Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey Ultra Plus tubes... Which is which?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Ultra Plus tubes... Which is which?

I got this Ultra Plus head and it's got Sovtek 6l6WXT power tubes and a mix of preamp tubes. IIRC, its 2-EH's, 1-GT, and 1-no markings (all 12ax7's). I believe the Sovtek's are what came from the factory, and the no markings preamp tube was also. The rest must be a prior owners preferences. I'm probably going to put in a full set of JJ's soon but was wondering if anyone knows which preamp tube is for which part of the amp? Like V1 is for clean, V2 is for.... etc.? And because they're not marked, which is V1, V2, V3, V4? They're all in a line sideways under a cover on the back panel.
    Thanks
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

I have Mesa tubes in mine but have a set of old Mullards I may put in there some time down the road.
    Mesa tubes are probably made by Sovtek anyway.
    Great amps BTW love mine.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Your thread and others mentioning it was a good part of me wanting to look at them. I like it much more than the XXX and for me, even the 6505+ heads I tried out.

Comment

i put mine in left to right 1-2-3-4 used all tung sol 12ax7 and I have rubys in the power section.
        as far as i understand it's V1 input - V2 clean - v3 gain -v4 gain

i have the manual if you want it.

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
          I got this Ultra Plus head and it's got Sovtek 6l6WXT power tubes and a mix of preamp tubes. IIRC, its 2-EH's, 1-GT, and 1-no markings (all 12ax7's). I believe the Sovtek's are what came from the factory, and the no markings preamp tube was also. The rest must be a prior owners preferences. I'm probably going to put in a full set of JJ's soon but was wondering if anyone knows which preamp tube is for which part of the amp? Like V1 is for clean, V2 is for.... etc.? And because they're not marked, which is V1, V2, V3, V4? They're all in a line sideways under a cover on the back panel.
          Thanks
          Every amp is different. And most amps use a part of a tube for this, a part of a tube for that (preamp tubes have two halves).

You really want to know? Get the schematic for your amp and start reading.

Also, it sounds like the prior owner took out the good tubes and sold the amp with a bunch of left overs. Happens a lot when people buy used tube stuff. Good idea to swap out all of the tubes.

Comment

My amp is crazy. 12 tubes. 4 6L6 in the power section, 1 5AR4 rectifier, 1 12AT7 reverb, 1 12AX7 PI, 1 12AX7 effects loop, 4 12AX7s gain (only 2 used for clean, all 4 for dirty).

It's going to be a pain to retube.

There's really no way to tell all of this without a schematic, unless the amp builder tells you what each does in the manual. Send Peavey an email.
            Scott

Comment

Well... I have the manual but it doesn't say which does what. And I got the 13 page .pdf schematic from peavey. It has 8 spots on it for the 12ax7's. I didn't know they each had 2 halves. Learn something new every day. I guess I have some reading to do. Thanks.

Comment

i took a look in my amp, and actually i put them in like this - tung sol in 1,2,3 and a sovtek 12ax7lp in slot 4 (phase inverter)

v1- clean channel v-2 clean/crunch v-3 crunch/ultra v-4 phase inverter

i remember i read somewhere - peavey forums likely, that this was the tube configuration for the triple x and that the ultra is basically the same amp and layout.
                i remember now pi was stated to be the slot closest to the power tubes.

let us know if you find otherwise.

Comment

Yes the PI tube would closest to the power tubes, since it's the last step before the power amp section in a class AB amp.
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                    My amp is crazy. 12 tubes. 4 6L6 in the power section, 1 5AR4 rectifier, 1 12AT7 reverb, 1 12AX7 PI, 1 12AX7 effects loop, 4 12AX7s gain (only 2 used for clean, all 4 for dirty).

It's going to be a pain to retube.

There's really no way to tell all of this without a schematic, unless the amp builder tells you what each does in the manual. Send Peavey an email.
                    What is your amp, from your V description sounds like a B52 AT100, a tube for every GD thing.
                    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                      What is your amp, from your V description sounds like a B52 AT100, a tube for every GD thing.
                      Bingo!
                      Scott

Comment

B52 service dept I talked to was very helpful in identifying the V positions for me. Some of the best customer svc. Ive ever encountered.

Comment

Got the JJ high gain set from eurotubes on the way. Be here thursday or friday. I started to notice a hum after about 10 minutes that steadily gets louder the longer I play. I originally thought it may be interference from my kegerator but that's not it thank god!! Most people I mentioned it to say it's most likely just a power tube on the way out. I sure hope so. We'll see later in the week.

Comment

I've never had a tube going give a buzz, but hopefully that's all it is. How loud is the hum? Is it there all the time, or only when you're not playing? Both channels?
                            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                              Got the JJ high gain set from eurotubes on the way. Be here thursday or friday. I started to notice a hum after about 10 minutes that steadily gets louder the longer I play. I originally thought it may be interference from my kegerator but that's not it thank god!! Most people I mentioned it to say it's most likely just a power tube on the way out. I sure hope so. We'll see later in the week.
                              Heh Heh, yes sounds like a power tube going out, surprised it hasnt already. One of my 900s I had a few weeks ago did that but only for about 15 sec before "pop" and a valve faliure LED came on.

Comment

Working...
                              X