No announcement yet.

Hey Amp Experts, I need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha,oops. I ended up buying a synth. It's so much fun.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
      Haha,oops. I ended up buying a synth. It's so much fun.
      Oh snap!

I did that once.
      I still have it many years later-an Ensoniq.
      SD1-32.
      It doth kick ass!

Comment

What amp are you currently using?
        "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
        Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Originally posted by toxikdeth View Post
          What amp are you currently using?
          Just this Traynor practice amp. It's not very good sounding but it gets the job done. It's 30 watt solid state.

My new synth is godly! Opinions to follow in new thread soon. It really nails that cheesy Van Halen "Jump" sound. Mine's the latest in the Roland Juno series. The Juno Di. It has like 1330 different sound thingies. The piano and strings are fantastic. Plus you can run your iPod through it and it can take out certain parts of the song like the vocals and stuff.
          Last edited by Ben...; 01-01-2010, 12:17 AM.
          "Dear Dr. Bill,
          I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

none of those amps will give you the type or amount of gain you want.
            Look at a used JCM900 50W with reverb. They come in head and cab style and combo. That amp will give you exactly the tone you are looking for and dimed out it should give you the perfect amount of gain.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              none of those amps will give you the type or amount of gain you want.
              Look at a used JCM900 50W with reverb. They come in head and cab style and combo. That amp will give you exactly the tone you are looking for and dimed out it should give you the perfect amount of gain.
              He spent the money on a synth
              "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
              Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

wow, that should be pretty close

Comment

Haha yep. I should have more than enough money for an amp by February break. I'll get one then. I'm about to get really busy with school stuff because finals are in two and a half weeks. Yay!

I've wanted a synth for about a year now so I think it's money well spent. It has everything I'll ever need so I don't think I'll need to get anything for it anytime soon unless I'm in a situation where I need an amp for it. My Sennheisers suffice for what I use it for.
                  "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

Synthesizers are always outdated within a month or so.
                    Saying that, I still think the 20 year old Ensoniq has avenues
                    I have never explored.

It has all the raw data, patch selections which I'm sure I'll never quite learn, kind of like an old Moog.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                      Synthesizers are always outdated within a month or so.
                      Saying that, I still think the 20 year old Ensoniq has avenues
                      I have never explored.

It has all the raw data, patch selections which I'm sure I'll never quite learn, kind of like an old Moog.
                      Haha no kidding. Mine is crazy. You can connect it to a computer, download patches, and edit basically every patch. I found it hilarious when I found the Commodore 64 patch. You can totally make 8-bit music with it. It came with some software that I haven't installed yet. It also came with an instructional video that I may have to make use of because this thing is so crazy to use!

There is so much stuff I don't even know where to begin. I spent 4 hours last night just experimenting with different things. I really want to see how the vocoder works. Those things are so neat. I also really like that it accepts USB flash drives that you can put MIDI or MP3 files on and the keyboard can read it. I remember when I had piano lessons when I was little the pianos only had floppy disk slots but no one had computers with drives to add music to them and the files sounded terrible.

It's crazy how it has 9 or 10 octave that you can play in. I set it to "-3" octaves compared to normal and the lowest octave worth of notes were just rumbles.
                      Last edited by Ben...; 01-01-2010, 07:24 PM.
                      "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

If not yet mentioned, you MAY wanna check out Jet City Amplification. So far, their clips and reviews sound promising.
                        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Ben, may I suggest the Jet City JCA-20. It's a 20 watt head, designed by Mike Soldano, and sells for $299, but you would need a cab. From all the clips I've heard, the Jet City kicks ass all over anything in it's price range.

I'm probably going to pick one up myself, but I might wait until the 100 watt model is out.
                          Last edited by zeegler; 01-02-2010, 11:11 AM.
                          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Wow, 3 recommendations for Jet City. Maybe I'll check them out once my funds replenish.
                            "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

In the meantime, check out the clips on youtube.
                              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Should check out the VOX Nighttrain. Played one at guitarcenter that was set up through the cheapiest fucking cab ever (Raven 4x12) with a LTD VF-401 Eclipise and it had some fucking balls on it. Does the modded Marshall sound pretty well, deffinatly sounded pretty bitchin'.
                                Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

Comment

Working...
                                X