Crate 50 watt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate 50 watt

Saw a Crate stealth 50 watt head for sale cheap and wondered if anyone has used one.6L6 powered,fuzzy tolex.
    2 channel/reverb.
    Made in USA and what I could find its a Lee Jackson design.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

I would check the tubes again. The 50 watt should have 6v6 tubes. If there are 6L6 someone has put in the wrong ones or had it changed over to accomodate those types of tubes by changing the specs in the amp. The Stealth's aren't all that bad especially for a fairly cheap amp.

Comment

Thanks I will check it out close Monday and try it out first.I was reading a HC review and the guy may have been incorrect in what tubes it had.
      The one I looked at seemed to have EL 34's.
      Its a Lee jackson design and he was big on EL 34's in a 50 watter.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Dane View Post
        I would check the tubes again. The 50 watt should have 6v6 tubes. If there are 6L6 someone has put in the wrong ones or had it changed over to accomodate those types of tubes by changing the specs in the amp. The Stealth's aren't all that bad especially for a fairly cheap amp.
        A pair of 6V6 tubes put out about 15 - 20 watts. Some say they can get 30 watts out of a pair but I doubt it.

So are you saying the 50 watt version has 4 6V6 tubes in it?

I think a pair of 6L6 tubes would be more likely. A pair of these can put out 50 - 60 watts.

FWIW Some dumbass loaded the first Marshall I purchased (from a pawn shop) with 4 6L6 tubes. It worked, but they were running pretty hot.

Comment

IIRC the Crate Stealth should have 2 EL34's.
          Gil

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            A pair of 6V6 tubes put out about 15 - 20 watts. Some say they can get 30 watts out of a pair but I doubt it.

So are you saying the 50 watt version has 4 6V6 tubes in it?

I think a pair of 6L6 tubes would be more likely. A pair of these can put out 50 - 60 watts.

FWIW Some dumbass loaded the first Marshall I purchased (from a pawn shop) with 4 6L6 tubes. It worked, but they were running pretty hot.
            Yes the 50 watt has 4 6V6 tubes with no substitutions. The 100 watt is 4 EL-34 or 6550s.

Comment

It said 50 watt on it I will check closer tomorrow.

Comment

Well got it home today and its in decent shape just needs the Crate logo if anyone has one.
                The 6V6's are GT's and the tubes are black and you can barely see them glow.The 3 pre-amp tubes are 12 AX7's and they look fine.
                Any suggestions for new 6V6's?I'm looking for some low end fat-ness out of this 50 watter.
                Two gain stages which I like and the reverb is pretty nice as well, real chimey on the clean channel.
                The drive channel is lacking due to the worn out 6V6's so looking for ideas for new tubes.
                My amp guy has lots of vintage tubes like Mullards,Sylvania's etc.He carries the new Sovtek's too.So shoot me some ideas.
                Not a bad snag for $120.00 out the door.

Comment

JJ makes nice 6V6's.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can sub in 6L6's into a 6V6 amp and get more bottom end and headroom. It won't generate any more wattage because you'd have to raise the B+ replace trannies and other nasty stuff.

But you cannot put in EL34's because the heater current in an EL34 is a lot higher than 6V6 or 6L6. You'd have to get another 6VAC tranny to supply additional heater current.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can sub in 6L6's into a 6V6 amp and get more bottom end and headroom.
                      I think a 6L6 is like twice the power and won't work. I believe a 6G6 might work in place of a 6V6.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks.I'll check into al this with my amp guy.

Comment

I do not think the 6L6's can be used to sub. I think I have an extra Crate logo. It might be a large one from a 4x12 cab. I do not know if they were the same size. I will take a look later. Excellent amp especially for $120. The bottom end is a little weak on them but still works.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            I think a 6L6 is like twice the power and won't work. I believe a 6G6 might work in place of a 6V6.
                            No. A 6L6 can handle twice the power.

It does not make twice the power unless you make the changes to the amp I described above.

Comment

I wouldn't knock the 6V6GT so quickly.
                              They are great tubes in that application.
                              NOS RCA blackplates are great, but as I mentioned-the JJ's are
                              very good for new tubes.

Comment

Working...
                              X