Hey Amp Experts, I need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toxikdeth View Post
    Have you considered the blackstar ht5? Its a very nice fit for what you want.
    +1 on this suggestion. It's 5 watts but it is set up in a push-pull configuration so it sounds like a higher watt amp. It can easily power a 4x12 cab as well if you decide to get the head. I played this amp through a 1960 marshall cab and a V30 cab at guitar center. It sounded great with an EMG equipped guitar and a Seymour Duncan equipped guitar. The clean is ok, but the drive channel is cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
      I've just been jamming my Class 5 with a Plexitube out front. Great sound at low volume - lots of hi-gain Marshall goodness.

OK - I was going to do a full video review for you on the Class 5 with a bunch of pedals to give you an idea - but the batteries in my camera died - so, sorry. And rather than buy new ones, I ended up jamming for three hours.

So -

Plexitube W/ Class 5 - vol 3-5 at most; classic high gain Marshall sounds - Guns, Ride the Lightning, Maiden, Priest, etc. Can do really modern stuff with EQ tweaking.

Dist + - Vol 3-5, gets shrill and flubby fully wicked up - classic 70's distortion, lots of sproing. It actually sounds the most like the amp itself - i.e. will give you the sound of the Class 5 on 10, when run on 3... get it?

Tubescreamer TS-9 - Mid Volume - level up all the way, no distortion - punchy, sharp solo boost; High Volume - same TS settings - really liquid lead sounds (can do 80's leads, but no grunt for rhythm), lots of treble and cut. Sounded surprisingly good; Mid Volume, distortion from TS - Sunshine of Your Love land.

I would say Plexitube sounds the best and is the most flexible.
      Okay thanks. Now this Marshall is more interesting sounding. I'm definitely going to try it out today or tomorrow. Luckily the place that has it also has lots of higher end pedals that most places lack so I can try those out while I try the amp out. I'll see what I can find.
      "Dear Dr. Bill,
      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Eric_kv2 View Post
        +1 on this suggestion. It's 5 watts but it is set up in a push-pull configuration so it sounds like a higher watt amp. It can easily power a 4x12 cab as well if you decide to get the head. I played this amp through a 1960 marshall cab and a V30 cab at guitar center. It sounded great with an EMG equipped guitar and a Seymour Duncan equipped guitar. The clean is ok, but the drive channel is cool.
        I keep hearing about these but I can't find anywhere here that sells them.
        "Dear Dr. Bill,
        I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Anyone used the Ibanez Tube King? It sounds quite good in the videos I've seen of it and basically no negative reviews. It seems quite versatile. It has a built in noise gate and a basic eq.

Link:
          Long & McQuade is Canada`s biggest music store offering a huge selection of musical instruments and music lessons across Canada. Guitars & Drums!

Videos:
          Buy Now: https://goo.gl/AR9gKqThe Ibanez TK999HT Tube King Distortion Pedal - A regal name in distortion pedals, the Tube King returns to the Ibanez lineup. ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGKznaLJD3s (This one's through a Hotrod Deluxe. My school has one for the jazz band. A very nice amp for cleans.)
          "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
            I keep hearing about these but I can't find anywhere here that sells them.
            They don't have them at your guitar center?
            "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
            Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

We don't have Guitar Center (to the best of my knowledge) in Canada.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                We don't have Guitar Center (to the best of my knowledge) in Canada.
                Nope, we don't here at least and the places we do have are getting more and more expensive. $920 for a DK2M? Are you kidding me. Long and Mcquade seems to be getting more expensive and the one here is getting less and less variety in stock. Mother's Music is my preferred place but it's getting a little steep too. At least they are realistic with their prices and will barter if something has a defect.
                "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

Wow, they are gouging pretty bad there. The DK2M's are running around $725 here in Vancouver. (Tom Lee music)
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                    Wow, they are gouging pretty bad there. The DK2M's are running around $725 here in Vancouver. (Tom Lee music)
                    Yeah no kidding. Long and McQuade is getting ridiculous. They had a used white DK2M for $800. It blows my mind because I bought a DK2 new with a more expensive finish for $650 and they threw in a case a few years back. Now they charge you for everything. Our dollar is stronger than it has been in a long time yet they continue to raise prices. They even had a Charvel SD1 but I didn't even want to see the price. I'll just order one from Matt or one of the Canadian online stores when the time comes to get one.

Mother's isn't as ridiculous for pricing. They sell DK2s for about $725 and they have an RR5 for $800. That's where I'm mainly looking at amps and effects though I may look at the local shop though I'm not a fan of theirs because of past experiences.
                    Last edited by Ben...; 12-30-2009, 03:37 PM.
                    "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

wow, I really feel for you Canucks. The DK2M is a $1600 guitar here and the RR5 is about $2300
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                        wow, I really feel for you Canucks. The DK2M is a $1600 guitar here and the RR5 is about $2300
                        Oh wow. Even converted to CAD that's ridiculous.
                        "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

Yeah but we can't throw another shrimp on the barby in the winter! We needs us our geetars.
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

What about a 6505+ combo? I have the head its amazing.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

this is llike the only vid i could find.. and ive never played it but like i said i own the 120W head.
                            yermsayin?

Comment

isn't the 6505+ combo around 60 watts? Doesn't really qualify as a low watt amp
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                                isn't the 6505+ combo around 60 watts? Doesn't really qualify as a low watt amp
                                Yeah I have a feeling if I used one of those I would have a couple blocks worth of neighbours knocking at the door with pitchforks. Except for the dude down the street who has a band that practices in his garage.

Today was payday so now I have my full budget and I woke up early specifically so I could go shopping for the entire afternoon. I'm planning on trying a few things out and going to the shops I haven't gone to yet.
                                "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

Working...
                                X