• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCM 2000 Marshall DSL

Otay guyz, I need your knowledge again! See'in as to how I haven't
    played any in over 10 yrs. I don't like hauling my old Mesa MKII around
    because it's a little old, "like me." Breakage would not be good! At 53
    I'm still rockin', but an utter dumbarse as far as new equipment goes....

I found this little JCM 2000 combo DSL 401 Dual Super Lead. It has plenty
    of balls for what I'll use it for and could prolly play a show with it if it were
    miked and ran through a P.A. Can anyone gimme any info on this little
    Marshall DSL. I'm still looking on the net for info and thought of youse guyz.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...

Thx in advance, Rat

I've got a JCM2000 TSL60 head which I love. I don't gig so I couldn't vouch for the ruggedness. I believe the amp is the same except for the addition of the third channel on mine. Great amp distortion at bedroom volume or "the wife and kids are gone for the day" volume. I use no pedals or effects and really like the distorted tones at any volume - of course it gets sweeter as the volume increases.
    Clean tones - what are those? It's a Marshall!!!!

Comment

I've got a JCM2000 DSL head which I've played and gigged extensively for over 10 years. It' blew up recently but it's had a pretty hard life, I reckon a long gig where it got very hot killed it off.

Having said that they're great amps and full of the Marshall tone. Pretty cheap too, compared to some of the competition, but not exactly versatile as someone else said. That combo should sound fine mic'd up.

Whilst it's being fixed, I've got an Engl (Screamer) combo which is a really great sounding amp and way more versatile than the Marshall, but hadn't quite got that Marshall sound. For gigs I tend to run it thru a Marshall 4x12 rather than the internal speaker.

Comment

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think these combos had issues with getting too hot. I believe you can mount a 'muffin' fan to keep it cool though...

Pat

Comment

Enough of the DSL - let's hear some more about that Mk II!!!
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

I STRONGLY dislike that particular amp. It only sounded good to me through a closed back cab. Kinda defeats the purpose of what you're looking for.

Find a JVM. Now that's an amp!!

Comment

I don't like combo Marshalls too much and those have a bad rap because of the mentioned overheating problems. A muffin fan might do.

I love my 1998 DSL100 1/2 stack. It's been going strong for 12 years now.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                Enough of the DSL - let's hear some more about that Mk II!!!
                Welp, G.T. it's a late 70's or early 80's IIc. I tried to put a pic in my
                sig. Dunno if I got it there or not. Maybe I need to run it in a compatibility
                mode. Now I've just gone back and made it my avatar. The Mesas been with
                me longer than anything else, and everybody has seen a model 1 Charvell...
                Last edited by rat; 02-23-2010, 12:12 PM. Reason: left out info

Comment

Nice - I see it in your avatar. Dig it. I've got a IIA myself. Righteous amps, these Boogies.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                  X