Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Axefx Ultra after 2 hours of plugging in...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just last night I hooked up a Rocktron Midimate which has controller switches for turning off a single effect in a preset. Including amps.

To begin with, create a patch with two amps. One amp would be "bypassed" and the other engaged. Save the patch. Assign the control no. of the amp to the midimate. Switch to the preset, when you want to engage the second amp, hit the control button. Would that do what you're looking for?

--Sam
    Sam

Comment

• Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
      Just last night I hooked up a Rocktron Midimate which has controller switches for turning off a single effect in a preset. Including amps.

To begin with, create a patch with two amps. One amp would be "bypassed" and the other engaged. Save the patch. Assign the control no. of the amp to the midimate. Switch to the preset, when you want to engage the second amp, hit the control button. Would that do what you're looking for?

--Sam

In theory, yes, that's what I would like to do, but in practicality, that sounds like a lot work (for me)-. I guess I was trying to see if I can get the unit to operate like a separate pre-amp and FX unit. I did read the user manual and I could use this as a straight FX unit but I'd like to take advantage to the pre-amp section. Honestly, I think I'm asking for something that just isn't really a possibility with a unit that uses patches like these. I currently use about 10 different FX patches on my GMajor and all 3 channels of my JSX. I would have to really create 30 patches, one for each combination of FX/Channnel (although the above solution would cut that down). When playing live, I think managing this was would be too much. Still, an awesome unit and I want one.

RacerX: Great to be back. I've been so busy lately that I feel like I fell off the face of the earth. I hope that I can contribute more again.

joe...
      www.godwentpunk.com
      www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

• SUP

Originally posted by GodWentPUNK View Post
        In theory, yes, that's what I would like to do, but in practicality, that sounds like a lot work (for me)-. I guess I was trying to see if I can get the unit to operate like a separate pre-amp and FX unit. I did read the user manual and I could use this as a straight FX unit but I'd like to take advantage to the pre-amp section. Honestly, I think I'm asking for something that just isn't really a possibility with a unit that uses patches like these. I currently use about 10 different FX patches on my GMajor and all 3 channels of my JSX. I would have to really create 30 patches, one for each combination of FX/Channnel (although the above solution would cut that down). When playing live, I think managing this was would be too much. Still, an awesome unit and I want one.

joe...
        You sure can brother,,no problem. On top of the way you can route your chain,,you also have "Send and Receive"(not to be confused with the effects loop) blocks that you can put in to route a given chain to another line of blocks..

You can set up a patch to simulate the three channels quite easily, then add the effects after the cab in any order you would like untill your memory was full.

Here is an example simulating 4 channels +Fx( sorry print screen isn't working)

from top to bottom you have
        Clean
        Pushed clean
        Crunch
        Lead

Which can be MIDI'ed on/off as needed

all going to the cab then out to the FX.

I don't know what FX you use so I did this one real quick. you can have any on/off into the others or strait out. there are sooooo many ways to route though I'm sure you can do whatever you need.

You could even make this 6 channels, by connecting the 2 clean channels up to the amp block also.

Naa,, you would only have to set up your 10 current FX chains based on what you use in each patch. To cut that number down, any effects you use in more than one you might even be able to just leave in the patch and turn them off.

MOSHON
        DAVE
        "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

• Dave,

Thanks for the info, looks pretty good. I need to really think about what you've done and determine if that's how I use my current rig. For the most part, I think I could do what I want. I might loose a little operational functionality that I've come accustom to with a separate head/FX unit but some of the tones and FX I've heard from this system really outweigh those issues.

joe...
          www.godwentpunk.com
          www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Leo Chang View Post
            I got my Axe FX Ultra three weeks ago, and I haven't tweaked any of the presets yet... to me, they sound AWESOME right out of the box. (it came loaded with the latest firmware, so that prob makes a difference)

Using the Ultra with KRK studio monitors... and in the process of selling everything else (except keeping the Mark V as a backup)... simply don't need them anymore.

