Original Mesa Stiletto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Mesa Stiletto

See if I can get a heads up on this amp, Thinking about trading my 212 carvin v3 plus some cash for it. Anyone have any problems with theres? Doesn't have all the gain my v3 has but I can't get out of my head. One thing is my v3 has so many tone options and I've been happy with it but I think I'm iching for a change.:think:

Originally posted by rattlehead74 View Post
    See if I can get a heads up on this amp, Thinking about trading my 212 carvin v3 plus some cash for it. Anyone have any problems with theres? Doesn't have all the gain my v3 has but I can't get out of my head. One thing is my v3 has so many tone options and I've been happy with it but I think I'm iching for a change.:think:
    A friend of mine who is actually a tech bought a Trident which is the same amp basically. He got it new and then Mesa came out with a mod for the Stilletto/Trident to increase the gain. I think it was called the Hollywood Mod or something. Since he is an authorized Mesa repair facility he got the parts from them and did the mod. We both agreed that even though it had a bit more gain than before it didn't really sound any better, it was muddier. So he reversed the mod and put it back to stock. Still has that amp and never had any issues with it as far as reliability is concerned. He was in a cover band for a while and depending on the song he used a pedal through the front of it for added gain, a Marshall Gov'ner. Hope that helps.
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Yeah I was thinking of picking up a tube screamer to go along with it, but to be honest I'm no really a gain freak any more. I usually back the gain down for a tight sound. I'm going to go play it one more time before I choose to get it. Thanks for your input.

Comment

I had one several years ago and loved it...it did the hot-rodded Marshall thing as well as most of the boutique amps that I've tried (with the Mako Custom Hundred being the only one that I felt truly trumped it). Although I never had any issues, I traded it to Sambencuda who then sent it off to JGCable (both from this forum), who in turn had issues with it.

A Mesa dealer I know said that he's seen nearly half of the amps that he's sold in recent years come back for service...not cool. Even worse is that when one customer's amp went (Triple Rec), it took the power tubes with it. Since the tubes aren't what "failed", Mesa refused to cover them, even though they cost more than the faulty part that caused the issue. I'm done with any new Mesas until they correct their QC issues. Actually, with the Axe-FX, I'm most likely done with Mesa period.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
          I had one several years ago and loved it...it did the hot-rodded Marshall thing as well as most of the boutique amps that I've tried (with the Mako Custom Hundred being the only one that I felt truly trumped it). Although I never had any issues, I traded it to Sambencuda who then sent it off to JGCable (both from this forum), who in turn had issues with it.

A Mesa dealer I know said that he's seen nearly half of the amps that he's sold in recent years come back for service...not cool. Even worse is that when one customer's amp went (Triple Rec), it took the power tubes with it. Since the tubes aren't what "failed", Mesa refused to cover them, even though they cost more than the faulty part that caused the issue. I'm done with any new Mesas until they correct their QC issues. Actually, with the Axe-FX, I'm most likely done with Mesa period.
          Hmm, thats interesting to hear. From what I understand Mesa's customer service is supposed to be tops. I've had a Mesa Dual Recto since 2001 which I bought new. Only issue it ever had is a bad cap about 4 years ago which was easily replaced locally. I've had friends of mine borrow it to record with and Remcarr from this forum has borrowed it to play out live while his was getting re-tubed.
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Love my Series 1 Duece. Plenty of gain for all but the heaviest stuff (MXR fullbore takes care of that!). The Duece really like having the front end slammed, so a good clean boost is recommended.

Bought mine new - zero issues.
            750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
            Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Great amp. I had issues with mine because of UPS shipping damage. Once I got it all sorted out it was an excellent amp. Its a very dominating amp in a live mix.
              VERY different from a V3. Much louder, much more presence and not as much gain.
              The V3 is a fine amp.
              The Randall RM100 is even finer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post

I've only personally owned one Mesa amp, a Duel Rec that I bought new back in 2000. That amp really disappointed me... It had quality problems almost immediately... Kept breaking down, and even though I had it serviced by a Mesa repair tech, it was never really "right". I wanted to like it, but that amp left a bad taste in my mouth, and I sold it after a year or so. Most guys I know that play Mesa amps swear by them, so maybe I got a rare lemon of the bunch, but who knows?

Comment

I just love Mesa boogie. loud and with lots of tone even with the gain put on high.
                  A boost in front of it makes it growl just a little bit tighter. go mesa!

Comment

had one, loved it, traded it for a Marshall, even happier now.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

The Stiletto is a Mesa that thinks its a Marshall. It does a nice job of it too.

Comment

Just scored a stage II duece. Thing FUCKIN rips!

Comment

Originally posted by broken_fusion View Post
                          Just scored a stage II duece. Thing FUCKIN rips!
                          I know, they are my fave amps.. I bought one 2 year ago and havnt had a prob with it, Stilettos have that British Metal thing goin on, which is perfect for me as I am in a British Trad metal band.
                          ..(Maiden, Priest etc) I recently bought a Suhr Shiba Drive and tried it in front of the tight gain setting on channel 2 . . Jesus!!!! I think I found the holy grail of metal sounds.

Congrats mate.. you should be very happy.. I know I am

Pete.
                          www.vendetta-theband.com
                          www.vendetta-theband.com
                          www.atomhawk.com

Comment

I've played on a stage 2 and a stage 1 with the fluid drive mod. I really liked the newer stage 2, but the stage 1 with the mod was like something stuck between the stages and wasn't too impressed myself.
                            Jackson USA guitars
                            BC Rich guitars

Diezel Herbert
                            Diezel VH4
                            Framus Cobra
                            VHT UL
                            Mesa Rectifiers rev C, F, triple F
                            Mesa MK3
                            Bogner rev 2 Uber

Comment

Quick question about your V3, can you play thick high gain at live levels with some good bass without rattling the whole amp making it sound wonky?
                              I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Working...
                              X