ISP Decimator. Anyone tried these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISP Decimator. Anyone tried these?

My main amp is an old 5150, and I have a pedal board with several noisy effects. I use a lot of gain since I primarily play industrial metal, and as one can imagine, my rig generates a lot of noise and is prone to feedback at anything over bedroom volumes.

That said, I like my rig and don't want to change it... Just tame it a little. I've also never found a traditional gate that I've liked, and am tired of using my guitars volume knob to constantly guard against feedback.

I've been reading reviews about the ISP Decimator line of noise reduction products, and am considering buying one. Ideally, I'd like to reduce both the hum and preamp "fizz" from my amp and effects, and kill unwanted feedback... With an emphasis on feedback reduction. The reviews I've read seem to indicate that the Decimators can do this.

Has anyone here actually used any of these? Do they live up to the hype? I'm also a bit confused as to which one to purchase, and since there are large price gaps between the regular Decimator pedal, the "G-String" pedal, and the "Pro-Rack", I'm curious as to which option would be best for me.

I'm generally adverse to using rack gear, and would have to buy a rack unit to house any rack gear I buy, but if the Pro-Rack Decimator is the best option, I'll get it. That said, I'd prefer the pedal options is they'll work. The product descriptions are a bit vague (To me at least)... Does anyone know what the differences between these products are? Especially the regular Decimator and the G-String?

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

I have the original Decimator, and I use it in the loop. It effectively kills any feedback, hum, or hiss, when I'm not playing. From what I remember from when I tried it in front of the input, it cut out the feedback (perhaps a little better), but not the hum and hiss. They have a new model with two sets of inputs and outputs so that you can use it in front of the amp, and in the loop simultaneously. I'm not sure what the benefit to this is, but I'm sure it serves a purpose.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Go for the Boss NS-2. That's all I have to say.
      Originally posted by Hellbat
      Hey this is METAL. You don't need to roll with your homies and G's in a fkn Bentley while sippin' Cristal. You want to eat food that makes you want to curb stomp people. McDonalds delivers that. At least they weren't throwing back flapjacks at the Denny's across the street.

Comment

Just did a google search - there's two - a pedal and a rackmount. Which one are you referring to?
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I use a ProrackG thru my Peavey Ultra 120 all i can say is it's better than a
          Boss or Hush imo.

Mainly because it allows you to retain your tone very very well, like it's not even there.

I'll tell you tho, an even better immediate improvement against feedback and hum would be to shield your guitar electronic cavities and pickups, a massive improvement for me, and it's much cheaper to do right off - tho with a 5150 if your using the loop noise reduction is still a must.

I use both channels of the Prorack channel 1 for guitar input, and channel 2 in the loop - after i shielded a guitar and tried it in my rig, i could bypass channel 1 and not have uncontrolable feedback if i brushed the strings while left the volume open or whatever and that was not the case before,
          also, the other guitar i use is not shielded and it's a noisy pig without full decimation.

Comment

Originally posted by skintaster View Post
            My main amp is an old 5150, and I have a pedal board with several noisy effects. I use a lot of gain since I primarily play industrial metal, and as one can imagine, my rig generates a lot of noise and is prone to feedback at anything over bedroom volumes.

That said, I like my rig and don't want to change it... Just tame it a little. I've also never found a traditional gate that I've liked, and am tired of using my guitars volume knob to constantly guard against feedback.

I've been reading reviews about the ISP Decimator line of noise reduction products, and am considering buying one. Ideally, I'd like to reduce both the hum and preamp "fizz" from my amp and effects, and kill unwanted feedback... With an emphasis on feedback reduction. The reviews I've read seem to indicate that the Decimators can do this.

Has anyone here actually used any of these? Do they live up to the hype? I'm also a bit confused as to which one to purchase, and since there are large price gaps between the regular Decimator pedal, the "G-String" pedal, and the "Pro-Rack", I'm curious as to which option would be best for me.

I'm generally adverse to using rack gear, and would have to buy a rack unit to house any rack gear I buy, but if the Pro-Rack Decimator is the best option, I'll get it. That said, I'd prefer the pedal options is they'll work. The product descriptions are a bit vague (To me at least)... Does anyone know what the differences between these products are? Especially the regular Decimator and the G-String?

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.
            I had a Decimator. It was good and did what I needed it too for the price...

Comment

I've got one on my pedalboard. It is simple to dial in and does the job.

Comment

I own the decimator. I use it in the loop on my Splawn quick rod. works great. I use a boss NS-2 up front, and a decimator in the loop. my rig is so damn quiet you think its OFF. I am not shittin ya. people come over and think its off, and I roll my volume on my guitar and hit a chord. surprizes the hell out of them. no hum, no hiss, no idle noise. nothing.
                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I also have an iroginal 5150 but its been modded a little. I've got a Decimator but I run it up front. I run a BBE in the loop. Anybody else use a Decimator in the loop with something else also in the loop?

Comment

Try the ProrackG! It will do everything you want and then some. It's dual channel, so you can use one channel to quiet guitar and effects in front of your amp, and the other channel in effects loop to quiet preamp noise, etc.. You wont be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by MNash87 View Post
                      I also have an iroginal 5150 but its been modded a little. I've got a Decimator but I run it up front. I run a BBE in the loop. Anybody else use a Decimator in the loop with something else also in the loop?

I run the Decimator and a Boss EQ in the loop together.
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by MNash87 View Post

I run a Boss delay in the loop with my Decimator. works like a charm.
                        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I don't have a 5150 but back when I used to use any noise reduction, I used to look on E-Bay for the older Hush The Pedal. This is not the same as the current production one, the older one is all metal and has two channels that are foot switchable with Threshold knobs for each. That way you could set it to two different levels and toggle between them depending on how much gain or what channel you were using on your amp. With channel switchers I would hate it when the noise gate would activate on a medium gain setting and kill the sustain along with the noise. With two different thresholds this doesn't happen. I haven't looked lately but you used to be able to pick them up used on E-Bay for about $75, they are no longer in production.
                          Currently I don't use any noise reduction units. Found them to not be necessary when using a good power conditioner, high end cables, and proper placement of pedals on the board so as to minimize proximity of things such as Wah pedals to power supplies. I get no noise even at live gigging volumes with a Marshall Rhoads amp or even my Bogner Uberschall
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                            Just did a google search - there's two - a pedal and a rackmount. Which one are you referring to?
                            There are two different pedals and a rack unit. I'm interested in the differences between them, particularly the two pedals.

Thanks for all the input guys, I think y'all have answered my questions.

It sounds like either pedal would probably help me a lot. The rack sounds cool, but it might be more than I need.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFriedmanIsMaster View Post
                              Go for the Boss NS-2. That's all I have to say.
                              I've got one of those and an MXR Smart Gate. The Smart Gate is way better. The only thing the Boss has going for it is it's got an effects loop.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X