No announcement yet.

Line 6 DL4 Opinions about reliability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 DL4 Opinions about reliability?

First a story about mine. I bought a Line 6 DL4 shortly after they were originally introduced. It sounded like a useful tool for a player that likes many different kinds of modern and vintage delays, and at the time, most reviews were pretty favorable. I only had it for a month or so, liked it a lot but hadn't really put it though any hardcore playing time, when along came tropical storm Allison in 2001.

My bands practice space flooded with four inches of water for a whole day. Fortunately most of our equipment was either on casters or in rack spaces... Off the floor and above the water line, so we didn't sustain any major damage... Except for my almost brand new DL4, which being a pedal, happened to be on the floor. It was completely submerged the entire time.

After the flooding receded, I figured the pedal was toast. It had even been plugged in during the flood. I let it dry out for a couple of weeks "Just in case" it might still work, but it did not. Rather than throw it away (It wasn't an inexpensive pedal) I stuck it in a box and forgot about it.

This last weekend, I stumbled upon it for the first time since 2001, and on a lark hooked it up. Works perfectly!

I've read a lot of recent reviews of these, and many people have major reliability problems with this unit, so I'm doubly surprised.

I have one of the early run models, has the build quality of the newer ones suffered? Is this just a lucky fluke? Anyone else like these or had major problems with them?

It probably just took some time to dry out. When you tried to use it closely after the flood it was probably still affected by internal moisture. The 8 years in a closet gave it time to dry out. However it may still die due to internal corrosion, so if you are planning on gigging with it, I'd have it looked at by a tech or buy a redundant backup.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

my XT live got floodeed completely. i let it dry out for a week under a fan on towels and it still works perfectly. you got to hand it to line 6. they build their shit right.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
        It probably just took some time to dry out. When you tried to use it closely after the flood it was probably still affected by internal moisture. The 8 years in a closet gave it time to dry out. However it may still die due to internal corrosion, so if you are planning on gigging with it, I'd have it looked at by a tech or buy a redundant backup.
        True. I'm not sure it's something I'd want to depend on, I was just impressed that it worked at all!

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
          my XT live got floodeed completely. i let it dry out for a week under a fan on towels and it still works perfectly. you got to hand it to line 6. they build their shit right.
          Well, I'm impressed so far. I was just surprised at the huge amount of negative reviews I've read about this unit in particular.

Comment

They probably had some where there was a bad batch of capacitors or something. Line 6 gear does tend towards 'plastic' but I've found anything I own from them to be utterly reliable. (2 toneports and a pocketpod.)

Line 6's tape delay modelling is amazing. They nailed it in my opinion.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              They probably had some where there was a bad batch of capacitors or something. Line 6 gear does tend towards 'plastic' but I've found anything I own from them to be utterly reliable. (2 toneports and a pocketpod.)

Line 6's tape delay modelling is amazing. They nailed it in my opinion.
              Yeah, I dig the delay models this unit is capable of. They might not be 100% accurate, but they're definitely close enough for me.

Comment

Working...
              X