Best Overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Overdrive

I'm looking for opinions on an overdrive to add to a JCM2000. Doesn't matter if it's a pedal or effects processor. Are pedals with a 12ax7 still popular?

TIA

I love the Plexitube - but its not really an Overdrive. Tubescreamer, Distortion + both work for screaming up your preamp.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

http://protonepedals.com/?p=83

Ive been using this for a few years with my Marshall. My Fave...
      "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Thanks guys. I want to generate feedback swells with it and not add to the distortion which is already pretty extreme.

Comment

Tusescreamers and bad monkey? pedals seem popular.

I go straight into my DSL100 without pedals and love it.

Maybe explain in more detail what's not working?

Comment

Tubescreamer and Boss SD-1 (the yellow one) for me. Both rock! But favorite is my Tubescreamer.
            JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
            Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              Maybe explain in more detail what's not working?

I like the distortion I get from my amp but I don't get any feedback--even if I stand next to the speakers and aim the strings parallel to the sound output. Refer to Satriani’s Flying in a Blue Dream as an example. I was thinking a nice tube overdrive would give me the ability to generate feedback on demand and that I could turn the pedal off when I didn't want feedback swells. My tone is really heavy (like Pantera) and is almost clipping so I wouldn't want to add more distortion if that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                Tusescreamers and bad monkey? pedals seem popular.
                I've never tried the Digitech Bad Monkey, but I had two (still have one) of the old DOD Juice Box pedals, which eventually turned into the Bad Monkey, and it's a great pedal. Now I mostly use a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive (Robert Keeley modded) and really love it.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Maybe it's distance that's a problem? You can be too close as well as too far away, believe it or don't.

PLus if your'e running a noise gate....

On a related note, I've had a Line6 AM-4 amp modeler pedal for a coupla years now and just hooked it to my amp last night. I'm truly amazed at how good it sounds running into the preamp (even though it's an SS preamp).

Of course it's Preamp-Only - no Chorus or anything. But still, I thought it sounded good enough just going into the mixer>PC, but I'm thinking about miking this thing
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Just picked up a MXR Fullbore Metal - havent tried it with my rig. Had to give it to Mrs. Nor to wrap for x-mas. Checked it out online and in-store, kickazz tones.
                    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

I have the Bad Monkey and Like it for boosting the preamp...

The xotic BB preamp is supposed to be baddassed Andy Timmons uses one and it sounds fantastic...

Comment

for doing what you are talking about, i use a boss hyper-fuzz set to the "clean boost" mode. it just ups the gain enough to split my notes into feedback when needed.
                        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I get all my tones from my Boss GT-6. I also run 4 cable medhod because if I run it directly into the amp, it sounds thin IMO.
                          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

I'm in the process of trying out a bunch of different overdrive/distortion pedals with my Marshall Rhoads amp. If you go for a Tubesreamer type pedal I would recommend the Retro-Sonic 808. Its a high quality Tubescreamer with true bypass. For something with more distortion yet still high quality and true bypass, try the Fulltone OCD or MI Audio Crunch Box. All are great pedals!
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post

I like the distortion I get from my amp but I don't get any feedback--even if I stand next to the speakers and aim the strings parallel to the sound output. Refer to Satriani’s Flying in a Blue Dream as an example. I was thinking a nice tube overdrive would give me the ability to generate feedback on demand and that I could turn the pedal off when I didn't want feedback swells. My tone is really heavy (like Pantera) and is almost clipping so I wouldn't want to add more distortion if that makes sense.

Certain pickups I have are more prone to feedback than others (1977 T-Tops for example). Probably not what you want to hear.

Maybe have a custom winder spin some pickups you like and not wax pot them. For eample, Highorder pickups are around $70 and you tell him how you want them.

Comment

Working...
                              X