Amp Sound descriptions-British- California ETC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Sound descriptions-British- California ETC

Obvioulsy the British would be MArshall and Laney, but what is considered a California type sound. Is that Where Mesa falls in, and what is the difference in sound in Marshall vs. A Mesa?

I know I saw a Creed Concert the other day and saw some kinda Mesa in Tremontis Rig, however his sounds was atroshish!
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

It wasn't Tremonti's sound that was "atroshish." It was Creed in general.
    |My CSG gallery|
    (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Originally posted by m2pmd70 View Post
      It wasn't Tremonti's sound that was "atroshish." It was Creed in general.
      For an example of a good Mesa sound I'd listen to Petrucci not Tremonti
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

I think of Metallica for a Mesa sound. Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Riffmeister View Post
          Obvioulsy the British would be MArshall and Laney, but what is considered a California type sound. Is that Where Mesa falls in, and what is the difference in sound in Marshall vs. A Mesa?

I know I saw a Creed Concert the other day and saw some kinda Mesa in Tremontis Rig, however his sounds was atroshish!
          British is more upper mids, brighter.

US is more lower mids, darker. Peavey 5150 and friends should fit in here too.

Comment

"British" is typically used to describe Marshall and Vox.

"California" is typically broken up into Fende tweed, Fender blackface and Mesa rectifier.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

yeah, i tend to think of british as EL tube based tones, and california as being 6L6 tube based.
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Marshalls seem to cut through much better and seem to have much more presence than the newer amps...Mesas in particular, imo.

Psychoacoustics?

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                  yeah, i tend to think of british as EL tube based tones, and california as being 6L6 tube based.
                  Me too.
                  Scott

Comment

When i think "california", I think: The beach boys, Country with a tremolo
                    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

British = Judas Priest

Does "California" include the LA metal scene from the 80s?
                      Jackson KV2
                      Jackson KE1T
                      Jackson KE1F
                      Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
                        British = Judas Priest

Does "California" include the LA metal scene from the 80s?
                        no, california is not a genre of music, it is a namesake for the tube amps that were designed there in the 50's - 60's, and the hot rodded variants (mesa)...again, 6L6 based amps.
                        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

isn't the California sound Steely Dan & The Eagles?
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Steely Dan has more of a NYC sound Lively feel, open miking, balanced mix etc.
                            When I think of Cali sound, I think of The Beach Boys or Michael Jackson
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

you should also take into consideration cabinet sound as well as speaker sound. closed back verses open back and speaker choice both make a huge difference in your tone.
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                              X