No announcement yet.

Peavey XXX. What should I look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't want a combo, just a head. I have 2 4x12 cabs, 1 with Eminence legends and 1 with G12T-100's ("HOT 100"). I'm pretty sure you're right Spivonious and I'm looking for a happy medium. I'll go to GC and see if they have any Jet City amps. Sux that nobody has any XXX, 5150 II, or 6505+'s. Maybe they'll have one of those 6505+ 1x12's I can try. I'm not in a super hurry. My thought is if the 6505+ or 5150 II (want the separate EQ's) sound as good as my bro-in-law's 5150 (60 watt), That's where I'm leaning. They only come in 120 watt right? May be overkill but that's ok..
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

:think: I just checked completed auctions on Ebay - JSX heads sold from a low of $600 to a high of $785. Meh. Good luck, whatever you do.
      I just looked at the completed listings and you're right. But look at what's available now that I have money on the way... And I don't know of any around me to try out either. Sux!!

Comment

Did you check out the bugera heads? The 333xl that is $600 has 3 channels. Great clean channel all the way up to brutal on the lead.

Comment

The 6505+ 112 combo I tried is a 60 watter.

I think the xxx head is 120W only?
          Jackson KV2
          Jackson KE1T
          Jackson KE1F
          Jackson SL1

Comment

Try to find a Peavey ulra+ on ebay that might work for you.It has eq for both channels.
            full and half power switch too.
            120 watts and a killer clean channel.Its what the JSX and XXX were patterned after.
            I got mine for about $250.00 and am real pleased with it so far.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

There's an ultra plus on craigslist by me for $400. I'm very interested to try it out if he responds. $250 does seem like a steal but is $400 fair?

Comment

Got a reply and he has a XXX too. Hopefully I can A-B them and see the difference but I keep reading great things about the Ultra Plus. Nobody says much bad about it.

Comment

yeah a-b em and let us know the verdict.

Comment

Oops, I misunderstood his reply. He had one and sold it. So no A-B'ing. Says he liked the Ultra Plus better. I'm gonna check it out this weekend sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                      Did you check out the bugera heads? The 333xl that is $600 has 3 channels. Great clean channel all the way up to brutal on the lead.
                      The 333xl is their JSX copy, though they do sound a little different. VoiceX3 posted a recent thread reporting on his gig use of the amp and how happy he's been with it.
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                        There's an ultra plus on craigslist by me for $400. I'm very interested to try it out if he responds. $250 does seem like a steal but is $400 fair?
                        $400 is fair, $250 was a steal! A few years ago no one knew about the Ultra and the Ultra Plus but they've been talked about enough on forums like this one that word has gotten around. Hell, you used to be able to get VTMs (a decent JCM800 clone) for $150 all day but they are going for $300 and up consistently now.

If it's clean, and especially if it has the footswitch, $400 is well worth it. Go try it and see. And don't try talkiong the guy down until you are there and have tried the amp. Don't act too excited about the amp, especially if you ARE. Have the $400 on you but see if you can talk him down.
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

+1 the footswitch is not a 1/4 in plug like most You have one button for the ultra and crunch,one for clean and bypass,one for reverb on and off.
                          I love mine its a powerhouse of an amp.
                          The resonance switch has tight,med,and loose settings which change the flavor of the amp quite a bit.
                          I posted a pic so do a search to see and make sure its the ultra + and not one of the other ultras Peavey made.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                            +1 the footswitch is not a 1/4 in plug like most You have one button for the ultra and crunch,one for clean and bypass,one for reverb on and off.
                            I love mine its a powerhouse of an amp.
                            The resonance switch has tight,med,and loose settings which change the flavor of the amp quite a bit.
                            I posted a pic so do a search to see and make sure its the ultra + and not one of the other ultras Peavey made.
                            The other Ultras are still nice amps, the Ultra+ is just the best of the bunch. My everyday amp is actually a Triumph P.A.G. 60-watt 112 combo, which is the predecessor to the Ultras, but of course still has 3 channels with Ultra as the high-gain lead channel. Not as many features as the Ultra or Ultra+ but still a really fun amp to play. And I paid $219 for it! Have had it for 5 years with no issues too, they built them pretty well!
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Went and did some shopping around yesterday and here's my take on what I played.

Sam Ash - played 2 new 333xl's and a new XXX. The 333xl's were ok but not as high gain as I was thinking. Decent all around for the money but not exactly what I'm looking for. The XXX is completely a 1 trick pony. The clean is crap and the other 2 channels seem like they are exactly the same. Super high gain and I see what people mean by buzzy. I'm not sure why they have a gain knob because it does absolutely nothing. Definitely not what I'm looking for.

Guitar center - was hoping to play one of the 6505+ 112's but they didn't have one. Played a new 6505+ halfstack and really wasn't impressed. Not very high gain compared to a 5150 combo. Clean was nicer than I thought it would be but all around not for me. They had a Genz Benz el Diablo 60 for $549 but no power cord and could get anyone to get me one. Also had a VHT pitbull 45 for I think $729 but wasn't near a plug and again, nobody to help (normal for guitar center). May go back and try again to play them. Anyone got opinions on either of those?

Didn't get to check out the Ultra plus yet so we'll see on that one. So far, the best sound I have heard is my Blue Voodoo. So I'll keep looking for now.
                              Last edited by warlok; 02-21-2010, 11:57 PM.

Comment

look for a soldano. i bought my hot rod 50+ for $1200 on ebay. i've had a few 5150's and i've always thought they were better than the xxx.
                                This space for rent

Comment

Working...
                                X