don't use the expression pedals at all in my setup.
          but the price really sets it apart.

(if you're still looking for recording software that doesn't eat hardware for breakfast, I can recommend cool edit pro. as a pure recording software it does all the jobs you need IMO. and it's 50MB installed on the harddrive. I run it on an athlon XP1800/512MB and on a P4 2,2Ghz/1Gb and both are not really impressed too much.)
          tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
            I had posted this thread in the completely WRONG forum (Artists and their gear), so I'm reposting it here. ..So admins, can you please delete it from the other forum? Thank you in advance.

I pretty much know what's coming for me on Xmas and this is one of the things. Now I know that a lot of folks do not like the Behringer products and I get that, but I've had my fair share of their stuff and have not had any problems with any of it. This however is my 1st foray into the modeling world besides my Digitech RP50. Anyone have one of these units? I will be using it only with a KRK Rokit 5 active studio monitor, so no guitar amp involved. I will also record with it as soon as I figure out how to that. Hopefully the netbook I got (and love) is powerful enough to hold a recording program of some type. I've also heard that if you get this Behringer V amp pro, you should also get the FCB101 foot board midi controller. Now know absolutely ZILCH about midi I do not know if this is true or not other than to access the wah. I have a feeling that I will be doing a LOT of research on this thing before I ever really get to play with it.
            Once you get the FB controller it will pretty much recognize it and off you go.
            There are tons of good patches available for the V-amp and the pro. Both are interchangeable. Get the MIDI to USB so you can do your editing with a pc and back up all your edits as well.
            There is also a pod to vamp converter that works great for changing line6 patches to V-amp.
            As far as your netbook for recording I think its gonna fail.

Comment

excellent unit. Lots of features and excellent factory patches. You will like it.

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
                What exactly is the Behringer SW?
                My guess would be software. Like stated above they have a software editor which makes it easy to change patches or edit them. Well worth the hasle of hooking it up to a pc. I just got a Pod Pro on the cheap and I have had a Vamp Pro for years.. Hey they have been cheap for a long time. I think I paid something like $180 new for it about 5 years ago. In my opinoin it is better than the Pod Pro. Of course I have more experiance with it but hey it sounds great and I dont think you can beat it for the price if you are buying new. I may be selling the pod pro soon if I dont find something in it I cant live without.

Comment

I've had one for along ass time, it needs the input jack sorted as it's either bent slightly or needs replacing.

Apparently the FCB1010 works straight away so you dont need to program it...

I was using mine with a solid state poweramp and a cab without the cab sims and it sounded really decent, unlike most modelers you cna spend a few minutes getting a really nice sound out of it, oh and high gain models like the Savage model and SLO dont need that much gain around half if that, the recto models need even less..

I for some strange reason prefer the pro over the mkII aswell used them both for direct recording and the pro is better..

The only downside are the effects arent as good as they could be but for the price it's better than good, you can always get external effects anyways...

I find that unlike most other mdoelers the presence and treble have a more usable range before they start giving you fizz...

Comment

The V-Amp 2 / Pro do sound decent. Just keep in mind that the construction is terrible.
                    Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

I got one on ebay a few years ago with a rack box and the FCB1010 board. It has a bajillion different sounds, which would pbly be great for a cover/bar band. I really haven't found that many that are terribly useful to me. The floorboard seems decently constructed, but not super-intuitive. I skimmed the manual and couldn't make much sense out of it. Maybe I should give it another read some time.

How are you guys hooking it up to your PC? One of those MIDI-to-USB boxes? I've heard that built-in or soundcard MIDI/joystick ports aren't useful for these kind of things.
                      |My CSG gallery|
                      (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

I picked one up from another JCF bro.

They are pretty cool, you have to edit the presets tho, to match up with your power amp and cabinet to get best results. There are quite a few settings but the software is pretty easy to use. It has a good JCM 800 model called Hi Gain British, and some others that are cool to play with, but you have to spend time with it. I use a USB-Midi- box to program, they are cheap and easy to use. Also turn the gain down and the models sound better.

There are quite a few effects but my one issue with them is you can't seem to get them turned down enough. Phaser for example, even on the lowest setting seems too much for me, when you just want a nice light effect sometimes. But they are usable.

The knobs are plastic so I sheared one off when the rack cover slid off when I was buttoning it up. Fixable but a annoying weak spot.

Using it with a Mosvalve 962, thru 2 x 12 Peavy speakers sounds pretty good for jam night. For the price pick one up.
                        Last edited by FlyingSkull; 12-17-2009, 02:19 PM.
                        "We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer. "
                        Zakk Wylde

Comment

Originally posted by m2pmd70 View Post
                          I got one on ebay a few years ago with a rack box and the FCB1010 board. It has a bajillion different sounds, which would pbly be great for a cover/bar band. I really haven't found that many that are terribly useful to me. The floorboard seems decently constructed, but not super-intuitive. I skimmed the manual and couldn't make much sense out of it. Maybe I should give it another read some time.

How are you guys hooking it up to your PC? One of those MIDI-to-USB boxes? I've heard that built-in or soundcard MIDI/joystick ports aren't useful for these kind of things.
                          I have an Audigy 2 zs so it has all the conectivity for it including spdif and midi.

Comment

Used one for fucking years, sounded great! Especially for the money it can't be beat imo. Unless you go axefx all modellers sound similar enough to me.

Comment

How do these compare to the POD?

Comment

Working...
                              X