No announcement yet.

Mesa Boogie, 6505, or peavey xxx ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think MESA it is, I cant wait, 6505 sounds like it might be bad ass. Leaning more towards the boogie, for my first tube amp.
    I love guitars, Always have and always will.

Comment

hmm, i havent owned any of these, but i always hear mesa's are finnicky, may not be the best "first" tube amp

like everyone else says, look around, take your time, play some amps

im waiting to find a good deal on a 6505+ myself, i like the sound of these, more so than the triple rec, a buddy has both, but the triple rec kills in the volume department, effin beast is unbelievably loud, may have something to do with the cabs, as both have there matching counterparts

but tone is subjective and everyones ears are different
      Last edited by gmbob22; 01-24-2010, 05:25 PM.

Comment

if you're interested in the 5150, and you want to have any decent clean tone at all, get the 5150ii aka 6505+. I don't have to crank mine to get a decent tone, it always sounds good!

Comment

OK, Heres what I got happening right now...... I got ahold of this guy whos selling his mesa single and 2x12 recto cab for a decent price i think (1000) anywayz, its a series 1 single recto.

What I wanna know is whats the differance between series 1 and 2. ???????
          I'm sure theres really no diffrence in sound, I'm gonna mainly use the modern mode anywayz. so, its shouldnt matter if its a series 1 or 2 right???

Comment

theres lots of talk the series ones are better somehow I think there are marginal differences maybe in certain parts between series 1 and series 2 rectos, thats good price for the head and cab as the series 1's typically go for a little more...

I cant see you not liking it because it's older...

Enjoy

Comment

Thanks for everyones input, I found me a mesa single rectifier and 2x12 loaded with V30, for 1000. im super stoked, thanks alot

Comment

Originally posted by Nezgual View Post
                Thanks for everyones input, I found me a mesa single rectifier and 2x12 loaded with V30, for 1000. im super stoked, thanks alot
                congrats. got a Roadster and im more then satisfied. try to boost it with an overdrive and you re in chugga chugga heaven.

Comment

I'll chime in about the Carvin V3.

My main setup is a MP-1 through a VHT 2:90, but I had a chance to pick up a used V3 for $400. After spending 10+ years on rack setups I wanted to try a simple tube head again.

I was pleasantly surprised. For the "metal" sound I go for, the V3 by itself sounded amazingly good compared to the thousands I've spent on other stuff. I find myself playing through it alot now.

I'm not saying it competes with super high end stuff, but bang for the buck, I'd recommend it.

Comment

With the money youre looking to spend, personally Id go with one of the peaveys. Now, Ill possibly be banned from the site for a short time for this suggestion, but, maybe consider a B52 AT-100. This was my first tube amp and I was very pleased with it. I even gigged it for about a year before trading up to marshall(I have 2 900s, 1 modded and 1 stock and soon to pick up a 2203kk)
                    The B52 AT100 imo is a great amp for the price($700 ish new and $400 ish used)
                    Its a shame theres not a GC close by for ya cause your ears will be the bottom line in this situation.
                    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Oh, and dont be surprised if after you buy the amp you choose to buy just doesnt do it for you anymore, thats normal. Ive been through countless heads of different tones, 1. your taste in tone may change from experience and 2. youll have entered the tube realm where you realize that no one tube amp can do it all and youll end up with multiple amps(not knocking tube amps, just like guitars, who has only one, you can never in my oppinion ever have enough toys) and 3. if you really start to get into it youll start modding them or having them modded Nothing makes it more your own then when you begin second guessing the designing engineers.
                      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I got a b-52 at-100 head and old Peavey 4x12 for $600 at Guitar Center. It's a little buzzy at nighttime volumes, but when you open it up you can get a great metal tone, a great classic rock tone, and a very clean clean tone.

I'm sure you'd be happy with it for your first tube amp. Stay away from the combos though; I hear they had serious overheating problems.
                        Scott

Comment

I love the 5150s the originals always do me good.

Comment

Working...
                          X