carvin quad x/ bogner triple giant/?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carvin quad x/ bogner triple giant/?

before i make my move back to mesa i was thinking of tryin another tube preamp.

so i'm thinking quad x or triple giant. can anyone shed some light on these units for me? also if you have a suggestion of another preamp....

i'm into bands like the absence, cannibal, all that remains, etc. i need a nice tight sound.:idea:

owned a few Quad X's. Organic and articulate. Incredible features. The direct recording out is one of the best I ever heard.
    Its definately not modern sounding though and its not extremely tight.
    Hard rock and anything else except tight modern metal.
    Much more similar in tone to the Mark Series Mesa amps.
    Sounds NOTHING like the rectifier series.

Comment

thanks jgcable, guess that cancels out the quad x as an option. i'm actually plannin on using whatever preamp w/ your old power amp

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
        thanks jgcable, guess that cancels out the quad x as an option. i'm actually plannin on using whatever preamp w/ your old power amp
        I used a Quad X with that poweramp. Sounded great. I used a Soldano SP77 with that poweramp. Sounded great.
        I used a Boss GT6, a GT8 and an XT Live with that poweramp and they all sounded great.
        You should consider a Marshall JMP1. They are fantastic and extremely versatile.
        You should also consider an ADA MP-1 that has been modded. They sound fantastic too.
        A Boss GT-Pro would be killer with that power amp and of course all the rage these days is the Axe-FX.

Comment

did the mp-1 thing. had the mesa/5150/soldano mod. mod3 i think it was called. yeah was gonna try the jmp1 but theyre goin for rediculous amounts on ebay right now. i dont think i spelled that right....anyways, yeah i had a xt live which was pretty cool. i didnt spend much time on it tho. had the gt3/5/and 6 although those arent tube. tried the sgx express, gsp 2112 i think it was. mighta been the 2120. it was a while ago. none have been tried with the t100, but some were tried with my old mesa 50/50. thought about the engl 530. maybe i should sell everything i got and just get an axefx

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
            did the mp-1 thing. had the mesa/5150/soldano mod. mod3 i think it was called. yeah was gonna try the jmp1 but theyre goin for rediculous amounts on ebay right now. i dont think i spelled that right....anyways, yeah i had a xt live which was pretty cool. i didnt spend much time on it tho. had the gt3/5/and 6 although those arent tube. tried the sgx express, gsp 2112 i think it was. mighta been the 2120. it was a while ago. none have been tried with the t100, but some were tried with my old mesa 50/50. thought about the engl 530. maybe i should sell everything i got and just get an axefx
            The Axe FX sounds like the only piece of gear you haven't owned!!
            I heard that new Digidesign Eleven is really good. The clips online are incredible.

Comment

ENGL E530 maybe?

Comment

I had the Triple Giant...it was cool but ultimately replaced by the MP-1 that it had previously replaced. The Axe-FX will get you every tone that you've ever heard or could imagine, but it ain't cheap.

Comment

Did Bogner ever realy issue a triple giant, or do you mean the Hafler one?
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

fuck it all and get a Splawn.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                      Did Bogner ever realy issue a triple giant, or do you mean the Hafler one?
                      There is a true Bogner version but they are extremely rare and go for big $$$ when they surface.

Comment

Well, I only have experience with the Hafler made

in that, the clean is nice, but what the Brown channel lacks in gain, the shark channel has too much

I usually played lead on the brown channel and rythm on the shark for that reason

Getting an ADA MP1 after that, the MP 1 can do the same as the halfler,.. and much more
                        (Even more than my Rocktron Piranha)
                        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

+1 on the Splawn but if you are stuck on pre/power amp setups try the peavey rockmaster.

Comment

The Soldano SP77 is great paired up with a tube poweramp. It's even better w a tubescreamer to prime the pump. I'm also a fan of the Rocktron Voodu valve if one can be found cheap. It's got some decent usable effects in there too, but it's got great a very good distortion.
                            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

i may get a splawn, but i'm pretty set on a mesa for my head. i have the randall rm which i think i may end up keeping as my head for now. the pre/power set up is gonna be my back up but will probably end up getting sold later to have a mesa as a backup, then maybe sell the randall and buy another mesa ..... or splawn.

Comment

Working...
                              X