Good older Solid State amp for metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good older Solid State amp for metal

Hello! I'm looking for opinions on older solid state amps such as Crate G1600XL, Peavey Transtube Supreme, amps like that. I ALREADY HAVE a tube amp so S.S. OPINIONS ONLY PLEASE. In case your wondering, I like the TIGHTER GAIN and slight OVERCOMPRESSION for METAL. I'm NOT looking for versatility just a good solid UBER METAL tone. Please reply in good faith, the nearest music store to me is 60 miles away (I'm a "boondocker"), so trying amps in person is a rare event so I need HONEST advice for online ordering. I like the Ampeg 140 and Crate Shockwave in clips but they are kinda hard to find and out of my budget which is $200 for a head. I don't play live so ability to handle loud volume is not an issue. I also want a head, everything sounds better through 4X12's to ME (even at low volume) so no combo's. Thanks guy's!!

Randall RG100 (head that Dime used)

Fender M80

Ampeg SS 150

Comment

Ampeg SS140C is a good one. Any SS Randall will do you solid. The older and newer Marshall Valvestates sound really good and you can't go wrong with the Crate SS distortion. i think they call it Flexwave.

Comment

Tech 21. TM10 or 30 or GT2 or PSA-1 through a power amp, or TM300 by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
          Tech 21. TM10 or 30 or GT2 or PSA-1 through a power amp, or TM300 by itself.
          The TM300 head sounds great, but he'll need an overdrive pedal to push it into heavier stuff. I also like the Fender RocPro 1000, but that'll also need a pedal in front.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

yeah the old valvestate marshalls have a great crunch. tj is right with the tm300. that will get you into 80's metal but you would need to hit it with a distortion pedal in front to get it to scream.

Lots of good solid state stuff from crate and marshall though... i like the fender m80 myself but i guess that is just a preference. the m80 has a reverb tank and you can find the heads with a chorus built in too. they have a contour knob that really scoops the mids or pushes them and it works well. there is one on ebay now with the chorus and reverb for $199 BIN...

Comment

Thanks guys, I may try to find a used Randall.

Comment

I have always heard good things about Randalls for solid state stuff. never tried any solid state amps, but I read good thigns about them.
                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

YOu mentioned a Peavey Transtube Supreme..... I thought that thing was a piece of crap when I owned one.
                  Jackson USA guitars
                  BC Rich guitars

Diezel Herbert
                  Diezel VH4
                  Framus Cobra
                  VHT UL
                  Mesa Rectifiers rev C, F, triple F
                  Mesa MK3
                  Bogner rev 2 Uber

Comment

No pre amp, but my Peavey stereo rack mount "200" has been bulletproof
                    for 20 years! 100 watts per side, single rack space. I think i paid $210
                    for it!

Comment

Flextone II HD's can be had on the cheap. There's a couple at a local used gear store for under $300.

Comment

what an interesting name... by any chance do you happen to have any fermented shark in your fridge?
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

LOL!! Nah, no fermented shark. I'm from the good ole USA, I got the name from a free Icelandic translator. Málmur (METAL) Höfuð (HEAD), I just thought it looked cool.

Comment

Working...
                          X