Hey Amp Experts, I need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Amp Experts, I need help!

Okay so I've decided it's time to get a new amp and I've been looking for a low watt, all tube amp. I would rather have a combo for space reasons but if I can get a better sound from a ministack I can make space. My max budget is around $900 CAD. Here's what I've seen so far and how much they cost here:

Orange Tiny Terror (I would have to buy a cabinet with this.) $600 + Cabinet
    http://www.orangeamps.com/products.a...ion=View&ID=78

Peavey Valve King Royal 8 - $225 (Not sure about this one)
    http://www.peavey.com/products/brows...0Royal%208.cfm

Vox AC4TV (This one interests me a lot. It comes with an attenuator that can set it to 4 watts, one watt, or a quarter of a watt for practice, and it's cheap enough that I could buy an effects processor with it) -$300
    http://www.voxamps.com/us/modernclassic/ac4tv/

Dr.Z Mini-Z - $600+ Cabinet (I've heard some good things and the reviews are quite positive)
    http://www.drzamps.com/miniz_head.html

Marshall Class 5- $500 (Also interests me. I've always wanted a Marshall)
    http://www.marshallamps.com/product_...ductRangeId=29

Epiphone Valve Junior (Combo or amp and cab) $225 for combo, $400 for amp and cab
    http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?...ollectionID=13

Any opinions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

If you want hi gain you should check out the Krank Rev Jr. Great high gain sound in a little head and cab package. Certainly none of the ones you've mentioned are modern hi gain amps.

Also check out the jet city amps.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
      If you want hi gain you should check out the Krank Rev Jr. Great high gain sound in a little head and cab package. Certainly none of the ones you've mentioned are modern hi gain amps.

Also check out the jet city amps.
      I'm not looking for super high gain for the most part. Think Judas Priest type stuff and at the most a bit 80's shred at the heaviest. I normally play with a clean sound or mildly distorted. I have stuff to dirty the sound up a bit if I need to. I'll look into the Jet City amps. Thanks.
      Last edited by Ben...; 12-28-2009, 11:38 PM.
      "Dear Dr. Bill,
      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
        I'm not looking for super high gain for the most part. Think Judas Priest type stuff and at the most a bit 80's shred at the heaviest.
        That's what I call hi-gain - basically, modded Marshall tone. No, none of those amps will do that sound.
        Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
          That's what I call hi-gain - basically, modded Marshall tone. No, none of those amps will do that sound.
          Oh, I was more thinking Nevermore or bands like that in gaininess. Like crazy Engls and stuff. Keep in mind they will have an effects loop hooked up.
          Last edited by Ben...; 12-29-2009, 12:14 AM.
          "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

I have played an orange tiny terror through a mesa recto 2x12 sealed back and it sounds awesome. Lots of gain, but not "high gain". I have not tried it with an OD in front but I would bet something like a tubescreamer or SD-1 in front of it would take it into super high gain for you. If not you could always daisy chain a few metal zones in front of it.

Volume wise it can get loud enough to be miced in a playing out situation and enough to make your neighbors complain if you are in a suburban setting. It won't hit that wall of thunder volume though.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

get the Epi & a Crunch Box. Modded Marshall Madness!!
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                get the Epi & a Crunch Box. Modded Marshall Madness!!
                Yeah, I've heard that about the Valve Junior. What would be better? The combo or the head and cab?

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                I have played an orange tiny terror through a mesa recto 2x12 sealed back and it sounds awesome. Lots of gain, but not "high gain". I have not tried it with an OD in front but I would bet something like a tubescreamer or SD-1 in front of it would take it into super high gain for you. If not you could always daisy chain a few metal zones in front of it.

Volume wise it can get loud enough to be miced in a playing out situation and enough to make your neighbors complain if you are in a suburban setting. It won't hit that wall of thunder volume though.
                I was planning on buying a tubescreamer or something with whatever I got. I'm concerned the Orange will be too loud. I'm really just looking for a practice amp that doesn't sound like a cat being skinned alive (my current amp).

I'm still interested in the Vox the most because of the attenuator that is built in with it and the price. The Mini Z also has an attenuator but the only issue with that is that I won't have much room left in my budget for a cabinet. Around 250 bucks unless I wait a while but I really want to get this done before my break's over because I'm going to be quite busy for the next month or so with school and I won't have any time to look at gear.

