Peavey 6505+ 112 vs Marshall DSL 401

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 6505+ 112 vs Marshall DSL 401

I want a new high gain metal amp capable of brutal distortion to play death,black,thrash metal etc on. Which one of these would be better. I can't go higher than £500. Which one is more brutal, but dynamic and warm at the same time? Engl amps also interest me, but out of my current price range, considering how many things I have GAS for...

The DSL is gonna be FUCKING OUTSTANDING, I love that amp, absolutely love it... Consider also a Mesa Rectifier, they only make single rec combos now, but you can find old dual rec combos on the bay and shit...

with the mesa's you can run either 6l6's or EL34's and you can change your tubes yourself without rebiasing cause it has fixed bias...

but out of your choices, the Marshall is going to be MUCH warmer and dynamic and very brutal... and by the way, get a $100 MXR 10-band EQ through the loop, and you'll get crushing tone beyond ENGL, Also the Marshall has great cleans
    Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Comment

Marshall amp is pretty sweet but if your playing metal the 6505 is the way to go. They sound even more brutal as a combo. Thick & tight low end with plenty of attack. I've owned both & they are totaly different monsters. If you go with the marshall I would recomend KT77 power tubes in it and you can bias it yourself on rear panel, to me it took away some of the sag. I hardly used the lead channel of the 6505, the channel 1 with the gain cranked was plenty enough for me. Good luck. Can't go wrong with Boogie but you really have to crank it the get the fizz gone.

Comment

I don't really consider Marshall having a brutal tone. Maybe check out the bugera 333xl combo, that should be in your price range I think(unlike other suggestions that disreguard your price limit).

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
          I don't really consider Marshall having a brutal tone. Maybe check out the bugera 333xl combo, that should be in your price range I think(unlike other suggestions that disreguard your price limit).
          Just made suggestion to the question he asked about the 6505 vs Marshall. Didn't pay attention of how much he had to spend.
          Last edited by rattlehead74; 03-04-2010, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsonmac View Post
            with the mesa's you can run either 6l6's or EL34's and you can change your tubes yourself without rebiasing cause it has fixed bias...
            Only if you use the same exact power rating of Mesa tubes.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
              I don't really consider Marshall having a brutal tone.
              Tell that to Matt Heafy... Uses a DSL
              Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Comment

Tell that to Matt Heafy... Uses a DSL
                He goes through a lot of gear and has used mesa and peavey a lot more and he uses a overdrive pedal too(not enough from amp??). I also don't consider Trivium having a Brutal sound, just heavy.

Comment

I love my DSL100 1/2 stack, but I would stay far away from the 401 combo. In fact, I hate all combos for metal, unless they have a sealed cab like my Laney AOR 50.

Comment

The DSL 401 combo sucks for metal, now a DSL head would be more up your alley. But I think you should take Richs advice and hit up a Bugera or just get the 6505 combo. I have an original 5150 head that has more than enough gain and it is fucking intense. And doesn't the other guitar player from Trivium Corey Beaulieu use 6505 plus heads?
                    Last edited by bucketbrian45; 03-08-2010, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bucketbrian45 View Post
                      The DSL 401 combo sucks for metal, now a DSL head would be more up your alley. But I think you should take Richs advice and hit up a Bugera or just get the 6505 combo. I have an original 5150 head that has more gain than enough gain and it is fucking intense. And doesn't the other guitar player from Trivium Corey Beaulieu use 6505 plus heads?
                      IMO using the DSL for metal would only be good for trying to get a Megadeth or early Metallica sound. I guess it depends on what kind of metal he's playing but I think the 6505 is what he would be looking for. You can get almost any metal sound of it and handles drop tuning very well.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        I love my DSL100 1/2 stack, but I would stay far away from the 401 combo. In fact, I hate all combos for metal, unless they have a sealed cab like my Laney AOR 50.
                        The 6505 / 5150 has a sealed cab.

Comment

Originally posted by rattlehead74 View Post
                          IMO using the DSL for metal would only be good for trying to get a Megadeth or early Metallica sound. I guess it depends on what kind of metal he's playing but I think the 6505 is what he would be looking for. You can get almost any metal sound of it and handles drop tuning very well.
                          Yea the 5150 I have sounds amazing with the standard D tuning and next week I get a 7 string can't wait to see how the amp handles it. I don't really like JCM2000s too much, the gain on the 5150 is the only straight up amp distortion I have ever been happy with but I've never tried a Diesel or Soldano amp. Yea I just completely re wrote my post lol. I am a little high and kinda miss read yours lol.
                          Last edited by bucketbrian45; 03-08-2010, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X