Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
    Fill me in please
    Here is the link to the thread on the other board: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...d.php?t=666868

I'm in NE Ohio and plan to go down there. If you're interested in going Rupe, maybe you can make it out here and we can go together. I'm not sure how far away in PA you are from me but I'm close to the PA border. I have a gig the night before (the 26th) then I'll have to drive down to Dayton on the 27th for the Tonefest.
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by Electric View Post
      Was offered a trade for a Splawn Nitro, but am leery to go for the trade having never heard one in person or played through one. I'll definitely have to check out that tonefest though. That sounds like it'll allow me a chance to play through all kinds of stuff.
      Here are the amps I'll be taking to the Tonefest and you're welcome to try them all out if you like: Bogner Uberschall, Bogner Ecstasy 101B, Marshall Randy Rhoads, Randall RM100, Soldano SLO 100, Mesa Dual Recto, Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 combo, Dr Z. Maz 18 with reverb combo, Dr. Z Nano, Axe Fx Ultra through QSC HPR powered monitors.
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
        Rudy, lemme know when there's a Tonefest thingie out here!
        You got it Ron. Although I would think there is a Tonefest out at Tone Merchants all the time out your way
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
          Here are the amps I'll be taking to the Tonefest and you're welcome to try them all out if you like: Bogner Uberschall, Bogner Ecstasy 101B, Marshall Randy Rhoads, Randall RM100, Soldano SLO 100, Mesa Dual Recto, Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 combo, Dr Z. Maz 18 with reverb combo, Dr. Z Nano, Axe Fx Ultra through QSC HPR powered monitors.
          Why do you have so many shitty amps?

I'd love to try the Dr. Z Maz 18.
          Jackson KV2
          Jackson KE1T
          Jackson KE1F
          Jackson SL1

Comment

Puppets Metallica was Mesa Mark IIC+, I think.

I think you'd be happiest with the Mark V.
            Scott

Comment

I made the plunge today to part with my ENGL Powerball that I've had for just about 6 years. I bought it when it first came out and have been really happy with it for quite some time. I have become a little bored with the tone and am looking for something new.
              Anything particularly wrong with the tone of it?

I guess I'm lazy but the DSL100 has served me well since 1998. I'm more of a Maiden Priest Metallica Megadeth kinda guy.

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                You got it Ron. Although I would think there is a Tonefest out at Tone Merchants all the time out your way
                Which is also the retailer for Axe-Fx!

OK, I gotta get out there one of these days - got invited to a VIP concert thingie recently but it got cancelled at the last minute

I think it was OHM, Chris Poland's fusion band.
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

I guess I'm lazy but the DSL100 has served me well since 1998. I'm more of a Maiden Priest Metallica Megadeth kinda guy.
                  you aren't the only "lazy" one. i have used my same rivera amps since the early 90's....they have served me well over the years and i can't imagine any other amp doing better for me.

i, too, am curious about the "wrongness" of tone with his engl. not that it matters, but i am just curious....
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
                    Why do you have so many shitty amps?

I'd love to try the Dr. Z Maz 18.
                    You caught me, I'm a gear whore They all sound great although at the moment I'm gigging out with my Marshall Rhoads 1/2 stack. That thing just looks majestic in white and every gig a guitarist from the audience comes up to me and says they can't believe they're getting to hear one of these amps and see it firsthand! I've been using it also because most people find it hard to tame a non master volume Marshall but I think I have a handle on it
                    After playing these amps I can't argue with anyone about what the "best" amp is as you could make a case for any of them. The Uberschall still has the most massive gain of the bunch though. BTW, has anyone else here tried a ZVex Nano yet? That thing is a tube head that sits in the palm of your hand and is 1/2W of pure cranked Marshall tone at room volume! Plug it into a 1x12 cab and let 'er rip!
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                      Which is also the retailer for Axe-Fx!

OK, I gotta get out there one of these days - got invited to a VIP concert thingie recently but it got cancelled at the last minute

I think it was OHM, Chris Poland's fusion band.
                      You know you need/want that Axe Fx Ron, go for it Chris Poland would be cool to see. I guess during NAMM Tone Merchants had Guthrie Govan there. That guy is unreal!
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

There's nothing really wrong with the tone, but I want something that has a little more range. The clean tone is ok, but sounds kind of sterile in certain situations, and the crunch channel is pretty lacking. Channels 3 and 4 are great but they really aren't that different. The tones that I get out of it I like, but I guess more range is my goal, without sacrificing the aspects that I do like in the ENGL. On specs alone, the Mark V seems like the perfect choice, but I need to play it to see if it can replace the high gain I get out of the ENGL. I know it's clean and crunch will most likely blow the ENGL's away.

Comment

I've been listening to clips of the Axe FX and it has my interest. I've never really done the whole rack setup before. I would need to buy a separate power amp to run it through my 4x12, right? What are some recommendations are far as power amps are concerned?

Comment

I've been listening to clips of the Axe FX and it has my interest. I've never really done the whole rack setup before. I would need to buy a separate power amp to run it through my 4x12, right? What are some recommendations are far as power amps are concerned?
                            Many are happy with solid state power amps such as a Carvin. I tried mine through my Mesa 2:90 and Mesa 4x12 cab when I first got it. But I ended up going with a powered QSC HPR series monitor and that sounds much better to me. If you get an Axe Fx I would suggest going with a powered monitor like the QSC or, as others are doing, the Verve. In fact I ended up picking up another QSC monitor so I can run it in stereo
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Don't want a one-trick pony you'll sell soon enough
                              best bet is go with Mesa V, Bogner, Randall or the wizards: Axe or Eleven
                              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                              X