Need some tone help....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some tone help....

Ok, So I have gone from a Highly moded Marshall DSL 50 , a refrigerator sized rack and a few JAcksons to a solid state combo amp and a pieced together guitar

So as far as the amp goes, I had a Peavy Rage Transtube 15 watt amp that , although wasn't a tube amp, had a SMOOTH distortion to it.

SO I decided to get the New BAndit 112, which has a lot of features to it, dual channels, seperate EQ for them, reverb, and FX loop and a foot switchable boost.

Well, even though it is a transtube amp, the distortion on it has this buzzy sound to it at times.

How much does a pup affect your tone when using a solid state amp? The pup I have is a Duncan Full shred, so if I put something like a Dimarzio in my guitar, will it get rid of some of this brittle buzziness?

I feel so lost right now, cause I have gone from knowing tons of stuff about how to get great tones and with cash being no issue, I could just buy this and that, but now those days are gone and I can't just do that anymore and I feel like I just can't get a decent tone with this new amp.

I don't know weather to try and send the amp back , that maybe it's defective, or to try and replace the pickup, or finnally get a Valve King amp, which is close to the price I paid for the bandit 112.

Any and all help or comments are greatly appreciated

Rick
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

the Full Shred is a bright pickup. most players that i've talked to like it in the neck more that the bridge. if you're looking more for a sound you grew up hearing i'd look to the Dimarzio Super Distortion and the new Marshall Haze combo.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

The Tone Zone might also be a good choice... I like it. The Full Shred is a little to bright for me.

I do think the guitar's actual tone (including the pickup) is much less apparent with most solid state amps as well as cheaper modelers. My little Korg Pandora headphone thing, you could plug a plywood Korean POS into it or a Koa Custom Shop and they'd both sound about the same.

Comment

It's funny you guys mention those Pup's I had the Super Distortion in my Iceman and the Tone Zone in my soloist, LOL

Loved em, but that was through THE DSL and RAck and stuff, and the other thing now, is I reallly can't afford a Haze. I did try it and it is WAY too loud for what I need
        Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Working...
        X