Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using highest speaker load for best tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using highest speaker load for best tone?

As a New year’s resolution, I’m gonna stop procrastinating and ask this question that’s been bugging me for some time. One of the gear article’s from the November GP Shop Talk discussed speaker impedance and matching to an amp. Fine, been there and I know the basics. The author then states that it’s best to use the highest ohm speaker load that the amp can handle. I don’t want to confuse things, so I’ll just quote it:

“When a transformer is made, it is wound for the largest impedance – the other impedance taps are just a smaller percentage of the whole transformer. So, for example, on a 16 ohm transformer the 8ohm tap would be placed at 70.7% of the full winding. If there were a 4 ohm tap, it would be placed at 50% of the full winding. So if you were using a 4 ohm tap into a 4 ohm speaker, you would only be using half of your transformer! Think of an 8-cylinder engine with 4 of the spark plugs disconnected. It may run, but it won’t be optimum. Using the entire transformer winding means you’re getting full performance from the transformer.”

Is this right? So if I’m using an 8 ohm load for a an amp designed to use 16, 8 and 4-ohm loads, I’m not getting the best potential tone outta it? Cos if this is right, I gotta start rewiring some speakers!
    Please discuss. Oh, and Happy New Year!
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

My opinion, just stay with a matched load.
    Anything else and your playing with fire.

Edit...just using the highest tap as opposed to the lowest-not sure.
    I'll have to research it.
    I have 16, 8 and 4 ohm cabinets and don't notice a large amount
    of difference in efficiency running with same amp.
    The biggest difference is in the type of speaker (alnico vs ceramic, voice coil size, etc)
    and the type of cabinets.
    Last edited by Cygnus X1; 01-02-2010, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
      “When a transformer is made, it is wound for the largest impedance – the other impedance taps are just a smaller percentage of the whole transformer. So, for example, on a 16 ohm transformer the 8ohm tap would be placed at 70.7% of the full winding. If there were a 4 ohm tap, it would be placed at 50% of the full winding. So if you were using a 4 ohm tap into a 4 ohm speaker, you would only be using half of your transformer! Think of an 8-cylinder engine with 4 of the spark plugs disconnected. It may run, but it won’t be optimum. Using the entire transformer winding means you’re getting full performance from the transformer.”
      This sounds correct to me.

FWIW, I use the 16 ohm tap on my DSL100 and Laney AOR's.

Comment

This is true but your Ohms switch on your head needs to be match or be lower or it will do damage. Assuming you have a switchable Oms head.
        Your safe combonations would be:

16 Ohm head - 16 Ohm cab. Optimal.
        8 Ohm head - 16 Ohm Cab. 70% power output from transformer. this is also good to do if you are running a 100w head in 50w mode because you have cut half power protecting the transformer from a surge)
        4 Ohm head into 16 Ohm Cab. 50% power output from transformer

If you are running an 8 Ohm cab and have a switchable Ohms on your head.

8 Ohm Head into 8 Ohm Cab. Optimal.
        4 Ohm Head into 8 Ohm cab. 50% power cut. (this is also good to do if you are running a 100w head in 50w mode because you have cut half power protecting the transformer from a surge)

4 Ohm Head into 4 Ohm cab. Only option is to match.

If you run a 4 Ohm head into a 16 Ohm cab you will hear a tonal difference. It sounds brighter and thinner. Sometimes people do this just because they like the sound. It will not harm anything and it does put less stress on the output tranny.
        Last edited by Firebird V; 01-02-2010, 11:28 AM.

Comment

After running my Marshall a couple different way (4/4 & 16/16), I like the way it sounds 16/16. Not sure why, but it seems to keep thing a little tighter. Weird. BTW - 100 watt Marshall JVM .

Comment

Thanks for the responses. The article brought up something that I never thought of before and I just wanted what others' experiences were. I'm not rewiring any speaker cabs....yet!
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

If that's the case, does it mean a full stack would never sound it's best since the majority of the time, multiple cabinets are in parallel?

Comment

I know its a mental block, but Ive always liked my Marshall at 8 Ohm's. (2 16 ohm cabs, or 1 8 ohm cab)
                "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
                  If that's the case, does it mean a full stack would never sound it's best since the majority of the time, multiple cabinets are in parallel?
                  Correct. Unless you wired them up as 32 ohms with 4 8 ohm speakers each in series.

I think we are really splitting hairs here

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    Correct. Unless you wired them up as 32 ohms with 4 8 ohm speakers each in series.

I think we are really splitting hairs here
                    I'm going to have to agree with Don here, this effect has got to be subtle. Unless your output transformer sucks, and we all know amp manufacturers would never install a sub-par transformer, right?
                    "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
                      I'm going to have to agree with Don here, this effect has got to be subtle. Unless your output transformer sucks, and we all know amp manufacturers would never install a sub-par transformer, right?
                      I use oversized output transformers in my low watt amps.
                      Rated for 15 watts, the most it will "see" would be 7 watts.

Plugs for 4, 8, and 16 ohms.
                      (I don't trust switches).
                      So I can immediately switch between different cabs, and I still don't hear much difference as long as the impedance is matched.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                        I use oversized output transformers in my low watt amps.
                        Rated for 15 watts, the most it will "see" would be 7 watts.

Plugs for 4, 8, and 16 ohms.
                        (I don't trust switches).
                        So I can immediately switch between different cabs, and I still don't hear much difference as long as the impedance is matched.
                        This is what I was talking about. With an ideal transformer, there will be no difference.
                        "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

i use the 4 ohm setting on my amps while running an 8 ohm load. i like the way it sounds and i have never had an issue. been doing it for YEARS.
                          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

16 ohm VHT 4/12 cab for my left channel is plugged into the 16 ohm output of the amp... 2ea Crate 2/12 cabs at 6.8 ohms on a digital meter
                            are plugged into the "B" side of the VHT power amp, with the 4 ohm setting chosen. Keep the amp set lower than the actual impedence of
                            the cab...

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                              i use the 4 ohm setting on my amps while running an 8 ohm load. i like the way it sounds and i have never had an issue. been doing it for YEARS.
                              I understand.
                              Running a 1/2 load usually isn't that big of a deal.
                              A good OT will take it, but mixing and mussing loads is usually counterproductive at best and risky at worst.

You just have to cross your fingers and hope the designer of the amp figured that mismatch in.

Just as many will take it fine as will give up magic smoke.

Can't say much for others than classic Fender or Marshall, but matching loads is usually the best way to get the most out of the amp.
                              I know I "design" that way.
                              (That is a very loose term in the amp world).
                              I just know what sort of signal it is pushing, what the output tubes like to see, and what OT I put in to accommodate.
                              The output transformer's very existence is to buffer what the amp puts out to what the load is after all is said and done.

Comment

Working...
                              X