headphone rig questions...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headphone rig questions...?

so, like many of you, i sometimes iritate the neighbors with the volume. so i am wondering what are some good headphone set-ups or headphone amps etc. no matter what i try, i just dont get nearly the same sound from my spider III practice amp and headphones. i never played a higher end line6 amp before - are they better than the 15w ones? but i dont care for my crate 120w twin at super low volume either. nor does my crate have a headphone input. if i invest the money, will i escape the poor sound quality and terrible low end response i seem to be getting from $60 sony studio headphones? and i like it loud - they're my ears for cripes sakes. what about amp modeling software? should i just dive in and start soundproofing? i'd like to solve this problem for $100 or less...
    ...I will secretly play a Les Paul when nobody is looking...

WTB really badly...Dean Custom 450 w emg's...

DXMG
    SL3
    LTD M200fm

I think the Pocket Pod sounds decent for the $ through Koss Porta Pros.

Comment

I use:

- Direct Sound Extreme Isolation (XP 29 I think) headphones
      - Pocket POD
      - POD X3
      - Line 6 Jam Looper

You'll never "feel" the sound through headphones because there's no sound waves hitting you. So it takes some adjustment - BUT - if you've ever spent any time in a recording studio punching in solos - that's how you do it.

As far as "sounding" the same - I think these stand alone modelers sound pretty good. You will need to tweak the settings (EQ) to the headphones you're using to adjust the frequency response - which will typically not be the same as when you play the same modeler though an amp. That's just par for the course.

Also remember, when your ears are hit by a loud noise - like from an amp - they roll off the highs and the lows - so you hear more midrange.

As far as playing loud through headphones - go ask Paul Gilbert if that's a good idea. Be cautious, my friend.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Playing through headphones blows. The guitar gets no feedback vibration from the speaker, and the sustain will suck. It's OK for rhythm guitar, but it totally sucks trying to play lead.

But, I do it, because I can't always be cranking my amp up and jamming out like I'd like.

The trick to getting a decent sound, is going to be the headphones. Don't take this as a slam, but $60 Sony headphones are not "studio" headphones. I have a few pairs of "high quality" Sony headphones of various vintage and the flat-out blow compared to nice studio monitor headphones.

I use AKG K240's, around $200 new, bought from a buddy cheap with a broken jack I repaired and hooked up to a Korg PX4D, it doesn't sound too bad. I tried it with my "other" headphones (several pairs, most of which sound great for music) and it was awful.

You could buy some from Guitar Center and return them if you like them, and buy an old pair off Ebay or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
          You'll never "feel" the sound through headphones because there's no sound waves hitting you. So it takes some adjustment - BUT - if you've ever spent any time in a recording studio punching in solos - that's how you do it.
          The amp is still there, at least when I do it. The headphones are so I can hear myself and what I'm playing along with, the amp is still there and cranked up so I can get some sustain.

Comment

I have a korg pandora px5d that I use as a practice amp with headphones. Comes in very handy after the baby is put down in a small apartment size house. It has good guitar and bass sounds plus has a decent built in quasi drum machine with bass tracks and also a phrase trainer. It runs off batteries, a wall wart, or can be usb powered. It's about the size of a large wallet, hands down the best practice aid I have ever had.

Comment

Ditch the Sony's... they suck.

I use my GT-8 through AKG K-142 headphones.

Not top of the line, but not cheap either.
              The sound is pretty damn good.

My 7 year old daughter sleeps in the next room, so no amps when practicing at night.
              -Rick

Comment

I have a Line-6 toneport on my PC running through a mixing board so I can use the headphones out from the mixing board. I also have a pocket pod and an older Pandora PX4 that I use with the headphones as well.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

What I'm going to suggest is not a headphone amp but if you want cranked Marshall stack tone at room volume check out the ZVex Nano amp It fits in the palm of your hand, is a tube head, and only 1/2W. I have one that I plug into a 1x12 cab and it rips!
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

I run a Randall RM4 with Rocktron Intellifex thru the cabsims of a Rocktron Piranha going into a Fostex VF-08
                    and from there to a Bestbuy-equivalent stereo mixer, using low end cables
                    and rca adapters with a cheapass headphones

So nothing really hi-fi but works great as bedroom/recording rig
                    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I dig my Boss Micro BR for headphones practicing. I can jam along MP3s. I can record myself on 4 tracks.I has a metronome and built-in drum loops. Not the perfect "tone" but does a fine job. Check my soundclick page below for a few Micro BR recordings.
                      JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                      Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Working...
                      X