Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to "quiet down" an amp...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to "quiet down" an amp...?

I have a Marshall DLS100 nd it is noisy and always has been. It sounds like static every so often coming through the cabs. I dont know if it is some sort of radio interference or what not and the noise is not constant.. is this common and is there a way to take care of it?
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

sure it's not your guitar?
    \oo/. .\oo/ @ www.jacksonguitars.com

Comment

Could be a loose ground. Have you looked inside it yet?

Comment

Could be a bad tube. Or a capacitor startin to go. With all the other suggestions above ruled out. Its most likely a tube.
        Gil

Comment

I had the tubes replaced a while ago, but not for that reason. And it is like that with all my guitars. So there are two things ruled out I suppose...
          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

How good/old are your cables? Are you using the prober cable for the head to cab?

Comment

Originally posted by McD View Post
              sure it's not your guitar?
              Right. To re-address this question, does it make noise when nothing is plugged in - INCLUDING the effects loop.

If it's fine on it's own, YOU are adding the noise.

If not, could be anything. Do you have a crappy power supply in your house? Do you have the amp near a bunch of florescent lights?

My DSL100 is nice and quiet, with my guitars plugged in.

Comment

Ya it makes the sound when nothing is plugged into it as long as the standby is not being used. I have had it at several different houses over the years and it has always done that.... I guess now I am finally tired of it. It seems to do it less when it is warmed up. It is not terribly obnoxious; I was just hoping it was an easy cheap fix.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Assuming its not bad tubes, capacitor, guitar electronics, just a plain noisy amp in general. I would ditch the low end cables, head to cab speaker cable and even the patch cables for effects. Replace with high quality stuff and also use something like a Furman Power Factor to clean up the power. Last week I played a gig with a non-master volume Marshall Rhoads amp and used Zaolla cables, George L's patch cables, and Evidence Audio Siren speaker cable along with plugging in the head and pedalboard into a Furman Power Factor Pro. No noise whatsoever and I had no noise gate even connected. The other thing is if you are using pedals, one or a combination of them may cause noise. I run my pedals through loopers so they don't interfere with my tone or add noise when not in use. That way I have the cleanest path from guitar to amp. The cables mentioned above are expensive but to have a 100W non-master volume Marshall cranking with no noise live is worth it.
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                    Assuming its not bad tubes, capacitor, guitar electronics, just a plain noisy amp in general. I would ditch the low end cables, head to cab speaker cable and even the patch cables for effects. Replace with high quality stuff and also use something like a Furman Power Factor to clean up the power. Last week I played a gig with a non-master volume Marshall Rhoads amp and used Zaolla cables, George L's patch cables, and Evidence Audio Siren speaker cable along with plugging in the head and pedalboard into a Furman Power Factor Pro. No noise whatsoever and I had no noise gate even connected. The other thing is if you are using pedals, one or a combination of them may cause noise. I run my pedals through loopers so they don't interfere with my tone or add noise when not in use. That way I have the cleanest path from guitar to amp. The cables mentioned above are expensive but to have a 100W non-master volume Marshall cranking with no noise live is worth it.

I agree with everything said above.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      Right. To re-address this question, does it make noise when nothing is plugged in - INCLUDING the effects loop.

If it's fine on it's own, YOU are adding the noise.
                      I'm not sure I necessarily agree with this.

My Boogie has an intermittent noise only when a guitar (any guitar) is connected AND the volume is turned down all the way on the guitar. Turn the volume up even a tiny bit, and the noise goes away.

It's dead silent with nothing plugged into it.

It's not the cable (tried a bunch, and it's actually somewhat BETTER with a cheap-ass cable that came with a Squier Strat starter kit!) and it's not the guitar. I haven't gotten around to getting it looked at or anything, I have 4.5 years of warranty left. :dunno:

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                        I'm not sure I necessarily agree with this.

My Boogie has an intermittent noise only when a guitar (any guitar) is connected AND the volume is turned down all the way on the guitar. Turn the volume up even a tiny bit, and the noise goes away.

It's dead silent with nothing plugged into it.

It's not the cable (tried a bunch, and it's actually somewhat BETTER with a cheap-ass cable that came with a Squier Strat starter kit!) and it's not the guitar. I haven't gotten around to getting it looked at or anything, I have 4.5 years of warranty left. :dunno:
                        Well, everyone knows Boogies are always noisy

Seriously, the issue you are having is that the amp is either designed wrong or it was wired up wrong.

So yes, I guess I should change my statement to:

If it's fine on it's own, and it's a properly designed and assembled amp, YOU are adding the noise.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          Well, everyone knows Boogies are always noisy

Seriously, the issue you are having is that the amp is either designed wrong or it was wired up wrong.

So yes, I guess I should change my statement to:

If it's fine on it's own, and it's a properly designed and assembled amp, YOU are adding the noise.

Actually I think it's got a bad solder joint on a ground in the preamp somewhere. :dunno:

I am kind of hoping it actually just quits working so I can send it in and get it fixed, but holding off until the "field testing" yields some improvements to the amp (like, I dunno what, it sounds pretty kick ass, but, there's gotta be something.)

Comment

Working...
                          X