Peavey XXX. What should I look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey XXX. What should I look for?

Well, Taxes were better than I thought so I'm gonna try and grab a XXX. Anyone know what I should be looking for? Differences in years? Any difference between ones with old or new logo? Anything problematic I should check for?
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Are you sure this is the correct amp for you? Sounds like you should do more research and testing.

It's just that there are so many great amps out there, I wouldn't rush out before trying everything.

Just saying...

Comment

The earlier models had an issue with EL34's, even though there was a switch for it on the back. This was fixed later on. I had 6L6's in mine when I had one - no issues and it sounded really good.

Comment

XXX = buzz city IMO. Just be sure you know what you're getting.
        Scott

Comment

Pete is an amp whore who's test drove a lot.

What's the latest and greatest? The Randall RM100? JVM410H?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            Pete is an amp whore who's test drove a lot.

What's the latest and greatest? The Randall RM100? JVM410H?
            I have both of them - actually, I just got my old RM100 back. I think it must be a good amp as I've come back to it 5 times. My Bogner XTC and Roadster are my newest, and I think I'm done for now, except....

I still wanna get my hands on a VHT. Played an Ultra Lead and CLX in the studio, but nothing beats trying them out in your own space.

Comment

Well, buzz city is not what I'm looking for. But for my $600 range, what else is better around there? I'm looking for something more versatile. The RM100 would be perfect but there's no way I'm able to afford one. Or a VHT, JVM, etc.. I haven't had a chance to mess with a XXX that much, and only at very low volume and thought it was pretty versatile. I have recently read that some people say it's buzzy on the ultra channel with the volume and gain higher. Had a decent clean that seem like it might sound good with a chorus and maybe some more eq-ing. I'd like something that will have a pretty wide range, as in does more than just nailing 80's Metallica. Whether anyone likes it or not, my blue doodoo does that just fine, but not much else.
              I do so much love the fact that nowadays tube amps are apparently worth their weight in titanium. It's pretty fucking impossible to get something versatile for a decent price.

Comment

Some of that new Jet City stuff is in that range, but I've never heard it outside of youtube. I doubt Soldano would attach his name to a complete box of crap though.

One of the Peavey 6505+ tube combos is at your budget too. I've played through one at GC and it seemed solid for the money.
                Jackson KV2
                Jackson KE1T
                Jackson KE1F
                Jackson SL1

Comment

That was also on the list. My brother in law has a 5150 combo and I love it except I want a separate EQ for both channels. What's the difference between the 5150II and the 6505+?

Comment

I'm not a Peavey expert, so someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there is a difference between the 5150 II and the 6505+. Wasn't it just renamed after Eddie VH left Peavey and took the 5150 name with him?
                    Jackson KV2
                    Jackson KE1T
                    Jackson KE1F
                    Jackson SL1

Comment

Although great high-gain machines, IMHO the 6505 / 5150s are not particularly "versatile" amps. At least, not in how I would consider that term.

You should be able to get a nice used JSX head for a little bit above your $600 range. I'd suggest saving a little more $$$, and trying one out. I love mine - IMHO, all 3 channels are very strong. However, the speakers in the JSX cabs & combos really blow, though. Match it with something having Celestion V30s, and the JSX really comes to life.

Comment

I haven't seen a JSX go for less than $850 at the very lowest. Here's my problem. Seems that alot tube amps are sold when it's due for a re-tube. Or just with personal preference, may want to change the tubes that are in it. So I'd like to keep it around $600 and have some extra cash for tubes or tweaks as necessary. I still want to get a MXR EQ too as IMHO every amp I play needs an eq. So $600 is really as high as I want to go (also keeping the bills in mind...).

Yes, I want it all, and want it now!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                          I haven't seen a JSX go for less than $850 at the very lowest.
                          :think: I just checked completed auctions on Ebay - JSX heads sold from a low of $600 to a high of $785. Meh. Good luck, whatever you do.

Comment

I'd look into the Jet City amp, like someone suggested. Played a JCA20H at the local GC and really dug it. they now have a 100 watt, dual channel and a 50 watter is o the way.
                            I'm not Ron!

Comment

First of all, I'd save up a little more and get a head/cab setup instead of a combo. Just get a 2x12 with some good speakers; it doesn't have to be a big name brand.

For a versatile tube amp, you're going to spend $1500+. I'd pick the one sound that you absolutely need and get an amp that fits it. Otherwise you'll never be happy in your price range. For metal I'd go 5150/6505 or maybe B-52 AT100. If you're not going to be playing in a band, keep the wattages low. 100W is total overkill unless you're after a super clean sound.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X