MXR Phase 90 and Fx loop ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXR Phase 90 and Fx loop ?

I did do some searching on this and found a thread that was started by me, but it was 5 years old, so rather than keep it going, I figured I would just get to the ?

I have an MXR EVH phase 90, I had been running it in front of the amp I had cause it had no loop, but now I got an amp with a loop, but it sounds horrible in the loop, it really takes the over all volume level down enough that it is unusable in the loop.

Now my MXR flanger sounds a lot louder in the loop, but just the flange not the whole signal, it's a totally different sound than in front of the amp, but with the phase 90 it isn't a case of DIFFERENT sounds, its a usable VS non usable sound.

Is this due to this particular pedal, or could it be this particular amps loop? My original phase 90 sounded great in my MArshall loop, but I don't have either of those to test it out now.

Also, in front of the little practice amp that I had been using the phase 90 in front of, it sounded great, but it did sound like it didin't have a lot of highs to it, in front of the new amp, it has this point where the highs really kick in at a certain point in the sweep cycle, I would assume that has something to do with the amp, which is a whole nother story that I am debating about
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Do you have any other pedals to test in the loop? If you get the volume drop with all of them then you know it isn't just an issue with the phaser. Also, is there a level adjust pot for the loop? If there is try bumping it up and down and seeing how it affects things.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Yea, Like I said, my flanger sounds good in the loop, just it is like a more searing flange with less of the original guitar signal in it. It sounds good, but I like the sound better out front.

There is no level adsustment on the loop. I would think that if there were an issue with the phase 90, that it wouldn't sound good at all, I jsut thought maybe the thing wasn't designed to go in a loop to begin with.
      Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

I tried a Retro-Sonic Phaser in the loop of my amps and it sounded like crap too. The Retro-Sonic is a high end phaser based on the Phase 90 circuit but it adds more control. Even has a level knob but that didn't help the tone in the loop. Upfront it sounds great so thats where I've been running it since. I would expect a Phase 90 to act similarly and I'd just run it upfront.
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
        X