- Leo.
            Did you ever get your Uberschall you had on order? How does it compare to the modelled one?
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

• Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              Did you ever get your Uberschall you had on order? How does it compare to the modelled one?
              If you dont mind the crappy playing...the very first thing I did when I got the axe was try the exact thing. The first bit is the Uber model on the axe through crate powerblock , then there is a pause and then the Uberschall rev blue with =C= EL34's. Now that I have the ART SLA-2 I must try to record a comparison again because its so much better than the powerblock.

The real amp has way too much bass. But it sounds soo much lively in person. OTOH, The uber model records very well. I just recorded it with Boss Micro BR. The real uber's bass is so much that I could not get the micro br not to clip.

Sam

Comment

• finally someone posts some clips -
                well the modeling of the uber sounds better than the head, "in the clip"
                the heads a bit dark maybe due to how it was recorded or the mic or cab- how exactly did you record the head?

like to hear some more clips people - just playing some simple familiar stuff like am i evil for lower chunks and maybe some 2 minutes to midnight riding the A type riffs ...we rock - i don't know ect...and some single notes held with vibrato examples to hear how it kinda sings and how notes fade.

Comment

• Thanks for posting that EB. I actually preferred the real Uber although it was much darker than the model, so it was hard to compare the two. The distortions sounded very similar though.

Were they both run through the same cab, recorded with the same mic, same positioning?
                  Scott

Comment

• Yup same guitar, same cabs, same Boss Micro BR, same Mr.Sloppy . The real Uber is way too bassy. I had the knobs dialed like in the model, almost every knob was around 12 o'clock except for the level and master.

I need to come up with better mic placement to capture the real sound. Like I said, in person, the real Uber sounds like a Monster and like Bill used to say, the bass hits you in the balls! There is no way (at least with my limited resources) to capture that in a recording without doing some post processing. And also maybe the Axe model will sound better cause now I'm running through the ART.

In the AXE, I think I had a OD pedal model in front of the Uber and a Parmetric eq afterwards. I'm sorry I cant say for sure because in a recent MIDI/Axe-editor fiasco, the editor wiped out all my presets.
                    Sam

Comment

• Sup?

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                      finally someone posts some clips -
                      well the modeling of the uber sounds better than the head, "in the clip"
                      the heads a bit dark maybe due to how it was recorded or the mic or cab- how exactly did you record the head?

like to hear some more clips people - just playing some simple familiar stuff like am i evil for lower chunks and maybe some 2 minutes to midnight riding the A type riffs ...we rock - i don't know ect...and some single notes held with vibrato examples to hear how it kinda sings and how notes fade.
                      I had some clips up in one of these threads but,,,,,I know its not quite what you were asking for but here are a couple,

oh,,,and You'll have to get past that some are louder and some are quieter and some are just recorded better, as none of these have anything done to them in post( except I added a little 5Khz and a comp to the VHT patch) just bounced out to an MP3 and are not ever meant to be final product type stuff,,just tone tests. all guitars are recorded direct.

anyway,
                      the last one I did was this Uber patch clip
                      http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8699636
                      I don't have a real Uber so this is what it is.

Hey Sam.... this is the same Patch I sent you to test, when you get around to making some more uber to uber clips, could you do one of this with it please just for shits and giggles

here are some of the older ones

VHT w/ German cab(Diezel I think)
                      http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8110716

Powerball w/Metal cab( Engl cab v30's)
                      And Your Mighty Fall - Axe test MOSHBALL - Just another little Axe-fx test with the Powerball model.

Powerball w/Metal cab( Engl cab v30's) different patch
                      The Hunger- Axe test Pball - Axe-fx test with the Powerball model and the Metal cab IR.

FAS Modern w/ metal and Cali cabs(mesa standard IIRC)
                      New AXE rif -Non Brutaly Heavy - Tone test of a non brutal but heavy tone, W/simple patch of drive amp cab. GTRs are direct,panned then to MP3. Drums are just 2 EZDrummer midi files. I forgot to bring the master vol. up(why its so low) and to edit the extra kik snr hits out,,,,,oops

And Ill see if the guys are cool with me posting something from what I'm mixing right now, that I tracked with the Uber model.

