No announcement yet.

Crate 50 watt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are 6V6's supposed to be so black looking?I read somewhere they coat them to dissipate heat is that the case?
    Thanks Cyg and Don P. I will check that out too.
    Robbie the mounting holes are 4' apart if that helps.I could use the large logo too so if you want to part with it let me know.
    Last edited by straycat; 01-06-2010, 02:40 AM.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The logo I have is about 8 inches long and the mounting holes are a little over 4 1/2 inches apart. I can send you a picture if you want. [email protected]

Comment

Not sure about the black coating/clear glass.
        The best 6V6's I have heard, tried...are black glass.
        They are usually Sylvania or RCA, or other brands labeled differently, but with that "Stop Sign" emblem.

Just go for the JJ's...they are the best new production I have encountered, and none have "given up the ghost" prematurely.

If you run across some old ones labeled odd, like FoMoCo, or Delco, or Magnavox...likely they are relabeled RCA.
        But don't bend over backwards trying to find them.
        If you do, fine.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Went back to the pawn shop and picked up the 4X12 cab that went with this head and wow big difference in how this head sounds.
            Tons of bottom end now and great mid range.
            Pulled the back of the cab off and found 4 older Celestion vintage 30's so no wonder it sounded great.
            Got the cab for $180.00 so a total of $300.00 in a great sounding 1/2 stack.
            Heading to the amp shop Monday to get it re-tubed, biased and checked out.
            Going to pick out some new Russian made electro harmonics tubes and see how they sound.The GT's in there now are Chinese so they have to go.
            Last edited by straycat; 01-09-2010, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Wanted to push this amp to see how it acts at full load so broke out the Marshall power brake and did some tweaking and was suprised how well it did.
              Nice fat tone letting it run wide open, really a solid amp overall.
              Not sure what I would compare it to but it has some sizzle like a Marshall when you push it.
              Ugly as all hell but who cares for $300.00 as long as it sounds good.
              Will have to get out the rattle can and paint over the "authentic hate" someday.
              Last edited by straycat; 01-10-2010, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Excellent buy for $300.

Comment

Working...
                X