Line 6 Spider IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 Spider IV

Does anyone have one of these? I'm thinking about either the 120 watt or 150. I have a marshall g80rcd that just isn't doing it for me. I Run a POD xt live through the marshall, but I find the pod difficult and time consuming to dial in a tone. Looking for something that is basically plug and play with decent metal tones and doesn't cost a whole lot. I play mostly Metallica, Lamb of God, Opeth type stuff. I see the Spider 4 has a bunch of presets made by some of the artists that I would like to emulate. Mick Thomson, Meshuggah, etc.... Just wondering if some people have some feedback. Thanks ..

I have a Spider III 15 watt at home. i LOVE it for late night ultra low volume playing/practising/learning songs. But that's where its usefulness ends. Turn it up just a little and it sounds like crap. I even tried hooking it up to decent closed back cab with celestion vintage 30's and still it sounded like crap.

I'm not sure how big an improvement the IV will be over the III. I had tried a couple of II's and the III's were not that much better. Good luck!

Someone on this forum had rave reviews about the new Peavey Vypyr amps. Have you tried them?
    Sam

Comment

From the little time I spent with the iv I think it was the 75 watt one it sounded much better than the previous spiders imo...

And that was without spending any time tweaking or adjusting the settings much...

For a practise amp it's probably better than that marshall...

But there are other amps digital and tube in similar price ranges that probably out do it a flextone could probably be picked up for cheaper used and out do the spiders...

They do seem to have a volume cap where once they reach a certain volume they dont sound that great, but i've seena fair few spiders being used live and they sounded ok...

Comment

The other guitarist in my old band used a Spider III 75. It sounded okay, but definitely took a lot of tweaking to get it to sit well in a band situation.

The Spider series is essentially the POD 2.0 with a power amp attached. So if you didn't like the POD, you probably won't like the Spider.

If you're looking for modeling amps, I'd check out Vox's Valvetronix and Crate's Vypyr series before looking at Line 6.
        Scott

Comment

Well, If youre talking about the 120/150 watt then youre talking about the one with the tubes. The tube versions are WAY different than the solidstate ones. I have the Line6 HD100 head hooked up to a 1960a marshall cab and it sounds amazing. Sounds good at bedroom levels and even better at louder levels. The Solid state versions are crap. But the ones with tubes sound so much better. My soloist screams on this amp and it comes with a built-in noisegate which is another plus.

NOTE:I have the SpiderValve Mk I. I hear that the spidervalve Mk II sounds better plus its got more features and different amp tones so overall you cant miss with the line6 in terms of value.
          Last edited by Acesofbelkan; 02-24-2010, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Acesofbelkan View Post
            Well, If youre talking about the 120/150 watt then youre talking about the one with the tubes. The tube versions are WAY different than the solidstate ones. I have the Line6 HD100 head hooked up to a 1960a marshall cab and it sounds amazing. Sounds good at bedroom levels and even better at louder levels. The Solid state versions are crap. But the ones with tubes sound so much better. My soloist screams on this amp and it comes with a built-in noisegate which is another plus.

NOTE:I have the SpiderValve Mk I. I hear that the spidervalve Mk II sounds better plus its got more features and different amp tones so overall you cant miss with the line6 in terms of value.
            BUUUZZZZZZZZ! Wrong answer. Yes, the 120 is the spider valve, which is a completely diffrent monster....but the spider iv 150 is indeed the solid state amp. These can sound good alone or recording, and with a LOT of tweaking can sound ok in a live band situation if it's the only guitar.... But the sound absolutely does not cut thru the mix. Do yourself a huge favor and try out some of the cheaper tube amps out there. (seems to be more and more each NAMM show) While you might be happy with the spider for a little while it will leave you wanting something more "alive" in the long run.
            Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

oops got the watts mixed up. I was talking about the MkII models.

Comment

Originally posted by VoiceX3 View Post
                BUUUZZZZZZZZ! Wrong answer. Yes, the 120 is the spider valve, which is a completely diffrent monster....but the spider iv 150 is indeed the solid state amp. These can sound good alone or recording, and with a LOT of tweaking can sound ok in a live band situation if it's the only guitar.... But the sound absolutely does not cut thru the mix. Do yourself a huge favor and try out some of the cheaper tube amps out there. (seems to be more and more each NAMM show) While you might be happy with the spider for a little while it will leave you wanting something more "alive" in the long run.
                Still the wrong answer spider valve is 40 watts for the combos, 100 for the head.

Agreed on the spider 4.. played both combos and didnt like either.
                Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Acesofbelkan View Post
                  oops got the watts mixed up. I was talking about the MkII models.
                  The Spider IV 120 is a 60w per channel stereo 2x10 combo. The Spider IV 150 is a 75w per channel stereo head. Both are solid state and not to be confused with the Spider Valve amps you're thinking of.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I have a spider III and I have spent more hours than I can remember tweeking it to get it to sound decent. The low end is terrible and the metal and insane channels have a horrible hissing scooped mids sounding distortion that never goes away no matter how much mid and treble I add. I tried a 75w spider IV at guitar center and it sounded almost identical.

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                      The Spider IV 120 is a 60w per channel stereo 2x10 combo. The Spider IV 150 is a 75w per channel stereo head. Both are solid state and not to be confused with the Spider Valve amps you're thinking of.
                      Yeah, I think I corrected myself earlier.
                      Here's the one Im speaking about Just incase anyone else gets confused with Line6's naming scheme: http://line6.com/spidervalvemkii/

Comment

The MkII looks interesting. The distortion and effects are still all digital, and I assume at the Spider level (as opposed to the Flextone or Vetta level). It has a tube power amp and two 12AX7s, presumably for the phase inverter and an input buffer.
                        Scott

Comment

Every time I've gone to try them out at guitar center they don't work.

Comment

Working...
                          X