MOSHON
                      DAVE
                      Last edited by MOSHWITZ; 04-05-2010, 04:45 PM.
                      "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

• Will do man. I think I'll fire up the real Uber today. Miss playing on it ever since I got the axe.
                        Sam

Comment

• Originally posted by MOSHWITZ View Post
                          Sup?

I had some clips up in one of these threads but,,,,,I know its not quite what you were asking for but here are a couple,

oh,,,and You'll have to get past that some are louder and some are quieter and some are just recorded better, as none of these have anything done to them in post( except I added a little 5Khz and a comp to the VHT patch) just bounced out to an MP3 and are not ever meant to be final product type stuff,,just tone tests. all guitars are recorded direct.

anyway,
                          the last one I did was this Uber patch clip
                          http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8699636
                          I don't have a real Uber so this is what it is.

Hey Sam.... this is the same Patch I sent you to test, when you get around to making some more uber to uber clips, could you do one of this with it please just for shits and giggles

here are some of the older ones

VHT w/ German cab(Diezel I think)
                          http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8110716

Powerball w/Metal cab( Engl cab v30's)
                          And Your Mighty Fall - Axe test MOSHBALL - Just another little Axe-fx test with the Powerball model.

Powerball w/Metal cab( Engl cab v30's) different patch
                          The Hunger- Axe test Pball - Axe-fx test with the Powerball model and the Metal cab IR.

FAS Modern w/ metal and Cali cabs(mesa standard IIRC)
                          New AXE rif -Non Brutaly Heavy - Tone test of a non brutal but heavy tone, W/simple patch of drive amp cab. GTRs are direct,panned then to MP3. Drums are just 2 EZDrummer midi files. I forgot to bring the master vol. up(why its so low) and to edit the extra kik snr hits out,,,,,oops

And Ill see if the guys are cool with me posting something from what I'm mixing right now, that I tracked with the Uber model.

MOSHON
                          DAVE

That works, i just wanted to hear moving around the neck more with 5ths and chugs ect to hear the tone across the neck.
                          nice playing btw - dig it.

That uber patch does sound awesome, i like it a lot -
                          Is that just the raw sound of the pre and cab sim dry and direct?
                          really harmonically rich.
                          I can't tell at all it's a modeler i have to say.

don't lose that patch in case i cave :|

Comment

• Sup?

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                            That works, i just wanted to hear moving around the neck more with 5ths and chugs ect to hear the tone across the neck.
                            nice playing btw - dig it.

That uber patch does sound awesome, i like it a lot -

Is that just the raw sound of the pre and cab sim dry and direct?
                            really harmonically rich.
                            I can't tell at all it's a modeler i have to say.

don't lose that patch in case i cave :|
                            Thanks brother
                            That is my go to patch as of late.

Yes,,,that is patch direct into Cubase5 panned L+R and bounced to MP3.

The chain goes like this,,,

Gate,
                            Drive,,,(modded ts808),
                            Filter,,,(Dynamically controlled Hi Pass filter,,the harder I chug the higher the cut freq.),
                            Ubershall amp sim,
                            Metal 4x12 cab sim(Engl w/V30's) + Nuemann U87 mic sim
                            Parametric EQ
                            Filter2 (Low passed around 10 or 11KHz)
                            Out 1.

Naaaaa,,this thing is so far beyond the "Modeler" moniker its not even funny.
                            You for sure couldn't tell if you were standing in front of my 4x12's

No problem brother,,,just Let me know what day next month that your new Ultra gets delivered and I'll shoot you a couple cool patches

MOSHON
                            DAVE

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by MOSHWITZ View Post
                                Sup?
                                Naaaaa,,this thing is so far beyond the "Modeler" moniker its not even funny.
                                You for sure couldn't tell if you were standing in front of my 4x12's

No problem brother,,,just Let me know what day next month that your new Ultra gets delivered and I'll shoot you a couple cool patches
                                MOSHON
                                DAVE
                                Sup Dave!

Love the tone you get on your Axe-fx. I haven't been so successful getting a tone that I really like, recording wise. I get great tone when I am running out of a VHT / 4x12. It also appears that you are using everything native to the Axe-FX and not going the Redwirez route. Would you mind sending me your patches also? I need to get a starting point that I can venture off from.

-Nate
                                Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Working...
                                X