No announcement yet.

Good Overdrive Pedals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

www.effectspedalboutique.com Talk to Dave Wireman.

You won't find a better pedal period.
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
      there is also the school of thought that you should have an EQ up front and in the loop. usually this leads to a rack system. then a midi switching system for said rack...
      Not a consideration with an amp like a Marshall Rhoads or any other old school Marshall for that matter. These amps have no loop, no midi, no second channel. Everything goes through the front end and thats that
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
        I have been using a Cusack Screamer for a while now and really like it. Very 'clean' boost with a lot of gain.
        +1 on the Cusack Screamer!, I've owned one for quite a while but have not used it in favor of either a Keeley modded TS-808 or Analogman Silvermod TS-9. Out of curiosity I pulled it out the other day and put it up against the modded pedals and I have to tell you, I was blown away at how good it sounded next to them! I've found that the real key to make this pedal come alive is that you must turn the "overdrive" knob up some. I've almost always just turn the "tone" knob on 10 and the "output" knob anywhere from about 1:00 o'clock to full on any of my overdrive pedals and just leave the od knob on "0" but the Cusack sounds way better if you crank the "od" knob up some along with the tone and output.

Comment

I've never been a fan of running an OD pedal through the clean channel of an amp. We spend so much time and money looking for the right amp to get that tone we're searching for, it doesn't make sense to me to then stick a pedal in front of it, and rely on that to get where you want to go. Having said that, I do like to use an OD pedal as a boost, to tighten things up depending on what I'm playing. I just use an old beat up SD-1. It does the job perfectly well.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Ibanez Tube Screamer
            Hardwire OD
            or the one i use cmatmods Tube Slammer- think modded 808 with some more gain however it is not a high gain pedal.
            www.cmatmods.com

this guys make awesome stuff and it is more reasonably priced
            2011 USA Jackson Soloist
            2007 USA Jackson Soloist
            2007 USA BC Rich Warlock
            2009 Edwards ECY 165
            2009 Schecter Hellraiser
            2006 USA BC Rich Wave
            2012 Gibson LP Trad
            1981 USA BC Rich Mockingbird

Comment

After reading the opinions here and watching/listening to a ton of demos on the net, I pulled the trigger on a Fulltone OCD (third version). Just got it in the mail today. Can't wait to try it with my various amps at practice tomorrow. Thanks everyone!

Comment

I bet you'll like the fulltone. I've never seen anyone say they used one and didn't like it.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

anybidy used an MXR Wylde overdrive?
                  been thinking of buying one.

Comment

Originally posted by skintaster View Post
                    After reading the opinions here and watching/listening to a ton of demos on the net, I pulled the trigger on a Fulltone OCD (third version). Just got it in the mail today. Can't wait to try it with my various amps at practice tomorrow. Thanks everyone!
                    I like the OCD enough that I have at various times bought different versions of it off E-Bay or forums. I have versions 1, 2, and the first OCD I bought new was a version 3. What amps are you going to try it through?
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                      I like the OCD enough that I have at various times bought different versions of it off E-Bay or forums. I have versions 1, 2, and the first OCD I bought new was a version 3. What amps are you going to try it through?
                      I got the version 3 from a guy on Ebay. So far I've only used it with my Egnator Rebel 20, and it friggin rocks! Just made that amp sing! And if I want to, it can now go into serious high gain territory. Very cool. I was going to use it as a boost in front of my 5150, but alas, the Peavey is suffering from some kind of tube malady, so that'll have to wait.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with the OCD.

Comment

I got the version 3 from a guy on Ebay. So far I've only used it with my Egnator Rebel 20, and it friggin rocks! Just made that amp sing! And if I want to, it can now go into serious high gain territory. Very cool. I was going to use it as a boost in front of my 5150, but alas, the Peavey is suffering from some kind of tube malady, so that'll have to wait.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with the OCD.
                        Great to hear that. The OCD has a few different ways to run it depending on whether you prefer the gain up and level down or if you set it the other way around. I can tell you with Marshalls its awesome! I use that pedal most of the time with my Randy Rhoads Marshall amp live. Also depending on how its set I was able to get a pretty good EVH Brown sound when combined with a little reverb from my Guyatone reverb pedal. The Guyatone reverb is no longer made unfortunately but I keep my eyes open for them on E-Bay and the forums I'm on. Its a sleeper pedal
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                          Great to hear that. The OCD has a few different ways to run it depending on whether you prefer the gain up and level down or if you set it the other way around. I can tell you with Marshalls its awesome! I use that pedal most of the time with my Randy Rhoads Marshall amp live. Also depending on how its set I was able to get a pretty good EVH Brown sound when combined with a little reverb from my Guyatone reverb pedal. The Guyatone reverb is no longer made unfortunately but I keep my eyes open for them on E-Bay and the forums I'm on. Its a sleeper pedal
                          I'll have to keep an eye out for the Guyatone reverb. I have another friend that also loves his!

Comment

I'll have to keep an eye out for the Guyatone reverb. I have another friend that also loves his!
                            There are other good ones out there like the T-Rex Room Mate or the Dr. Scientist Radical Reverberator but those other two are expensive and the Radical Reverberator is always backordered and in high demand. The Guyatone is under $150 used and would be much cheaper if it were still in production. Unfortunately you have to look to the used market to find one.
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                            X