This is odd. Distortion Pedal making noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is odd. Distortion Pedal making noise

Hey guys, this is my first post here, so feel free for correcting me on placement of this thread. I think this problem is rather unique though.

I've got an MXR distortion pedal that I really like, And I want to use it in conjunction with my Krank Revolution. However, whenever I turn it on, all output from the guitar stops, and I get a sound almost like the speaker is overloading (like a hum). This ONLY happens on the Krank.

Anyone know the problem? I love this pedal for rythym tones, I've used it so many times on and off stage it looks like it's been through a war! It's an MXR Doubleshot in case anyone was wondering. I'm only deploying it on the clean channel of the amp.

The krank is a really good amp if you're willing to fiddle with it, but since I already have a rythym sound I love from this pedal, I'd like to have the Krank for leads as it's quite good in that dept.

Anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks in advance,

Grim.
    I like EL34s.

Do you mean the pedal is only noisy with this amp? Have you tried it with another amp and it worked o.k.? If so, Have you tried other distortion pedals through your Krank? Was it noisy as well? I'm thinking maybe its the input jack on the amp. Other things to check are of course cables and also make sure you take the battery out of the pedal if you use an AC adapter. I've had pedals get noisy if there was a dead/dying battery in them while using the AC Adapter. I also put a piece of electrical tape on the pedal's battery clip terminals to cover them and prevent them from contacting any metal inside the pedal as I use an AC Adapter. I've also had an adapter go bad once which created noise so try the opposite, try it with a battery instead. And finally, if you are using an AC adapter make sure its the correct one for your pedal rating wise.
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

I hooked a pedal up using a universal AC/DC adapter once - the ones that come with 20 different tips and selectable voltage. It made all kind of nasty hum.
      |My CSG gallery|
      (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

The adapter I'm using is the one that came with the pedal. This is the only dist. pedal I own, but it works will all my other amps okay.

Just to clarify, There is NO output whatsoever from the guitar, just a hum. If I turn the pedal off, every works fine, but with it on all I get is a hum from the amp.

I've asked a buddy of mine who sells high-end stereo equipment, and he has no idea. Possibly not the best source, but I'm equally flummoxed. Thought I'd ask here.
        I like EL34s.

Comment

Can you borrow a pedal from a friend to see if it also does the same thing through your amp as your pedal. If it does then I would assume the problem is in the amp itself.
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Sounds like a grounding problem. If you took the battery out, the battery clip may be touching one of the jacks.
            Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

Originally posted by cvansickle View Post
              Sounds like a grounding problem. If you took the battery out, the battery clip may be touching one of the jacks.
              Thats why I suggested he put a piece of electrical tape on the battery clip. I do that to all my pedals that I run off an AC adapter
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Hey guys,

I was experimenting earlier with my EMG-equipped ESP Horizon NT (Piece of shit, don't buy one) and found something interesting. It's got an 81/85 combo, and through the Peavey 2x12 Renown (shitty 1985 amp but awesome at the same time, if that makes sense) The pedal would work fine on the bridge 'bucker, but when I switched to the neck humbucker, I'd get the squeal/hum.

Just to further your confusion!
                I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                  Thats why I suggested he put a piece of electrical tape on the battery clip. I do that to all my pedals that I run off an AC adapter
                  +1
                  I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Working...
                  X