Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally got to crank up the amp and use it live!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got to crank up the amp and use it live!

After a few weeks of fooling with this new tube amp in my bedroom, I got to jam with a band.

It was a big suprize when I got it hooked up and started playing, the sound at first was so out of whack after being used to it set for my small room. The place we played in was this huge empty room with hardwood floors, and I didn't stop to think about how acoustics mess with your sound, it has been so long since I have done this.

There was so much natural reverb, I pretty much had to turn it off on the amp.

When I had my DSL 50, I couldn't turn it up past 4 when in the band, but with this amp which is 50 watts also, I had to have it up to like 8 and the drums were still a bit loud compared to it.

Is this due to the fact that I was running a como with a singel speaker compared to a half stack? I mean this may sound dumb, but is 5o watts louder through 4 speakers versus one, or is 50 watts 50 watts ?

I have also heard a lot of stuff about 6l6 tubes not really sounding great versus El34s, but that was mainly from die hard Marshall users, I have to say that I was getting some pretty decent Crunch out of them. I think I may have to get an Eq or something as it was hard to dial in a great tone with the 3 band amp EQ.

I also haven't run it through my 4 x12 with the vintage 30's in it yet, and have heard that they sound much better than the stock Peavey speaker.
    Last edited by Riffmeister; 03-05-2010, 09:20 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

What amp is it?

Your volume is most likely from the lack of a 412. 412's really get the sound out there.
    Jackson USA guitars
    BC Rich guitars

Diezel Herbert
    Diezel VH4
    Framus Cobra
    VHT UL
    Mesa Rectifiers rev C, F, triple F
    Mesa MK3
    Bogner rev 2 Uber

Comment

It's a Peavey Valveking. I didn't think at the time, but the amp is an open back, I don't know if that has anything to do with the volume or not.

Comment

Open back will diffuse the sound more and your bass will not be as tight. I prefer 6L6s because they are tighter with less sag than EL34s, but it's a matter of taste, I guess. I'd get a closed-back 212 or 412 for it to increase your level and get a better bass response.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I have a 4x12 with vintage 30's in it, just don't haven't gotten it out of storage yet to use it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Riffmeister View Post
            It's a Peavey Valveking.
            Well, there's yer problem right there!

J/K
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

you need more speakers bro.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                Well, there's yer problem right there!

J/K

Bwaha!

Yeah! You communist supporter you!
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I'm not all that familiar with your particular amp but also keep in mind that certain amps are voiced in such a way that their percieved volume is louder than another amp. As an example my Marshall Randy Rhoads 100w head sounds way louder than other heads I have which are either also 100w or even 120w. I think its because of the particular frequencies its eq'd to is my guess. All those Marshall upper mids just sound so much louder than anything else I have. Perhaps your particular Peavey falls at the other end of the spectrum? I don't know.
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                    Bwaha!

Yeah! You communist supporter you!
                    Dude it isn't my fault a US company like PEavey is ripping people off by having their amps made somewhere else

I could have sworn I had a piece of crap MArshall solid state amp that was made in Korea by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Riffmeister View Post
                      Dude it isn't my fault a US company like PEavey is ripping people off by having their amps made somewhere else

I could have sworn I had a piece of crap MArshall solid state amp that was made in Korea by the way.
                      So the lessons of the day are:
                      1-Don't buy solid state amps.
                      2-Cheap tube amps are made in Asia.
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                        So the lessons of the day are:
                        1-Don't buy solid state amps.
                        2-Cheap tube amps are made in Asia.

You forgot #3, A cheap tube amp sounds better than a solid state amp anyday

Comment

I think all the lower end ones are now. They just took off the park name and slapped marshall on the cheapies.

Comment

You forgot #3, A cheap tube amp sounds better than a solid state amp anyday
                            +1. I just bought a tube head and pickups that I didn't like because they sounded muddy in a hybrid amp sound awesome with my burega333xl.

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                              I'm not all that familiar with your particular amp but also keep in mind that certain amps are voiced in such a way that their percieved volume is louder than another amp. As an example my Marshall Randy Rhoads 100w head sounds way louder than other heads I have which are either also 100w or even 120w. I think its because of the particular frequencies its eq'd to is my guess. All those Marshall upper mids just sound so much louder than anything else I have. Perhaps your particular Peavey falls at the other end of the spectrum? I don't know.
                              Curse you for having that Randy Rhoads head....How is it? It must rock the socks off of anything lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X