Tomorrow I'm going to look at the other two shops and see what they have. One of the places sells Laneys and I want to see if they have any of those Cub 10 or 8 amps. I'm also going to go try out the Vox and the Marshall, and maybe if I'm in the area of the other shop, the Dr. Z and the Epi.
                "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                  Yeah, I've heard that about the Valve Junior. What would be better? The combo or the head and cab?
                  I have next to no experience with the Valve Jr, but I have heard they are a solid & simple tube amp.

I do know the MI Audio Crunch Box sounds awesome through a clean tube amp though.

But since they're relatively cheap and none of the amps on your list will give you the tone you're after by themselves, I figured pairing the Epi with a Crunch Box would get you in the ball park for way within your budget.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                    I have next to no experience with the Valve Jr, but I have heard they are a solid & simple tube amp.

I do know the MI Audio Crunch Box sounds awesome through a clean tube amp though.

But since they're relatively cheap and none of the amps on your list will give you the tone you're after by themselves, I figured pairing the Epi with a Crunch Box would get you in the ball park for way within your budget.
                    Yes, I'll have to investigate the Crunch Box. I'll see if I can find one tomorrow to try out. Thanks G.

Any other recommendations for pedals? How are Boss Super Overdrives or their various distortions pedals? I used to have a DS-1 but I didn't like it so I sold it. Or how about the Fulltone OCD? If you haven't noticed by now I know jack about any of this rig related stuff. How about those multi-effect things? A place has a Boss ME-20 on sale right now for Boxing Week sales that I was studying today.
                    Last edited by Ben...; 12-29-2009, 02:33 AM.
                    "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

I don't think the multi effects boxes have as nice a tone as pedals like the OCD or Crunch Box. I have both of those. There were 4 versions of the OCD made, current production is V4. The Crunch Box is reasonably priced and sounds great. Used you can get the CB between $80-105. Both of these pedals are on my pedalboard
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                        I don't think the multi effects boxes have as nice a tone as pedals like the OCD or Crunch Box. I have both of those. There were 4 versions of the OCD made, current production is V4. The Crunch Box is reasonably priced and sounds great. Used you can get the CB between $80-105. Both of these pedals are on my pedalboard
                        Okay, thanks. I know one place has the OCD but I'll have to look for the Crunch Box.
                        "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

The orange does have a half power switch to drop the output to 7 watts but it is definitely one of the more expensive of the ones on your list. It does have killer sound (in my opinion) though.

The Boss SD-1 (Super Overdrive) is a good cheap boost pedal. It's essentially a tubescreamer design with some changes. It is not a distortion/fuzz box though so some people go in expecting that from it and are disappointed. Apparently the Keeley mods for it are quite good too.
                          Last edited by Hellbat; 12-29-2009, 01:43 PM.
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Have you considered the blackstar ht5? Its a very nice fit for what you want.
                            "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
                            Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

I've just been jamming my Class 5 with a Plexitube out front. Great sound at low volume - lots of hi-gain Marshall goodness.

OK - I was going to do a full video review for you on the Class 5 with a bunch of pedals to give you an idea - but the batteries in my camera died - so, sorry. And rather than buy new ones, I ended up jamming for three hours.

So -

Plexitube W/ Class 5 - vol 3-5 at most; classic high gain Marshall sounds - Guns, Ride the Lightning, Maiden, Priest, etc. Can do really modern stuff with EQ tweaking.

Dist + - Vol 3-5, gets shrill and flubby fully wicked up - classic 70's distortion, lots of sproing. It actually sounds the most like the amp itself - i.e. will give you the sound of the Class 5 on 10, when run on 3... get it?

Tubescreamer TS-9 - Mid Volume - level up all the way, no distortion - punchy, sharp solo boost; High Volume - same TS settings - really liquid lead sounds (can do 80's leads, but no grunt for rhythm), lots of treble and cut. Sounded surprisingly good; Mid Volume, distortion from TS - Sunshine of Your Love land.

I would say Plexitube sounds the best and is the most flexible.
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X