Cabinet differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinet differences?

Simple question, I hope you guys can answer for me.

Is there a difference in sound output, from smaller or larger cabinets? I'm going deaf playing a 4x12 cab. in my small guitar room, and am wondering if I'd be better off with a 2x12 cabinet, instead?

I guess I'm wondering if my perceived volume level will be lower through less speakers, at the same volume level on the amp?

Oh yeah, I'm old, I'm playing a Jackson, and I'm playing metal.

i've noticed that the precieved volume seems lower when using multiple cabinets. like more sound at less volume.

but different cabinet configurations, speakers, and construction will all affect the tone.

also less speakers seem louder and more focused. the more speakers you have the more power you're drawing from the same source. so the less speakers you have the more power there is to draw.

something like that anyway.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Volume from the 2z12 vs. 4x12 shouldn't be all that different. THe 4x12 will just sound fuller and with more bass.
      Jackson USA guitars
      BC Rich guitars

Diezel Herbert
      Diezel VH4
      Framus Cobra
      VHT UL
      Mesa Rectifiers rev C, F, triple F
      Mesa MK3
      Bogner rev 2 Uber

Comment

Thanks guys, I was hoping I could play at a lower volume, by using less speakers, but maintaining the same tone.

Maybe I should just get a better cabinet? My old $200.00 Behringer 4x12 might need be the cause of my craptastic sound!

Comment

Speakers function by moving air, that being said, a 412 cab is going to move the same amount of air as a 212 at the same volume. A single speaker in the 412 will not be moving as much air as a single speaker in the 212 because the power, lets say 100w is dived by 4 instead of 2. So, there will actually be a percieved lower volume to a 412 as opposed to the 212.
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I could be wrong, But I swear to God, when I'm plugged to a 2x12 there is much less output than my 4x12, with both my Rec, and Marshall 1x12 combo, and the combo gets MUCH louder when plugged into the 4x12

Wasn't that the point of doing a full stack over a half stack, its Much louder because you are moving much more air with 8 12's over 4... thats what my sound guy tells me anyway, like I said, I could be wrong, but it definitely sounds louder to my ears, and Definitely 'feels' louder, you feel the chuging pushing against you with a full stack, less so with a half, and really not at all with a 2x12 or 1x12 combo...
            Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
              Speakers function by moving air, that being said, a 412 cab is going to move the same amount of air as a 212 at the same volume. A single speaker in the 412 will not be moving as much air as a single speaker in the 212 because the power, lets say 100w is dived by 4 instead of 2. So, there will actually be a percieved lower volume to a 412 as opposed to the 212.
              It really has nothing to do with watts, as you have to DOUBLE your watts to gain only 3db, thats really nothing.

and its total air moved that counts, not air per speaker... plug in a 2x12, then compair it to a full stack, It is MUCH MUCH louder. to my ears it is anyhow.

Maybe It's the increased bass response thats tricking me, the full stack does rattle the rafters in the practice space.
              Last edited by Gibsonmac; 03-03-2010, 05:47 PM.

Comment

It's the improved output ability with a 412 that makes it seem louder than a 212. You have more bass and a bigger, fuller sound with a 412 cab, that is why we all use half or full stacks because they sound bigger and better. If you had a decibel reader there would probably be little difference between a 212 and 412 with the same head at the same power level.
                Jackson USA guitars
                BC Rich guitars

Diezel Herbert
                Diezel VH4
                Framus Cobra
                VHT UL
                Mesa Rectifiers rev C, F, triple F
                Mesa MK3
                Bogner rev 2 Uber

Comment

I use a VHT 2x12 on top of a Bogner 4x12 with my Bogner Triple Giant, I guess it's a 3/4 stack, but i think the 2x12 gets the sound out a little more, and the 4x12 rounds out the bottom end... I think the combination sounds great, just personal preference... Mesa 2x12's sound pretty good....just like pickups, combos are endless.......
                  It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel....

Comment

Originally posted by darnoc View Post
                    I use a VHT 2x12 on top of a Bogner 4x12

i think the 2x12 gets the sound out a little more, and the 4x12 rounds out the bottom end
                    Your getting more highs from the 2x12 since it's closer/better aimed at your ears
                    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

eh, i disagree about the 4x12 thing. i use 2x10, 1x12 and 2x12 cabs, half or open back, and i get a better sense of the sound filling the room than when i used to use 4x12 cabs. i get more than enough bass and the sound is WAY more focused.

in fact, my least favorite cab is my mesa recto vertical 2x12. i cut the back in half and it sounds better, but the vintage 30 speakers are not very good at delivering a satisfying tone by themselves.

my home (and gig, for that matter) cabs of choice are my rivera 1x12 cabs. the evm12L speakers are VERY efficient and deliver a tremendously tight, focused sound at any volume level. very "woody" and thick sounding.

i also have a rivera 2x10 cab with ev 10's that sounds pretty amazing at home and in the studio. again, plenty of bass and a very focused sound. my amp does not seem as "loud" as when playing through a single 1x12 cab, but that's ok.
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

don't your 10's sound really bright, I've never liked 10's for that reason... though I guess it could be I haven't played the right 10 cab yet, probly be good for clean like a 2x10/12 combo thing might be cool

Comment

nah, the ev speakers are a bit dark, as is the way i set my amp tones. i tend to use the 2x10 with an old fender amp, but occassionally use it with one of my rivera heads.

i try really hard to stay away from low wattage speakers that have eq-curves that sweep toward the high-end. if i used celestion 10's, then yeah, the sound is bright. that was my issue with the marshall 4x10 cabs i used before. too brittle. having the open back cab helps A LOT, also.
                          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

makes sense, yep I played the marshall 4x10 cab... super brittle

Comment

Isn't a full stack going to SOUND louder due to the fact that it is right at ear level?

I have only ever played with a half stack, but I can say that the volume SEEMS t odrop if I were to move say 4 feet to either side of it.

I just started a thread about using my 50 watt 1x 12 combo for the first time and it was nowhere near as loud as my 50 watt head through my 4x12
                              Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Working...
                              X