My first Axe-FX patch made completely with the editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Axe-FX patch made completely with the editor

Since the Axe-FX has been a hot topic around here lately, I thought I would share my experience of creating my first patch completely with the official editor for it. I normally don't mess too much with whacky effects but different sounds can be very inspiring. Here's my tale.

I just finished a first pass my patch made completely with Axe-Edit and since I had so much making it, I thought I might share a little background on how I created in the hopes that others can learn from my experiences. Overall I spent about 3 hours on it and Axe-Edit made it so easy to try out various routing combos and controller assignments. Without the editor, this would have driven me MAD!

While I was putting together my banks today, I was listening to/watching "It Might Get Loud" (every guitar player should see this BTW). When I finally got around to playing, I started messing with Axe-Edit and decided to mess around with a patch I made for chicken pickin' with my Tele. I started moving blocks around to set up parallel routing and ended up messing with the Rotary block and control the rate with an LFO. One thing led to another and I started to think of Led Zep and decided to create a new patch based around the Rotary block.

Anyway, I knew I wanted a Jimmy Page tone for the regular guitar sound but I didn't want the heavy LP + Marshall sound especially since I was playing my Tele at the time. That led me to playing around with the Vox sim a bit but that didn't sound quite right so I changed to the Matchless which worked out much better.

Anyway, enough of my yakking. Here's the skinny on the patch.

This patch basically has 2 states:

#1 Mildy Distorted Rock Tone (the Brian May-ish tone)

#2 Rotary block with a nasally (telephone) Filter block to make it sound lo-fi.

Here's what those states look like in the editor:

To toggle between these (2) states I would set up one controller like this:

Ext#1
    - Bypass the Cab block which will mute the regular amp signal.
    - Bypass the Drive block to clean up the guitar tone.
    - Engage both Compressor blocks to allow the Rotary sim and it's accompanying Delay block so their signals will pass to the outputs.

I also had a lot of fun assigning LFOs to various parameters along the way but I finally settled on assigning LFO 1 to the balance of the Rotary block so its signal sweeps back and forth across the stereo field at the rate of a 1/4 note. To tie into the panning balance, I set the Rotary block's rate to a 1/16 note.

Finally, the last thing I did was add a ducked Dual Delay off the Rotary block signal path so when I play the last chord of the riff this patch inspired, I get right around 3 repeats that bounce from left to right and back to left. The first repeat is an 1/8th note, the second is an dotted 1/8th note and the last is another 1/8th note from the left channel of the Dual Delay.

One thing I did a lot while making this patch was I copied effects blocks and moved them to blank blocks. This allowed me to save the work I had done a block in case the new thing I didn't like the new thing I put in its place.

IMHO, this patch needs another pass but I'm hitting the hay after this post is made. For next iteration, here's what I have in mind:

1) Try and get the main distorted guitar sound a little clearer but not too thin. I think I'm looking for a tone somewhere between a Marshall Plexi and a Matchless. I might try throwing in another Amp block if I have the CPU power to spare (I'm glad I bought the Ultra). I will probably try playing with cab and mic combo first because that's a quick way to radically shape the amp's tone.

2) Try taking out the Compressor block after the Rotary's Dual Delay block because I don't think I need it any more. I was mess with some crazy high feedback settings on the Delay block so I added a compressor to keep that path's level under control.

If you want to check out this patch, you can find it on the Axe-Chagnge in Bank I slot #1087.

Last but not least, this patch was built around a Tele with Barden pickups which I loud and bright pickups, especially the bridge. Consider this if you decide to try the patch with your guitar. If you've read through this whole post, you'll understand why I named the patch Rotary Tele-Phone.

Cool stuff. I'd really like to get more involved in my patch editing of my Gmajor2 but I end up spending so much time, everything else get ignored. I wish I had the time to do crazy stuff like that.

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

I just do it to get the sounds that inspire me to create music that I otherwise wouldn't have. Besides, the more you do it the faster you get at it because you gain a better understanding of the technical aspect of your gear and you learn how all the effects and their parameters affect your tone.

Comment

Its only deep inside the editor? *the axeexchange"...?

Its not available via the web..i have uploaded the new version of
        the editor...but where are the 1400 patches that i can check out?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
          Its only deep inside the editor?
          I'm sorry Robert. I'm not sure what you mean but that but just to be clear, everything you can access from the editor you can access via just the Axe-FX. I think you know that but I just want to be clear.

As you can imagine, the editor just makes editing presets much more intuitive and significantly faster. I've been making presets with only the Axe-FX itself for about 8 months now and using the editor has rejuvenated my interest in creating more interesting, more powerful and more flexible presets.

Comment

Without clips, you just dialed in a Pignose tone

Comment

Working...
            X