Need help finding a new amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help finding a new amp

I made the plunge today to part with my ENGL Powerball that I've had for just about 6 years. I bought it when it first came out and have been really happy with it for quite some time. I have become a little bored with the tone and am looking for something new. I'm not in the best proximity to good music stores, and would like to have an idea of what to try and find to play. My favorite tones are bands like Arch Enemy, Lamb of God, Machine Head (love their tone on The Blackening), Chimaira, Metallica (Puppets era). So it needs to be able to hit quite a range of tones. I don't need to necessarily nail any one of those tones, but those are just to give you all a general idea of what I'm after. I do need to have a good clean channel, and I'd like something with 3 channels. The Mark V has me intrigued, and I'd like to find an Uberschall to try out, but I'm open to any suggestions you all may have. Thanks in advance.

Don't go to Mike's music in Cinci unless you have a fat wallet.LOL
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

With the range of tones you are looking for a mark v could be the best choice. The uber seems kind of a one trick pony. It's dominant at what it does but isn't thought of as versatile. VHT/Freyette Sig-x may have the kind of tone shaping you are looking for too.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

The Blackening is all 5150...(6505)
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

rm100
          "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Axe-Fx!
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Electric View Post
              I made the plunge today to part with my ENGL Powerball that I've had for just about 6 years. I bought it when it first came out and have been really happy with it for quite some time. I have become a little bored with the tone and am looking for something new. I'm not in the best proximity to good music stores, and would like to have an idea of what to try and find to play. My favorite tones are bands like Arch Enemy, Lamb of God, Machine Head (love their tone on The Blackening), Chimaira, Metallica (Puppets era). So it needs to be able to hit quite a range of tones. I don't need to necessarily nail any one of those tones, but those are just to give you all a general idea of what I'm after. I do need to have a good clean channel, and I'd like something with 3 channels. The Mark V has me intrigued, and I'd like to find an Uberschall to try out, but I'm open to any suggestions you all may have. Thanks in advance.
              I see you are in Dayton. I don't know if you are aware of it but on March 27 there is going to be a Tonefest in Dayton at one of the studios. People from another forum are going to be bringing in all sorts of amps you could go check out in one place before you decide what to buy I'm going to try to make it there, its about a 4 hour drive from me.
              As for the Uber, its a great high gain amp but you wanted 3 channels and clean. The Uber is only 2 channels and its clean channel while decent just can't keep up with the high gain channel as far as gigging volumes are concerned. The newer Twin Jet version of the Uber remedies this a bit but the Revision Blue and older Ubers I think of as one high gain channel and it excels at that
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

I think LOG uses Mesa, not sure on the others.

Try a Roadster or Mark V maybe.
                Jackson KV2
                Jackson KE1T
                Jackson KE1F
                Jackson SL1

Comment

LOG uses Mark Vs.
                  Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                    Axe-Fx!

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
                      I'm planning on going to that Tonefest in Dayton. I will be taking with me my Uberschall and Axe Fx Ultra, among other amps too, so if he wants he can play them/hear them there. In fact I'll probably take at least one Jackson with me so he can even play them through that
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Rudy, lemme know when there's a Tonefest thingie out here!
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Splawn nitro
                          "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
                          Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                            I'm planning on going to that Tonefest in Dayton.
                            Fill me in please

Comment

Was offered a trade for a Splawn Nitro, but am leery to go for the trade having never heard one in person or played through one. I'll definitely have to check out that tonefest though. That sounds like it'll allow me a chance to play through all kinds of stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X